Pymble


North Shore
16 kilometres north-west of the Sydney Central Business District on Pacific Highway and the Hornsby North Shore railway line, Pymble is a predominantly residential area with tree-lined streets, many substantial homes and gardens, numerous parks, nature reserves, and active pockets of commercial activity.

Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.

Significant Buildings

Pymble Presbytery

Sacred Heart Presbytery: a two-storey house in the Federation Arts and Crafts style, with Gothic touches to the windows. It was built in 1907 and has a state heritage listing.

Ku-ring-gai Town Hall: situated at the top of Pymble Hill on the Pacific Highway. It was formerly the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, which was built in 1934, and is an example of the Inter-War Spanish Mission architectural style. Along with the presbytery next door it is heritage-listed.


Pymble Chapel

Pymble Chapel: formerly Pymble Methodist Church, Pymble Chapel, on the corner of Mona Vale Road and Bromley Avenue, was built in 1879. It was the second church built in Pymble and is the oldest surviving building in the suburb.

Colinroobie: Colinroobie is a two-storey Federation mansion built in the early 20th Century, situated at the corner of the Pacific Highway and Clydesdale Place. It has a state heritage listing.


Grandview

Grandview: a two-storey, Georgian structure made of sandstone. It was built circa 1870 as a bank but is now used as a home. It has a federal heritage listing.

Merrivale: a local stately home in the Regency style and is considered one of the finest examples of its kind in Ku-ring-gai. It has a state heritage listing.

St Swithun's Anglican Church: situsted on Telegraph Road, St Swithun's Anglican Church was built circa 1938 and is an example of the Inter-War Gothic style. It is the only church in Australia named after St Swithun.


Coppins

Coppins: sometimes known as the Eric Pratten house, Coppins was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and built circa 1936. It is one of three large houses designed by Griffin in Ku-ring-gai and is significant because most of his residential buildings were single-storey. It is an example of the Art Deco/Prairie style and has a state heritage listing.

Macquarie Cottage: Macquarie Cottage, in Avon Road, was designed by William Hardy Wilson and built in 1918. It is considered a typical example of Wilson's work and has both state and federal heritage listings.



Sheldon Forest


There are a numerous untouched bush reserves which offer a taste of the original natural beauty of the region, Sheldon Forest being a prime example. A 7ha strip of original bushland wedged between the suburbs of Turramurra and Pymble, it is a rare example of the high forest which once covered the whole of the Upper North Shore. It features natural stands of Blue Gums and Blackbutts on the ridge tops and Coachwood and Sarsparilla along the creek. A track through the forest, which is maintained by the Ku-Ring-Gai Council, can be accessed from Warrigal Street, Jubilee Avenue, Kimbarra Road and Troon Avenue. Sheldon Forest is of high conservation status because it contains some of the last remnants of the endangered ecological communities of Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest and Blue Gum High Forest.

The forest is one of the few remaining pieces of the Blue Gum high forest in the Sydney Basin, and is supported by community bushcare programs. The main walk meanders through rainforest for the most part, following Avondale Creek, that boasts a number of small waterfalls. Avondale Creek has its source near the railway line at Turramurra. It then flows through Sheldon Forest and alongside Avondale Golf Course until being impounded by Avondale dam. It then flows for a further 1km before emptying into Lane Cove River.

Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve


If you ve ever wondered what Sydney looked like before the city took over, then Dalrymple-Hay Nature Reserve on Mona Vale Road is the place to go. It is one of the last remaining blue gum high forests in Sydney. Visitors can escape from the busy rush of Sydney life with a walk among the majestic tall blue gums and blackbutts. Check out the large hollows in the tree trunks as they burst with colours of the beautiful native birds, such as king parrots, rosellas and lorikeets.

Browns Forest Loop Trail is an easy walk through an unspoilt blue gum forest, offering great birdwatching and is an easy walk for children. In the spring, the ground cover of native flowers, such as the blue flax lily and pastel flower, burst into a colourful display. Any time of year, youwill hear the chatter of birds such as rainbow lorikeets, crimson rosellas and king parrots echoing through the bush.

Ku-Ring-Gai Wildflower Garden


Located in the nearby suburb of St Ives, the Ku-ring-gai Wildflower Garden is located on 123 hectares of tranquil bushland on the edge of the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park. It features six walking tracks, picnic areas with BBQs, a playground and a function centre. 125 ha of natural bushland featuring displays of native plants from all over Australia.
Location: Mona Vale Road, St Ives. Open daily 10.00 am - 4.00 pm. Phone (02) 9440 8609
Facilities: picnic and barbecue facilities, playground, light refreshments.

Bobbin Head


Bobbin Head is the most popular spot for visitors on Cowan Creek, no doubt because of its easy access by road from the Sydney suburb of Pymble. Located in the south-west corner of Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park, Bobbin Head has full facilities for visitors by car and boat, the latter having access here to fuel supplies as well as boat repair and maintenance services. It is also a stopping place for ferries travelling to other parts of the Hawkesbury.

May also be accessed via a 4km walking track which leads north from Bobbin Head to Apple Tree Bay and on to Harwood Avenue and Mt. Ku-Ring-Gai railway station. Location: Ku-Ring-Gai Chase Road. Facilities: picnic and barbecue, grassed areas, toilets, public telephone, boat hire, wildlife shop Public transport: train to Turramurra, bus No. 577 to Bobbin Head.

Gordon


In the 1920s, Gordon was considered to be one of the healthiest suburbs on the North Shore line. Situated 116 metres above sea level on the ridge which divides the Lane Cove upper valley from the Upper reaches of Middle Harbour, and at the time in a bushland area, it attracted people who wanted to build their homes in a peaceful, away-from-it-all atmosphere, and yet close to the city. Though the area around Pacific Highway and Gordon railway station can today be described as being well and truly "built up, those parts away from the highway and railway towards the surrounding valleys of Gordon and the neighbouring suburbs of Pymble and West Pymple still enjoy the bushland atmosphere that brought the pioneers settlers here around a century ago.
Turramurra


A hilly, leafy suburb approximately 170 metres above sea level, Turramurra is located 17 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district. On Turramurra's south-eastern boundary, bordering with Pymble is Sheldon Forest, which has some of the best preserved examples of blue gums and turpentine high forest. Turranurra is either the Aboriginal name of the Lane Cove River, or derived from an Aboriginal word meaning 'big hill'. The current name was adopted when the railway station opened in 1890. Like the suburb, its early streets have Aboriginal names.

Turramurra was on a main Aboriginal travelling route from Lane Cove to Cowan Waters and the hilltop here was a resting place for Aborigines making the journey. The white settlers called it Eastern Road. Much of the high forest had been cleared by the 1840s when orchardists began moving into the area. North Turramurra was the site of 'Irish Town', so named because it contained many families of Irish extraction. Johann Henri Rhule was an early Irish settler, establishing a fine orchard in 1847.

Turramurra is a hilly suburb approximately 170 metres above sea level. On the south-eastern boundary, bordering with Pymble is Sheldon Forest, which has some of the best preserved examples of blue gums and turpentine high forest.

North Turramurra is a separate suburb, north of Burns Road. Bobbin Head Road runs in a north-south direction through North Turramurra and then into the Ku-ring-gai National Park. The North Turramurra shops are located next to North Turramurra Public School. Further north are Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park and Ku-ring-gai Creative Arts High School.

South Turramurra is a separate suburb, south of the Comenarra Parkway and centred on Kissing Point Road. South Turramurra is bordered by Lane Cove National Park start of the Great North Walk. Turramurra High School is in South Turramurra.

East Turramurra is an unofficial urban locality of Turramurra. It is situated in the area of Turramurra east of Bobbin Head Road. It has a small shopping area called Princes Street shops.

Sheldon Forest



A strip of natural bushland wedged between the suburbs of Turramurra and Pymble, it is a rare example of the high forest which once covered the whole of the Upper North Shore. It features natural stands of blue gums and blackbutts on the ridge tops and coachwood and sarsparilla along the creek. A track through the forest, which is maintained by the Ku-Ring-Gai Council, can be accessed from Warrigal Street, Jubilee Avenue, Kimbarra Road and Troon Avenue, Pymble.

St Ives



St Ives is a semi-rural suburb on the Upper North Shore of Sydney, some 18 kilometres north of the Sydney Central Business District. St Ives Chase is a separate suburb, to the north. St Ives has wide tree lined streets, larger homes, is surrounded by parks and natural bush, meaning there is plenty of nature to keep you stimulated. Residents believe it is a great place if privacy and quiet neighbours are a must. The general feel is of law abiding, middle class family oriented people on the conservative side of politics. In recent years, quite a few South Africans have settled into the area,meaning if you are a biltong fan, you will be able to find it and other South African food in St Ives (Stanley St).

St Ives is one of the few places in Australia to have a Jewish Eruv, which is a set of small plastic pipes attached to power poles. According to Jewish Law the Eruv turns public space into private space and allows Jewish mothers to push prams on the Sabbath, to attend synagogue with young children and to socialise with friends. Eruvs have been in use since biblical times and today are in place in many major cities - New York, London, Johannesburg, Melbourne and there is one in the eastern Sydney suburb of Bondi. The erection of the Eruv has been a divisive issue in the community.
About Pymble
Based on settlers' accounts the land that came to be known as Pymble was traversed by, and at least periodically inhabited by, what was by that time the "remains" of the Cammeraigal clan or tribe of the Kuringai (also known as Guringai) Aborigines. The Cammeraigal had occupied the land between the Lane Cove River, Hawkesbury and east to the coast. They would travel from grounds at Cowan Creek to the Parramatta River via Pymble - passing west through the land where Pymble Ladies' College now stands, through the Lane Cove Valley and North Ryde. En route they would reportedly hold corroborees at the current site of the Pymble Reservoir on Telegraph Rd and "camped on the hill...at the junction of Merrivale Rd and Selwyn St." According to Robert Pymble, "the Aborigines had faded out by about 1856, mainly because of smallpox."

Pymble is named after Robert Pymble (1776 1861), an influential early settler whose 1823 land grant comprised some 600 acres, around half the land of the region. The other half (plus a large part of St Ives) was granted to Daniel der Matthew's, another influential settler who established the first sawmill in the area.

The region was important to the early Sydney colony as a major supplier of timber for a wide variety of uses. The main timber varieties were blackbutt, stringybark, iron bark and blue gum. In later years it was also an important supplier of agricultural produce. It became widely known for the high quality of its produce and especially for its oranges which had been introduced to the area by Robert Pymble sometime around 1828 and which by later years were grown extensively throughout the region by numerous different growers following land sub-divisions.

Eventually agriculture and small farming gave way to residential development with residential sub-divisions commencing around 1879. The first bank - the Australian Joint Stock Bank - was established in 1888 in a then prominent house known as Grandview built on Pymble Hill ca 1883 by the son of local hotelier Richard Porter. Porter had opened the Gardener's Arms Hotel, also on Pymble Hill, in 1866. From this time the centre of commercial activity came to be at the top of the hill around the Pacific Highway and Bannockburn Road area, but with the railway station being located by necessity at the bottom of the hill development began to shift towards the new railway station at the foot of the hill. Pymble Post Office opened there on 6th August 1890.





  • Get Directions

  • How to get there:
    Public Transport: by train. Pymble station is on the North Shore line.

    The Name
    Pymble is named after Robert Pymble (1776 1861), an influential early settler whose 1823 land grant comprised some 600 acres, around half the land of the locality.

This website is published as information only. Please direct enquiries about places and services featured to the relevant service provider. | About Us | Email us

Design and concept © 2019 Australia For Everyone | W3Layouts