In the 1920s, Gordon was considered to be one of the healthiest suburbs on the North Shore line. Situated 116 metres above sea level on the ridge which divides the Lane Cove upper valley from the Upper reaches of Middle Harbour, and at the time in a bushland area, it attracted people who wanted to build their homes in a peaceful, away-from-it-all atmosphere, and yet close to the city. Though the area around Pacific Highway and Gordon railway station can today be described as being well and truly "built up, those parts away from the highway and railway towards the surrounding valleys of Gordon and the neighbouring suburbs of Pymble and West Pymple still enjoy the bushland atmosphere that brought the pioneers settlers here around a century ago.
Gordon Rotary Market
Near Gordon Railway Station, Gordon
Trading: 2nd Sunday of the Month - 8:30am - 3pm
Phone: (02) 9418 2373
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
St John the Evangelist Church of England, Gordon: This historic church, built in 1872, is an historic point of interest in this charming suburb. The church replaced an early one built in 1832 and destroyed by a bushfire in 1862. Ten years later, renowned Sydney architect Edmund Blackett was called in the design its replacement. The church's graveyard is the resting place of many well-known pioneers of the North Shore district and early residents of Gordon.
Eryldene: A well known house in Gordon, designed by William Hardy Wilson (1881-1955) for Prof. Eben Gowrie Waterhouse, an expert of camelias, and his wife, Janet. The camelia gardens at Caringbah in Sydney's south are named in his honour. The house was designed to link with its formal garden setting, which was laid out by Wilson and Professor Waterhouse and is testimony to their shared interest in the Orient. In 1993, the house opened as a museum and operates under the administration of a Trust. It is open to the public at set times from April to September. The house has beautiful gardens and is particularly worth visiting when camelias are in bloom.
17 McIntosh Street, Gordon. Ph (02) 9498 2271
A strip of natural bushland wedged between the suburbs of Turramurra and Pymble, it is a rare example of the high forest which once covered the whole of the Upper North Shore. It features natural stands of blue gums and blackbutts on the ridge tops and coachwood and sarsparilla along the creek. A track through the forest, which is maintained by the Ku-Ring-Gai Council, can be accessed from Warrigal Street, Jubilee Avenue, Kimbarra Road and Troon Avenue. Jubilee Avenue, Pymble. The track meanders through the beautiful bushland, along ridge tops, through open forest on the hill slopes and down to the creek side. Sheldon Forest is of high conservation status because it contains some of the last remnants of the endangered ecological communities Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest and Blue Gum High Forest.
UBD Map 174 Ref E 1. Public transport: train to Pymble. Walk north along Pacific Hwy, left into Beechworth rd, right into Ashmore Ave.
There are many small waterfalls and rapids on the creeks of Sydney's upper north shore and this is one of the more well known and accessible of them. Located in St. Johns Bush, it is a short, easy walk from the lower end of St Johns Ave. beyond the Gordon Golf Course. A bridge crosses the creek above the falls though the view of the falls there says is partly obscured by bush. A walking path leads to the falls, which has two drops of approx. 3 metres each. The walking path joins with the Blackbutt Track, a fire trail which leads to Blackbutt Reserve through which flows Blackbutt Creek. Blackbutt Creek has some of the tallest Blackbutts, along with attractive Turpentines and Peppermint woodland. Blackbutt Reserve, St Johns Avenue, Gordon.d running back from the river from Mitchell's old road. Today this road is flanked by rockeries and chimneys in the bush. There is no sign of habitation on the Engadine side of the river.