Buckham Falls, Shrimptons Creek
Approximately 3.3 kilometres in length, Shrimptons Creek flows from south to north in a reasonably straight direction, emptying into Lane Cover River in Lane Cove National Park. Shrimptons Creek Parklands is comprised of seven parks (Santa Rosa Park, Flinders Park, Tindarra Reserve, Greenwood Park, ELS Hall Park, Booth Reserve and Wilga Park) that lie adjacent to this creek. The creek rises in Santa Rosa Park at Denistone East. Shrimpton Creek is named after Second Fleet convict Richard Shrimpton (1764-1827). He received a 50-acre land grant in the Eastern Farms District (bounded by Modern Quarry and Bridge Roads, Ryde), land through which the creek flows. By 1802 he was cultivating numerous crops on the banks of the creek, employing two free men and a convict. Shrimptons Creek flows over Buckham Falls (also known as Blaxland's Falls) between Talavera Road and the Lane Cove River. Located in a narrow and generally unvisited section of Lane Cove National Park, it can be accessed via a rough track which commences at the end of Christie Road, and then doubles back towards Shrimptons Creek when it reaches the river.
Emptying into the western banks of the Lane Cove River, Porters Creek was originally part of the Field of Mars Common. It has its source in North Ryde. The stream is today piped under the North Ryde Waste Transfer Station then flows through a velocity dissipator and then in a normal creek channel to the Lane Cove River. Much of the creek is located within the non-residential suburb Macquarie Park, which is a parcel of crown land that was given over for use as a memorial cemetery in the early part of the twentieth century (the first burial on the site was in 1922). Porters Bridge was constructed during the Depression of the 1930s to provide unemployment relief. The stone came from quarries within the National Park near Porters Creek. Porters Creek is named after Richard Porter, a Pymble orchardist who grew up on his parent's farm at Kissing Point.
Blue Gum Creek
This creek originates in west Chatswood and flows through urban bushland to meet the Lane Cove River near Fullers Bridge. The first permanent settlement in the area was north of Blue Gum Creek where, in 1814, William Henry established a hut and vineyards on the present Fullers Park which he called Millwood Farm. Other settlers followed Henry into the valley, gaining access to their properties from the river. Robert Baker established an orchard on what is now The Pines picnic area and his kitchen building remains within the park workshop area. The Schwartz family farmed the area upstream of Baker, below their home which still stands in the park. North of De Burghs Bridge was the Brown family, after whom Browns Waterhole is named. The majestic Blue Gum trees along the Lane Cove River and its tributaries, for which the creek was named, were first harvested for Governor Macquarie s great building programs in the 1810s, and were floated down the river to the port of Sydney.
Recalls Isaac Archer, who was granted 80 acres through which this watercourse runs. Isaac Archer was a private in Capt. Campbell's company of marines and he received his grant of land from Governor Phillip in 1972.
The alluvial soil along the eastern banks of the Lane Cove River between Blue Gum Creek and Swaines Creek were developed as orchards by the Jenkins and Fuller families. Thomas Jenkins (1829-90) was born in the Lane Cove district and opened a fruit business in York Street Markets in 1847. It remained a family business until 1963. The woods after which Chatswood was named are believed to have been located on or around Swaines Creek. Chatswood is derived from the name Chattie's Wood. Charlotte Harnett, the wife of early developer Richard Hayes Harnett, used to wander from the Harnett Estate near the present Chatswood Railway Station to paint in the nearby woods. Her husband named them Chattie's Wood. Swaines Creek is believed to have been named after John Swaine who was granted land in the area in 1818.
Mars Creek takes its name from the Field of Mars. The area was named by Governor Phillip the 'Field of Mars', Mars being the ancient God of war, named to reflect the military association with these new settlers. Today's Field of Mars Reserve is the remnant of a district which once extended from Dundas to the Lane Cove River. These grants were followed soon after by grants to ten emancipated convicts in February 1792, the land being further to the east of the marines grants, thus the area was called Eastern Farms or the Eastern Boundary. By 1794 the name Eastern Farms had given way to Kissing Point, a name believed to have originated from the way in which heavily laden boats passing up the Parramatta River bumped or 'kissed' the rocky outcrop which extends into the river at today's Kissing Point. Mars Creek flows under the M2 Motorway toll plaza at Macquarie Park and enters Lane Cove River nearby.
Thought to recall timber merchant Enoch William Rudder. Rudder was a Birmingham manufacturer who migrated to the Colony of New South Wales in 1834. Like many newly arrived entrepreneurs, he hunted cedar for export. He passed through the Lane Cove area briefly before his explorations led him to the Macleay River in 1835, which Europeans had discovered and named only a few years earlier. Rudder was the first settler on the east bank of the Macleay River and established Kempsey. The valley of Rudder Creek, like many small creeks in the Sydney region, has yet to be rehabilitated to its natural state and is still overrun by non-native plants.
De Burgh Creek
The name recalls Ernest Macartney de Burgh, who designed the first bridge over the creek in 1899. It opened on 23rd February 1901. It was situated downstream from the current bridge, within metres at the southern end, and about 20 metres away from the current bridge at the northern end. The bridge consisted of a single De Burgh timber truss which, at 50 m, was the longest timber truss span ever built in Australia. Unfortunately the old bridge was destroyed by bushfire in January 1994. One can see the northern abutment on the ground, and can also see parts of the supporting piers from the vantage point of the current bridge. The creek enters Lane Cove River downstream from the bridge. De Burgh was a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, London.
Possibly named after Kitty Ingally, whose is listed as a 10 year old child among the Kissing Point people in the 1836 Returns. The Ingally family lived in the vicinity of this creek at what is today East Ryde. Kittys Creek has been subject to bush regeneration works.
Recalls a logger's camp in the area.
A small creek that rises in the bush surrounding the Gordon Golf Course. Links Creek flows into Falls Creek. Golf courses were once known as golf links.
Little Blue Gum Creek
Like most of the Lane Cove Valley, the area around Little Blue Gum creek was logged for its tall, upright trees. Turpentine, used to build wharves from as far a field as the London Docks. Black Butt which is still one of Australia's most important commercial timbers and of course Sydney Blue Gum, which once supplied the government store in the 1800 s with ships timbers and house planks. Based on old photographs the bushland around Little Blue Creek has been returned to its pre-European settlement condition. A short raised boardwalk follows the creek from the corner of Lady Game Drive and Grosvenor Road, Lindfield.
A creek in the upper reaches of Lane Cove River that forks near its head. One branch can be accessed from Browns Field on Campbell Drive, Fox Valley, the other from Twin Creeks Reserve, Turramurra. The reserves have good walking paths, but with some rough or steep sections. Allow 3 hours for a round trip walk.
Tis creek has its source near the railway line at Turramurra. It then flows through Sheldon Forest and alongside Avondale Golf Course until being impounded by Avondale dam. It then flows for a further 1km before emptying into Lane Cove River.
There are still a few Aboriginal sites in the Lane Cove Valley containing rock carvings of kangaroos, an echidna, animal tracks and human-like drawings. The carving of a wombat and a sea-creature, as well as axe-grinding grooves, can be found near the headwaters of Carters Creek.
This 2km long creek is the closest tributary to the source of Lane Cove River. It rises in The Glade Reserve behind Abbottsleigh Senior College at Normanhurst. Coups Creek and the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway form the western boundary of the Ku-ring-gai Council area. The creek was named after the Coups family. Peter Coups, born between 1795 and 1803 (sources vary) near Manchester, England, was convicted with two others for Theft and Transported in December 1818 to New South Wales, arriving in 1819 aboard the Baring. He was granted a Ticket of Leave on 28 July 1825. Peter Coups married Hannah Martin in May 1830. They settled in the Fox Valley area and had four children.
Brickmakers Creek is prominently located in the popular Boronia Park Reserve in Hunters Hill. Brickmakers Creek flows through Boronia Park Reserve, over Tipperary Falls and into Lane Cove River and Sydney Harbour. Nearby clay pits were once used in the manufacture of bricks, hence the creek's name.
Located within Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, the creek's source is in a recreation reserve near Mona Vale Road, Tumbledown Dick not far from the head of Wirreanda Creek. The upper section is quite shallow before it drops to a ten metre wide pool at Upper Gledhill Falls. The main site starts as a six metre wide pool at then becomes very narrow, ending at a lower pool at Lower Gledhill Falls. McCarrs Creek Road, which runs along much of the northern section of McCarrs Creek, is sealed and it is frequently used as a tourist drive as the bushland scenery here is very pretty. Upper Glenhill falls are near the National Park's south-eastern entrance off McCarrs Creek Road below the first bridge across the creek when approached from Terrey Hills. The valley of the gorge in which the water cascades offers the best view of the falls and the pool, however there is no path down so great care must be taken if attempting a descent into the gorge.
Originally named Pitt Inlet by Gov. Phillip, it has appeared on maps in the 1830s as South West Arm. The origin of the name is not known and to add to the mystery, there is no record of a settler in the area by that name in the early 1800s when the name first began appearing on maps. Back then it was spelt "MacAa's Creek", which indicates it could be an abbreviation of a longer "Mac" name, either starting with A (eg. MacAlpine) or R (eg. MacRoberts). It has been theorised that the person in question might be John Macarthur of The Rum Rebellion fame. He owned a farm at Pennant Hills from which naturalist George Caley embarked in 1805 to explore a ridge from Thornleigh to Fox Valley, Warrawee and Turramurra and then on to Cowan Creek. Caley would have crossed the creek in his travels and may have named it after the expedition's benefactor. The name began appearing on maps soon after Caley's journey. UBD Map 117 Ref F 13
A tributary of McCarrs Creek, it runs from north of Mona Vale Road down to the main creek which flows into Pittwater. The upper section of the creek is three metres wide and becomes shallower as it moves downstream. The western side of this sub-catchment is mostly cleared for semi-rural use. The eastern side lies in the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park and the remaining area is made up of reserves and public land.
Cicada Glen Creek
While camping beside the creek, early explorers found the sound of cicadas deafening, hence its name. Cicada Glen Creek begins near Mona Vale Road then flows through Ingleside and Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park before flowing into McCarrs Creek at McCarrs Creek Reserve in Church Point. It Cicada Glen Creek begins as a six metre wide pool lined with boulders and rocks then becomes narrow and shallow. There are a number of illegal weirs and dams built on the creek.
Crystal Creek is a tributary of McCarrs Creek. As its name suggests, Crystal Creek is a comparatively pristine waterway that is small and undeveloped, lying completely within the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, and is therefore relatively undisturbed. It begins as a shallow six metre pool then drops twenty metres down a waterfall into another shallow pool. It contains many smaller rock pools which are home to Freshwater Crayfish although we were unable to find any.
A short watercourse at the southern tip of Pittwater. It rises near Suzanne Road Bayview, and is joined by two smaller branches within Bayview Golf Course. It enters Pittwater through a lined channel at Winji Jimmi Bay. Known as Winnererremy Swamp in the early days of European settlement, the name was applied to the Bayview area. Water drained into the swamp from the surrounding hillsides and flowed into Pittwater through a meandering mangrove lined channel called the "Newport Maze" on the eastern side of Pittwater Road. Later, the creek was known as Shaw's Creek after the local blacksmith, who also built boats near the creek. Changes to the waterway were undertaken in 1920 by New Zealand sheep farmer John Orr, who developed the golf course, through which the waterway still flows, though much reduced in scale. Orr ran sheep on the property, and, as he and his wife were golfers, he constructed six holes for their amusement. This was a difficult task amidst swampland, but the Orrs mounded dirt up to plant the first fairways; then gradually filled in the rest.
Salvation Creek Falls
Salvation Creek flows into Pittwater through Lovett Bay. Lovett Bay is named after John Lovett who lived here in 1836. It was named Night Bay in the survey of 1869. It rises in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park near the junction of the Wallaroo and Salvation Loop Walking Tracks. The creek was made famous by the Susan Duncan books "Salvation Creek" and "The House".
A short watercourse on the Barrenjoey Head peninsula. It empties into Salt Pan Cove on Pittwater.
Careel Creek is a short watercourse on the Barrenjoey Head peninsula. The creek begins near the Avalon Recreation Centre and flows into Pittwater at Careel Bay.
Situated in the Crown of Newport Reserve, McMahons Creek flows between Newport Beach and Bilgola Plateau. The creek is shallow and narrow, lined with rocks and boulders. Residential properties surround the main body of the Reserve containing the creek. Sections of the creek have had to be reconstructed with sandstone boulders, after collapsing due to residential development nearby.
Located on the edge of the Katandra Bushland Sanctuary. It is situated on the face of the Ingleside escarpment, overlooking the Warriewood Valley and Mona Vale. Within the sanctuary there is a shallow pool which intermittently flows down a rocky landscape to another shallow pool. The site is lined with boulders and is shaded by rainforest vegetation.
The name is possibly an Aboriginal bird name or an Aboriginal woman named Narrabin. Another source suggests it is an aboriginal name for a source of fresh water. The name first appeared on the maps of Surveyor James Meehan in 1814 as Narrabang Creek. In 1830, the lakes were first called Narrabine Lagoon. Narrabeen Creek flows into Millet Creek near Jacksons Road, North Narrabeen. Narrabeen Creek flows from Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park to Narrabeen Lagoon. The creek has been used as a stormwater channel for a long time and in 1995 it was determined as the most polluted creek in the Pittwater Council area. The banks have been modified, a detention basin, two gross pollutant traps and a culvert have been installed, and a small wetland has been constructed in the lower sub-catchment in order to try and improve the quality of the creek.
Descriptive of the vegetation that was dominant in the creek's valley.
Flows into Narrabeen Lakes close to where they enter the ocean at North Narrabeen. The creek commences as a spring above Monash Country Club, Ingleside. It is dammed at the golf club. A branch of Millet Creek rises further north, in the vicinity of King Road, Ingleside. The two branches join near Irrawong Reserve, Warriewood. Mullet Creek passes over a series of three falls, the most easily accessed being the lower falls which is a short level walk from the corner of Irrawong Road and Epworth Place, Warriewood. Featured is a rock overhang which provides shelter for picnickers and a pool which for years has been a popular swimming hole for local children. UBD Map 138 Ref A 11
Deep Creek flows into Narrabeen Lakes from the north. Its name is presumably descriptive.
Not to be confused with Middle Harbour Creek nearby. So named because it is the middle of three creeks that flow into Narrabeen Lakes. Middle Creek makes two drops into the valley of picturesque Oxford Falls Recreation Reserve where Oxford Falls Road fords the creek at Oxford Falls. Interestingly, the falls are not on Oxford Creek, as could reasonably be supposed. Together they are the highest falls in the Sydney metropolitan region, however there is no viewing platform, and the only way to see them is from the head of the falls or from the valley below, which is dense bushland. UBD Map 157 Ref B 13
A tributary of Middle Creek. The creek was originally named Bloodwood Gully, because of the made bloodwood trees that grew here. Its name was changed to Oxford Creek in 1902 when the suburb of Oxford Falls was gazetted. The suburb of Oxford Falls north of Sydney formed out of a land grant made to Alexander Bowen and takes its name from a set of waterfalls at Middle Creek. Formerly a farming district, Oxford Falls has remained semi rural with the suburb surrounded by national park land. The origin of the name is not known.
So named because enters Narrabeen Lakes from the south.
A tributary of Middle Creek. The name is descriptive.
Wheeler Creek forms part of the border between the suburbs of Oxford Falls and Cromer. The name of the creek and the nearby suburb of Wheeler Heights is taken from a pioneer European settler, James Wheeler, who purchased land here and built a home for his family near the creek in 1836.
A tributary of Oxford Creek, the creek rises in the vicinity of Glenaeon Retirement Village in Glenaeon Avenue, Belrose.
Middle Harbour Creek
So named because it is the major creek to flow into Middle Harbour. It was at a rocky bar separates the salt waters of Middle Harbour from the fresh water of Middle Harbour Creek, that an exploration party dispatched by Captain Arthur Phillip camped on the night of 16th April 1788. It was the first of a number of inland treks dispatched by Phillip in his quest to find land which could provide a reliable food source for the colony. After having landed at and named Manly the previous day, they followed Middle Harbour to this spot, which was described by a party member as "the most desert wild and solitary seclusion the imagination can form any idea of". Except for the bush track which takes you there, this little corner of paradise looks today exactly as it would have done to Phillip's band of pioneers. Access is via one of the many walking tracks in the National Park, or by the Founders Way Walking Track which roughly follows the path taken by the explorers of 1788 as they headed out of the valley towards what is now Pennant Hills after their overnight sojourn at Bungaroo. The 1.5 km track has its entrance off Hunter Avenue, St Ives and winds down to the spot where Phillip's party camped. Signposts along the track provide historical background and information on the flora and fauna. Bungaroo is Aboriginal name for the Salt Water Turtle. UBD Map 175 Ref L 2
Frenchs Creek Lower Falls
A tributary of Middle Harbour Creek, its name recalls James Ffrench, a special constable and crown land ranger, who came to the area also named after him - Frenchs Forest - in 1856 and acquired 46 acres. After Oxford Falls, a pair of waterfalls on the upper reaches of Frenchs Creek would have to be the most visually stunning of all waterfalls of the inner Sydney metropolitan area after rain. Located off the badly eroded Frenchs Creek Walking Track in Garigal National Park, they consist of a pair of giant steps a hundred or so metres apart over which the creek flows on its way from the top of the escarpment into the valley below. Access to the top of each falls is good, however for the best view (from the rock pools at their base) one has to struggle down a steep, rugged hillside while pushing through dense undergrowth. This is quite dangerous, especially after rain when the foliage overhead and ground underfoot is damp, slippery and unstable. Unfortunately, this is when the falls are at their most spectacular. Access is via the walking track at the end of Wannita Road, Belrose. UBD Map 156 Ref B 13
A tributary of Middle Harbour Creek. The creek flows west through Garigal National Park, while the steep headwaters originate to the North of the sub-catchment, immediately South of Mona Vale Road.
A tributary of Middle Harbour Creek, its name recalls a brickworks established beside by the creek in 1885 by the Hews family on land purchased from pioneer settler, James Ffrench.
A tributary of Middle Harbour Creek, which first flows into Frenchs Creek north of Davidson. The creek takes its name from Bornis Reserve, Davidson, where it begins. A section of The Cascades Track in Garigal National Park follows Borgnis Creek.
Carroll Creek is a tributary of Middle Harbour Creek, it has its source in the ridges of Belrose in an area known as Sorlie.
Gordon Creek is a tributary of Middle Harbour Creek, the name Gordon had its origin as the Gordondale Estate, the estate owned by Robert McIntosh in what is now the suburb of Gordon. McIntosh's estate had in turn taken its name from the Parish of Gordon, in the County of Cumberland named in the Surveyor-Generalship of Sir Thomas Mitchell (1828-1855). This parish roughly corresponded with the area of the Shire of Ku-Ring-Gai, gazetted in 1906. The name Gordon was allocated by Mitchell to honour a superior officer and friend, Sir James Willoughby Gordon, who held the position of Quartermaster-General of the Horse Guards, London.
Rocky Creek is a tributary of Middle Harbour Creek, its name is descriptive. The creek rises in Richmond Park, Gordon, and flows through Gordon Park under the name of Stony Creek. It is joined by High Ridge Creek at Governor Phillip Reserve, where it becomes Rocky Creek.
High Ridge Creek
High Ridge Creek is a tributary of Rocky Creek that eventually flows into Middle Harbour Creek. Its name is probably called High Ridge Creek because its source is in the high ridges of St Ives.
Moores Creek is a tributary of Middle Harbour Creek, its name recalls Thomas Moore who owned Echo Farm from the 1880s and was also the owner of land on the plateau of East Roseville. Moore probably used the access track now known as Griffith Avenue to reach the area near Roseville Bridge where he carried out boat building. Moores Farm Cottage was where today stands Roseville Golf Course. Little Diggers Track: a pleasant walk through the bush around Moores Creek starts at the corner of Merlin Street and Roseville Avenue, Roseville along the Little Diggers Track. This well maintained track follows Moores Creek through a fern gully. Along the way you pass numerous caves where evidence of Aboriginal habitation has been found, passing Casuarina woods, Llewellin Falls, Carlyle Falls, Little Falls, Babbage Falls and Goblers Glen. Continue on via the Two Creeks Track to Middle Harbour, or a shorter walk, enter or exit the track via an accessway at the back of the children's playground on Carlyle Road. The falls beyond the bridge across Moores Creek near Carlyle Road is unusual in that the water does not flow over the rocky ledge of the falls but through it, the falls themselves being inside a rock ledge. UBD Map 175 Ref M 13
Flat Rock Creek
A short creek, and one of two creeks by that name that flow into Middle Harbour. This one rises on the Killarney Heights headland. It tumbles down the escarpment in a number of spectacular falls and races before entering the bay at the head of Flat Rock Beach. The beach and the falls behind it can be accessed via the Flat Rock Walking Track from Killarney Point, from a track at the end of Killarney Drive and from the Magazine Track which passes behind the historic Bantry Bay explosives compound. Access to the falls at various stages of its descent into the harbour is available off the Killarney Drive track but should not be attempted unless you are a confident bushwalker. UBD Map 196 Ref K 3
Greendale Creek flows into Curl Curl Lagoon. Its named is derived from the home of pioneer settler William Frederick Parker who carved his farm out of the heavy bushland of the valley with the help of convict labour. A small village named Greendale grew near the house but its name was changed to Brookvale as there was already a Greendale in Sydney, near Bringelly.
The name is believed descriptive of the locality where the son of pioneer settler William Frederick Parker built Brooklands House in 1877 on the site of Warringah Mall Shopping Centre.
So named because it flows into Manly Lagoon. The name Manly was bestowed by NSW's first governor Arthur Phillip who first explored Middle Harbour in 1788 and noted that the male Aborigines had a "manly and noble bearing". He called the locality where he made first contact with them Manly Cove.
Burnt Bridge Creek
Burnt Bridge Creek is a tributary of Manly Creek, the name is probably derived from the fact that a bridge built across it in the early days of settlement was burnt down.
Bates Creek Falls
Bates Creek flows into Bantry Bay. Named after 2nd fleet convict Thomas Bates who became a soldier after his emancipation. Thomas later ran a successful boat building business on the shores of Cockle Bay (Darling Harbour). Thomas's business prospered and he bought land in other parts of the colony, including 80 acres at Gordon and 60 acres at Hunters Hill. Bates Creek flowed through his Gordon property. The creek flows over a 16 metre high waterfall deep in the relatively untouched bushland of Garigal National Park at the northern end of Bantry Bay. Featuring evidence of Aboriginal occupation in the overhangs nearby, the falls are hard to reach these days as a track to the base of them was swallowed up by regenerating bush after a fire swept through the valley in the 1980s. Access, such as it is, is via the Cook Street Track which has entry points in Cook Street and Currie Road, Forestville. The Bay and Magazine Tracks take bushwalkers past three smaller races and falls on the Main Creek. The Bay Track can be accessed from the eastern shore of Bantry Bay or from the end of Grattan Crescent. When walking the Bay Track you will come across the Natural Bridge Track. The natural rock bridge to which it leads is nestled deep in the valley and takes the track over Main Creek. The track continues up the steep hill to the Bluff Lookout which offers panoramic views south across Bantry Bay. UBD Map 176 Ref G 13
This creek rises in North Willoughby and flows into Crag Cove, Middle Harbour. Settlement of the area dates from 1858 when the first land grants were made, although growth was slow due to isolation, precipitous land and access being limited to the water. It is believed the creek received its name as it was by it that the pioneer settlers first camped.
This creek rises in North Willoughby and flows into Crag Cove, Middle Harbour. The creek's name is derived from The Sugarloaf, a large rocky headland where Crag Cove and Castle Cove meet at Sugarloaf Bay before entering Middle Harbour. Butt Park, named after Francis Walter Butt, a Willoughby resident and Alderman 1937-41, is located on Eastern Valley Way. It is in this small reserve that Sugarloaf Creek passes over a natural rock ledge in a waterfall, and then under Eastern Valley Way and through a rainforest before entering Crag Cove. The waterfall and pool into which it pours is a natural feature, however the creek prior and after the falls and pond has been channelled underground. UBD Map 196 Ref D 10. Downstream from Eastern Valley Way, the creek flows over another much larger falls. Here, the water cascades into a 15 metre high semi-circular rock overhang into a pool, and then passes over and around giant boulders. This extremely picturesque falls is accessed by a rough walking track from a small reserve alongside 71 Sunnyside Crescent, Castlecrag.
UBD Map 196 Ref F 11.
Scotts Creek flows into Castle Cove, Middle Harbour. Scotts Creek is recognised as one of the most degraded watercourses within the Willoughby Council area. It runs from the Chatswood CBD and industrial area to the beautiful Sugarloaf Bay. The high number of point sources entering the bushland and the physical characteristics of Scotts Creek means that the whole of the creek is receiving polluted urban runoff. To assist in the regeneration of bushland adjacent to Scotts Creek, at Muston Park, the concrete channel that once was part of Scotts Creek has been turned into a natural watercourse again. The channel was relined with sandstone and weirs were created.
Flat Rock Creek, Artarmon
Flat Rock Creek
Flat Rock Creek is one of two creeks by that name that flow into Middle Harbour, this one rises at Artarmon and enters the harbour via Long Bay, Northbridge. Flat Rock Gully was once a natural valley with waterfalls, and a tidal estuary. Naremburn Falls, which flowed into Flat Rock Gully at present day Bicentennial Reserve at Halstom Park, was the highest waterfall in the Sydney region. Amazingly, it was filled in as a rubbish tip win the 1920s after residential development upsteam had reduced the creek's flow to a trickle. The bush of upper Flat Rock Gully provides habitat for some rare plant and animal communities and forms a valuable natural resource for environmental education. Though Naremburn Falls no longer exist, the creek still flows over a series of pretty cascades and down through the steep valley now occupied by Munro Park and Tunks Park before emptying into Long Bay and Middle Harbour.
A walk up the valley to the cascades is a rewarding experience. The view upwards as you pass under the Northbridge Suspension Bridge is not something one sees every day. Beyond the bridge is the rock quarry from which stone for the bridge piers was hewn and brought to the construction site by barge. The path then wanders through the serene natural bushland of the upper valley. After the path crosses the creek via stepping stones, the valley narrows and becomes a gorge. Here the creek passes over a series of picturesque cascades. Two steep paths lead from the cascades to Flat Rock Gully Reserve and Bicentennial Reserve on Small Street, Willoughby. Dawson's Track passes the ruins of the stone house of a hermit Fatty Dawson.
UBD Map 22 Ref P 5
These creeks flow into the Hawkesbury River
Cowan Creek is the same name as that of the village of Cowan. It was first recorded in 1826 when William Bean sought a land grant, but it was officially known through most of the 19th century as "The South West Arm". The origin of the name is open to conjecture. It is said to be named after a place in Scotland, however it is also said to be of Aboriginal origin, meaning 'big water'. The south branch of Cowan Creek rises in North Pymble Park, Birubi Avenue, North Pymble, and flow north through Cowan Creek Reserve.
A creek which flows through the northern section of Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park, and empties into Yeomans Bay in Cowan Creek.