Warriewood


Warriewood, on Sydney's Northern Beaches, lies between Mona Vale to the north, Ingleside to the west and North Narrabeen to the south and extends east to the ocean at Warriewood Beach. Narrabeen creek flows through the middle of Warriewood valley and Mullet creek at its southern edge. The wetlands of Warriewood are important as a habitat for many birds, including migratory birds, native mammals and frogs. There are also a significant number of Swamp Mahogany trees.


Warriewood Blowhole

Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
Beaches
Warriewood Beach: UBD Map 138 Ref K 10. Bruce Street, Warriewood. The unique shape of the beach contributes greatly to the unusual and at times very challenging surfing conditions. These conditions restrict its appeal to the more ardent surfer, those seeking more gentle conditions tend to go elsewhere. A walk along the coastal track to the north as far as Newport and south to Long Reef is invigorating.
Facilities: patrolled by lifesavers, changerooms, toilets, kiosk and milk bar (nearby), showers
Public transport: ferry to Manly, bus No. 155. Alight at cnr Narrabeen Rd & Hunter St. Warriewood



Turimetta Beach: UBD Map 138 Ref L 13. Park Parade, Warriewood. A small sheltered beach that benefits from its location but is light on facilities and at times suffers from high bacteria levels emanating from a nearby sewage outfall. A great spot to start or complete a walk around Narrabeen Head.
Facilities: not patrolled, toilets and open shower at nearby Narrabeen Park Parade.
Public transport: ferry to Manly, bus No. 155. Alight at Narrabeen Reserve, Sydney Rd, North Narrabeen.

Turimetta Headland



Turimetta Headland is the most southerly of the string of rocky headlands of the northern beaches, the most prominent of which is also the most northerly - Barrenjoey Headland. Turametta Head separates Warriewood Beach from Mona Vale Beach.

Turimetta Headland Walk: A moderately easy walk, 30 leisurely minutes one way including the loop path. Highlights: a long bush walk to secluded the Cockle and She-Oak scenic lookouts and rest areas, as well as insights into the past coastal lifestyle of the Guringai Aborigines. The walk begins at Narrabeen Park Prade, Warriewood. More information

Bicentennial Coastal Walkway



This walk consists of a series of headland pathways and lookouts connecting the ends of each beach form a continuous coastline route which stretches along Sydney s northern coastline between Manly and Palm Beach. It can be walked as a whole or in individual sections. The links on this page focus on the northern sections of the walk that fall within the Pittwater Council area. The walk begins at Barrenjoey Headland, just beyond Palm Beach, Sydney s most northern coastal beach. The track exhibits the coastal heath ecosystem that used to be spread all over the Warringah area, and has been extensively regenerated since 1991.

As most access to Pittwater was by ship, Barrenjoey Headland and Palm Beach were a focal point during the early settlement of the area. During the early part of the nineteenth century, it was mainly being used by fishermen. However a number of smugglers also called it home.

Mullet Creek Falls



Mullet Creek passes over a series of three falls and cascades on its way to Narrabeen Lakes from the high ground of Ingleside at Warriewood, in Sydney s northern coastal suburbs. The most easily accessed is the lower falls which is a short level walk from the corner of Irrawong Road and Epworth Place, Warriewood. Featured is a rock overhang which provides shelter for picnickers and a pool which for years has been a popular swimming hole for local children. UBD Map 138 Ref A 11

Scarred trees are along the length of Mullet Creek, denoting it was a sacred place to our original custodians as well as a source of abundant food and fresh, pure water. The area itself is marked as 'swamp' on early nineteenth century maps but it was and is part of Warriewood s Wetlands and home to more then 170 species of birds, some migratory, with Dusky Moorhens and wood ducks sheltering in its reed beds or lyrebirds and bush turkeys in its heathlands and forests. Frogs and native mammals such as echidnas, swamp wallabies, gliders and bandicoots also flourish along its lengths.

Mullet creek is formed from two flows, one from the north which runs from Mona Vale Road via the Westpac Training Centre and Ingleside Park and the other from the south, originating at Monash Golf club. The northern branch has a waterfall that flows very quickly after heavy rains. Both become one through the Irrawong reserve and form the southern border of Warriewood. The creek accounts for 18% of the water that flows into Narrabeen lagoon. Mullet creek is the largest remaining sandplain wetland in Sydney and supports the largest remaining stand of Swamp Mahogany (eucalyptus robusta) in Sydney. Cabbage trees were once predominant on the flat areas, Melaleuca ericifolia (Swamp Paperbark) still grows in the scrubland, while Swamp Sclerophyll Forest, Freshwater Wetlands and every wildflower these varying areas support bloom in their due seasons.

Koalas

A small remnant of the Koalas which once occupied the whole of the Barrenjoey Peninsula and northern beaches has been given special legal protection as part of a last ditch effort to see if it is possible to recover the population from what otherwise would be certain extinction. This is the first instance anywhere in Australia that a specific Koala population has been given special legal protection. The population occurs between Elanora Heights in the south and Palm Beach to the north, on the Barrenjoey Peninsula. In the thirty years between the 1940s and the 1970s, the population was estimated to be around 123 animals, the largest in the Sydney area, but in 1993 the number was estimated to have dwindled to as little as six.

The primary reason for the decline is the same as for the whole Sydney region, that of habitat loss and fragmentation as the Peninsula has become increasingly urbanised. Only 125 ha of natural bushland remain from the 705 ha on the peninsula in 1946. This has been compounded by road kills and predation by domestic dogs. The building of a retirement village along Avalon Parade at a time when there were not specific planning laws to protect Koala habitat was a major blow to the Barrenjoey Koalas. Local residents have planted 2,000 tress to maintain a food source for the colony. Sighting Koalas is never guaranteed but the most likely places to see them are Attunga and Hewitt Parks, Bilgola, and McKay Reserve, Palm Beach.

Elanora Heights


Narrabeen from Elanora Heights

Elanora Heights is a mainly residential suburb, situated immediately south of Warriewood on the hill above Narrabeen, overlooking Narrabeen Lagoon and the Tasman Sea. The northern side lies next to bushland, which runs to Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, and the south-western side adjoins Garigal National Park. Native wildlife is common in the area, with bandicoots, blue tongue lizards, possums and many birds being seen. A rare quoll has been found in the suburb in recent years, and rock wallaby are commonly seen on the course at Elanora Country Club. Elanora Heights is home to some of the largest homes in Pittwater.

Elanora Heights is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning "home by the sea" or "home by the water" and the word Heights meaning "Up high". Elanora Heights takes its name from the geographical location, on the hill near the lagoon. The suburb came into existence as the Elanora Heights Estate in 1929. Earlier settlements had taken the form of an attempted coal mining camp. Members of Royal Sydney Golf Club purchased a large parcel of land about 1920 which laid the basis for Elanora Country Club which opened in 1922. The name was officially abbreviated to Elanora in the late 20th century, however the full name has continued to be used.

History of Warriewood



Much of the area was marked as swampy on early 19th Century maps. James Jenkins was granted 350 acres here and by 1829 had established Cabbage Tree Hill farm. Later the Macpherson family farmed this land which was known as Warriewood. As the land was cleared, some orcharding was practised and one character planted wine grapes and operated an illicit liquor still. In 1906 the land was subdivided and sold in residential and farm blocks as Warriewood Estate. From the 1920s new settlers came to Warriewood including several families from former Yugoslavia. The area expanded as a farming district, and was known as Glass City because the valley was covered with approximately 3,500 glasshouses, mainly used for cultivating tomatoes.

Most of the the farms were situated in a sheltered valley, intersected by the Narrabeen and Fern Creeks, being protected from the easterly and northerly winds by the ridge on which the hill sites are situated, and from the westerlies and southerlies by a high range of rocky hills a short distance away from the estate boundaries. Production reached its peak between 1947 and 1954. From the 1960s market gardening declined and some land was redeployed for nursery gardens. Most of Warriewood, apart from some pockets of light industry, was zoned as a rural area until 1991 when the state government permitted subdivision. By 2000 the rural character of Warriewood began to change as the valley became a suburb.







  • Get Directions











Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone