The south west of Sydney is one of the more recent areas to be developed, though it was one of the firt to be opened up for agriculture after the arrival of the Frist Fleet in 1788. In the northern section, Liverpool is the regional centre, servicing the residential suburbs which surround it. To the south is the Macarthur Region, named after Elizabeth Macarthur and John Macarthur who were founders and pioneers of the Australian wool industry. Founded on land owned by the Macarthurs and surveyed by Sir Thomas Mitchell, the town of Camden was named for Lord Camden, who, during his brief tenure as Secretary of State for War and the Colonies had secured the initial land grant for John Macarthur who was then in England.
The district's regional centre is Campbelltown, one of the towns established by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in the second decade of the 19th century. Most of the region's population lives within the satellite city of Campbelltown and its surrounding suburbs. The Macarthur district is one of the fastest-growing regions in the Sydney metropolitan area. To its south is the semi-rural Wollondilly Shire.