South Hurstville


South Hurstville is a suburb in southern Sydney, located 18 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district. It is part of the St George area. South Hurstville is in the local government area of the Georges River Council. Hurstville and Hurstville Grove are separate neighbouring suburbs. Connells Point and Kyle Bay are also neighbours, and front the Georges River.

South Hurstville is a mainly residential area with a few commercial developments, most of which are located on King Georges Road. A light industrial area is located in lower Halstead Street. The shopping strip is located on King Georges Road around the intersection of Connells Point Road & Greenacre Road.

Veolia Transport runs services through South Hurstville. Routes 970 and 971 Miranda via Sylvania Heights and Sylvania Heights to Hurstville. Route 959 from Bald Face at Blakehurst to Hurstville. Punchbowl Bus Company runs Route 953 Hurstville via Kyle Bay, Connells Point and South Hurstville (Loop service).

Georges River

Georges River and Tom Ugly's Bridge from Bald Face Point

The Georges River begins its journey approximately 60km south-west of Sydney in the town of Appin. From here the river flows north towards Liverpool, through the Chipping Norton Lakes Scheme, then east until it reaches Botany Bay at Blakehurst. The river flows through a very varied landscape from steep sided heavily wooded upper reaches near Appin to its almost fully urbanised lower coastal reaches. The banks of the river along the lower reaches are marked by large inlets and indentations overlooked by steep sandstone ridges and scarps, many being home to expensive residential properties. The Georges River is in fact an intermediate tide dominated drowned valley estuary.

The Georges River is a popular area for recreational fishing. Species present in the river include bass, bream, whiting, yellowtail, jewfish and flathead. The river is also host to a number of commercial oyster farms. The upper ends of the Georges River are abundant with Bass during the summer months and during the winter months these bass migrate down to the lower ends of the river towards the salt water to breed. Waste water inflows to the river are carefully managed to maintain the estuarine habitat.


Georges River at Oatley Point

The Georges River was an important focal point for Aboriginal life and culture in the southern Sydney region, offering both food, transport and dreamtime links. Several major language groups existed along the river: Eora to the east, Dharug to the west, north and north-east, Dharawal to the south and Gandangarra in the far south-west. The early 1800's saw European settler's migrating to the areas along the Georges River and the river became increasingly important as a transport route.

Known as Tucoerah by the local Aborigines, the Georges River was named in honour of King George III, by Governor Arthur Phillip in 1788. The river was first explored by Bass and Flinders in 1795 on their first voyage on the Tom Thumb after their arrival in New South Wales. The exploration led to the establishment of Bankstown.

Kyle Bay


Kyle Bay, on the west side of Blakehurst, takes its name from Robert Kyle, who lived in the bay. Kyle was a local shipbuilder in the 1870s. The land around Kyle Bay was originally granted by the Crown to Robert Kyle and James Merriman in November 1853. Kyle Parade and Merriman Street are named in their honour. The area was subdivided for residential development in the late 1950s. At the head of Kyle Bay is a small sandy beach backed by a pleasant park.

Kyle Bay is surrounded by the suburbs of Blakehurst, South Hurstville and Connells Point. Kangaroo Point sits on the opposite bank of the Georges River. It is 7 km west of Botany Bay and 12 km north-west of the Cronulla surfing beaches. This leafy suburb is graced with scenic riverside parks and reserves including Merriman Reserve and Donnelly Reserve. Kyle Bay and Harness Cask Point are natural formations.

Legacy House is a historic estate on the eastern shore of Kyle Bay. It was bequest to children and first operated from 1948 to 1983 as a convalescent home for children. It was then taken over by Legacy as a home for the children of servicemen/women who have either lost their parents or whose parents were unable to care for them.

The suburb that takes its name from the bay is one of Sydney's smallest. In terms of area, Huntleys Point, with five streets and Rushcutters Bay with 10 streets are slightly larger than Holroyd, which for many years had no streets at all - it consisted only of a brickworks, though it is had been the name of the Local Government Council for some time previous. Fourth is the similarly sized Kyle Bay (nine streets), then Kangaroo Point (eight streets) and Canada Bay (13 streets). Breakfast Point has only three streets but it is larger in area than all of the above suburbs, as it is a big industrial site.

Kyle Bay has a connection to the Moran family, an infamous Melbourne-based criminal family of Irish ancestry, notable for their involvement in the Melbourne gangland killings. The family's activities are the primary plot of the controversial television series Underbelly. Family matriarch Judy Moran lost two sons, Jason and Mark, estranged husband Lewis, and brother-in-law Des to an underworld feud that resulted in the deaths of over 30 criminals. Judy Moran was first married to Leslie John Cole, who was shot dead in Boronia Street, Kyle Bay, during a gangland conflict on 10 November 1982. Judy Moran was divorced from Cole at the time of his death and had begun a relationship with Lewis Moran. Though she legally assumed the surname of Moran, she and Lewis Moran were never married.

Hurstville Grove

Quarry Reserve, Hurstville Grove

Hurstville Grove, located immediately to the west of South Hurstville, stretches from Hillcrest Avenue to the shore of Oatley Bay, on the Georges River. It is mainly residential with a few shops located on Hillcrest Avenue. Hurstville Grove is located 19 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district and is part of the local government area of the Georges River Council, in the St George area.

Hurstville grove is a small, established prestige suburb predominately of free standing houses on large blocks of land. The suburb shares a similar lifestyle of park, water and reserve with neighboring suburbs like Blakehurst, Kyle Bay, Connell Points and Oatley. It has boat ramps, boating facilities and water access to botany bay and Sydney Harbours. Bicycle tracks and Bush walk tracks are part of Hurstville Grove lifestyle.

Poulton Park


Poulton Park is a reserve created on the banks of Poulton Creek, which flows through the reserve from Quarry Reserve immediately to the north and into Oatley Bay. The reserve has sport playing fields, picnic facilities and an extensive childrens' playground. There is also a mangrove boardwalk, bushland and a natural creek which flows over a pretty waterfall after rain.

Facilities: picnic, toilets, playground, walking track. Location: Rickard Road or Morshead Road, South Hurstville.

Connells Point


Connells Point is a small, affluent suburb 20 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district. The area has long been home to prestigious family homes, luscious greenery and cultivated parks on the foreshore. Bowden Crescent is a famous, tightly held waterfront street at the end of the locality.

Connells Point takes its name from the geographical formation beside Connells Bay, on the Georges River. It is a small, picturesque suburb surrounded by the suburbs of Hurstville Grove and South Hurstville, Blakehurst and Kyle Bay. Connells Point and Connells Bay were named after Charles Daniel O'Connell who held land in the area. Connells Bay was originally called O'Connells Bay. In the early days, Connells Bay was used for shipbuilding. Connells Point Public School was opened in 1933.

History
The Hurstville area was granted to Captain John Townson and his brother Robert Townson in 1808; Captain Townson was granted 1,950 acres (7.9 km2) which was on the land now occupied by the suburb of Hurstville and parts of Bexley, while Robert was granted the land which is now occupied by Penshurst, Mortdale, and parts of Peakhurst. The next year, Captain Townson was granted an additional 250 acres (1.0 km2) in the area now occupied by Kingsgrove and Beverly Hills. The Townson brothers, however, were not happy with the heavily timbered land that they were given because it was not suitable for the farming of sheep for wool; consequently, it is likely that the brothers never occupied their land.

The land was sold to a wealthy merchant named Simeon Lord (1771 1840) in 1812, who called his land Lord's Bush. When Simeon Lord died, the land became the property of John Rose Holden and James Holt of the Bank of N.S.W.

The land was sold to Michael Gannon (1800 61) in 1850 and became known as Gannon's Forest. The Gannon's Forest post office opened in 1881. The local school was known as Hurstville by School Inspector MacIntyre in 1876. When the railway arrived in 1884, the station took the name "Hurstville" from the school. Hurstville municipality was incorporated in 1887.








Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone