North Shore; Middle Harbour
Characterised by its lush and leafy roadsides, parks, and gardens, the North Shore suburbs of Roseville, Roseville Chase and East Roseville are named after orchardist George Wilson's stone cottage, Rosa Villa, which was demolished to make way for the railway through Roseville. Roseville, which straddles the North Shore railway line, is the southern-most suburb in the municipality of Ku-ring-gai. Houses closer to railway station tend to be constructed in the Federation (c. 1890s to 1920s) and Californian bungalow (c. 1920s to 1930s) architectural styles, with the outer areas developed during the 1940s and 1950s in less ornate styles. Since this time, a small portion of these older homes have been demolished and replaced with newer properties.
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
This little stretch of Middle Harbour shoreline below the Roseville Bridge has a number of isolated strips of sandy beach where the kids can play as you take in the sun. The 7.5 km Two Creeks Walking Track leads north from this park under the Roseville Bridge to East Killara and East Roseville. Beginning at the corner of Slade Avenue and Tryon Road, East Lindfield, the walk circles East Lindfield, descending beside Gordon Creek to Middle Harbour and continuing along Middle Harbour to Roseville Bridge. Alternatively, you can access the walk from the corner of Tryon Road and Eastern Arterial Road near Lindfield Oval. Along the way you will see post-war cobbled tracks and stonework, Coachwood forests, sweeping water vistas and vegetation communities ranging from moist gullies to Sydney sandstone gully bushland. UBD Map 196 Ref C1. Babbage Road, Roseville Chase.
This walk follows Moores Creek through several reserves in east Roseville and East Lindfield. The track is named after William Morris "Billy" Hughes, Australia's 7th Prime Minster, who once lived in the area. The walk explores the ferns and sandstone overhangs of the area, and there are several small waterfalls on Moore creek, which are worth the very short detour to visit. Officially, the Little Digger track finishes near the bottom of the Carlyle road service trail.
Starting at the corner of Merlin Street and Roseville Avenue, Roseville, this well maintained track follows Moores Creek through a fern gully. Along the way you pass numerous caves where evidence of Aboriginal habitation has been found, passing Casuarina woods, Llewellin Falls, Carlyle Falls, Little Falls, Babbage Falls and Goblers Glen.
Continue on via the Two Creeks Track to Middle Harbour, or a shorter walk, enter or exit the track via an accessway at the back of the children s playground on Carlyle Road. The falls beyond the bridge across Moores Creek near Carlyle Road is unusual in that the water does not flow over the rocky ledge of the falls but through it, the falls themselves being inside a rock ledge.
Seven Little Australian Park, in the neighbouring suburb of Lindfield, opens a window to the natural bushland along the valley of Gordon Creek, which flows into Middle Harbour Creek to the north of Roseville. While living nearby at 1 Werona Street, Lindfield, 21 year old Australian author Ethel Turner visited the park and received the inspiration for her first novel, Seven Little Australians. Turner Lookout also recalls her early years living in Lindfield.
The park is a nature reserve at the southern end of a section of Garigal National Park which follows the valley of Gordon Creek. For a relaxing bush walk, take the well sign posted Two Creeks Track which leads to Moores Creek, Gordon Creeks and Roseville Bridge across Middle Harbour. Slade Avenue, Lindfield. The path is relatively easy to navigate and walkers visit a number of pretty waterfalls and cascades along the way. UBD Map 175 Ref G 14 Public transport: train to Lindfield. Walk along Tryon Road or Bus No. 558 from Lindfield station.
A high-level six-lane road bridge which crosses the upper reaches of Middle Harbour. It features sweeping approaches carved out of the rugged hillside. Built in 1966, the pre-stressed concrete structure replaced a low-level two-lane bridge erected in 1922. Located to the south of the existing bridge, the original bridge's southern approach was Babbage Road. It crossed the river at Echo Point Park.
The neighbouring suburb of Lindfield, located 13 kilometres north-west of the Sydney Central Business District, is known for its leafy surrounds and relaxed suburban. Lindfield contains residential housing of mainly California bungalow and federation style. Native bushland in Garigal National Park and Lane Cove National Park borders the suburb. Lindfield has a small commercial area on both sides of Lindfield railway station on Pacific Highway and Lindfield Avenue.
Lindfield is named after a property owned by a Mr List, who was born in Lindfield, a suburb of Hayward's Heath in Surrey, England. East Lindfield is a separate suburb, although they share the postcode of 2070. When the railway was built in 1890, the name of his property was used for the station nearby. Before that time, the Lindfield district was sparsely populated by orchardists. Lindfield saw its greatest period of growth after World War I.
The neighbouring suburb of Killara is 14 kilometres north-west of the Sydney Central Business District. Killara is an Aboriginal word meaning permanent or always there. The name of the suburb was chosen when the railway line opened in 1899. James George Edwards was a representative of the people who requested a station be built here. The suburb was established as a 'Gentlemen's suburb', designed so that there would be no commercial ventures in the area. For this reason, the suburb has very few shops in the original development. The suburb is home to Killara High School, one of the highest performing non-selective government secondary school in the state of New South Wales.
During much of the 19th century, Killara remained virgin bush but was cleared of much of its timber. One of the most well known timber getters was Joseph Fiddens, an emancipated convict who logged Killara's blue gum forest. Orchards were scattered through the bush until the arrival of the railway in 1899. A hostel, erected in 1835 and later replaced by the Green Gate Hotel, was a landmark for stage coach travellers. It was the residents of Killara who first lobbied the government in 1875 to construct a railway through the Upper North Shore region.
Killara later became the home of the famous architect Harry Seidler, whose home designed by him and his wife Penelope in the 1960s can still be seen in Kalang Avenue. It is sometimes known as Killara House and sometimes as Harry and Penelope Seidler House. The couple moved into the house on Harry Seidler's birthday in 1967. The garden contains a sculpture by the Los Angeles sculptor Eric Orr. The house is heritage-listed.
The Swain Gardens were donated to Ku-ring-gai Council by Mr Swain, a Sydney bookseller, in the 1920s, and are today maintained by the council and volunteers. The gardens have been listed by the National Trust of Australia.
Ten kilometres north of the Sydney central business district on Sydney's North Shore, Chatswood is the administrative centre centre of the local government area of the City of Willoughby. Known for its large Chinese community, second only to Haymarket, it is also a major commercial and retail district.
Chatswood is a major bus terminus with services to Bondi Junction, Sydney, North Sydney, Mosman, Balmoral Beach, Manly, Warringah Mall/Brookvale, UTS Ku-ring-gai, Belrose, Narrabeen, Mona Vale, Eastwood, Gladesville, West Ryde, North Ryde, Macquarie University, Macquarie Park, Parramatta and Dundas. An interstate bus service between Sydney and Brisbane via the North Coast stops at Chatswood. Major roads through Chatswood include the Pacific Highway, Mowbray Road, Boundary Street, Willoughby Road and Eastern Valley Way and Victoria Avenue.The latter forms a pedestrian mall for the section running through the main retail area.
Take a walk beside the Lane Cove River in an historic section of Lane Cove National Park which recalls Joseph Fidden, who ran a timber getting business at the end here in the early 1800s. Fidden arrived in NSW in 1801, having been transported for 7 years as a convict to Sydney a year earlier. Upon his release, Fidden rented land by the Lane Cover River, and by 1821 had managed to purchase his own land. The first governor Arthur Phillip in 1788 identified the north shore as a rich source of timber for the colony's construction needs (house and ship building). This area of the Lane Cove River was especially abundant with woody perennial plants of great height. Fiddens Wharf was one of three wharves on that part of the Lane Cove River important to the burgeoning timber industry and to commerce generally in the early colony. The other two close by were Fullers Wharf and Jenkins Wharf. Location: end of Fiddens Whard Rd, Killara.
The first land grant at Roseville was 160 acres to Daniel Matthew in 1812. Matthew operated a farm and a sawmill. Other grants were taken up in the ensuing years, most of which were developed into orchards. Roseville is named after orchardist George Wilson s stone cottage, Rosa Villa, which was demolished to make way for the railway. The arrival of the railway placed pressure on the landowners to sell their orchards for residential development. East Roseville was subdivided and sold as suburban lots in 1922 as the Earl of Carnarvon estate. In that year, the Tomb of Tutenkhamen was opened in Egypt by the Earl of Carnarvon. Names in the subdivision recall the names of people involved in the expedition. Amarna and Luxor are close to the Valley of the Kings in Egypt where Tutenkhamen s tomb was found and have given their names to the two streets facing Moores Creek.