PictonLocation: South West - Wollondilly
Picton is a small town in the Macarthur Region of New South Wales, located 80 kilometres South-west of Sydney, close to Camden and Campbelltown. Picton is home to many historic buildings, including two types of bridges not found easily anymore elsewhere in the state Victoria Bridge a timber trestle bridge that crosses Stonequarry Creek, opened in 1897, and the Picton Railway Viaduct a stone viaduct opened in 1863 to also cross Stonequarry Creek. The viaduct is still in use by the railways.
The George IV Inn, reputedly constructed in 1839, is considered to be one of the oldest hotel buildings in Australia. The cellar contains remnants of convict shackles as prisoners being transported from Sydney to Berrima prison would often be held in Picton overnight. The barn behind the hotel may date back to 1810 and is possibly the oldest building in Picton it is used for functions such as birthday and engagement parties. The hotel is also the location of Scharer s Little Brewery, one of the first microbreweries in Australia and winner of numerous awards for its Burragorang Bock and Scharer s Lager beers.
Picton Creative Traders Markets
66 Menangle Street, Picton
Trading: 1st Sunday of the Month 9am 2pm
Type: Art and Craft, Artisans, Baby and Kids/Children, General, Variety, Farmers, Produce, Handmade, *Wheel Chair Friendly, Music
Phone: 0449 851 676
Redbank Range Tunnel
Picton Old Main Railway Tunnel: The disused 180 m long Old Main Railway Tunnel (Redbank Range Tunnel) between Picton Junction and Thirlmere was opened in February 1867 and was the first railway tunnel to be used by the NSW Railways. It was closed to rail traffic in 1919 when the new deviation line opened. During World War II it was one of a number of disused railway tunnels in the Sydney area in which ammunition, mustard gas spray tanks and other military supplies were stored. After the RAAF moved out in 1950, it was used for commercial mushroom growing.
The tunnel would have long been forgotten were it not for ongoing occurrences of paranormal activity which have made it quite well known. The tunnel has a history of suicides and at least one railway accident, that of a woman named Emily, who these days is looked upon as the tunnel s resident ghost. Local records show that Emily Bollard was struck and killed by a train in 1916. She died at the centre of the tunnel where the apparition of Emily is always seen. On occasions black shadows have been viewed moving rapidly along the entire length of the tunnel. People have reported seeing white lights hovering above them, figures appearing in front and behind in the blackness, ghostly children and strange electrical appearances travelling down the tunnel. Rapid drops in temperature and sudden breezes like those caused by an approaching train have also been felt.
The owner of the property on which the tunnel has been built, Liz Vincent, runs a variety of different ghost tours around the Picton area as well as the Tunnel. As the tunnel is on private property, entry to the property unless by prior authority or arrangement is prohibited.
Wollondilly Shire Hall: according to members of the local theatre group who themselves have many ghostly tales, there are supposedly three ghosts haunting the hall. The old part of the Hall where the school was has an unusual feel to it. A bearded man wearing a hat and suit, who stands a the back of the hall and often appears as a black silhouette, in the furthermost corner of the back of the stage is known as Ted. Another ghost inside the Shire Hall is said to be that of a young girl. On a number of occasions her crying has been heard coming from underneath the stage. A small boy is also reported to be haunting the Hall.
Wendover House: this beautiful Georgian mansion was built in 1880 by John Wright McQuiggin, the first mayor of Picton. Now a block of flats, the building has a history of strange phenomena. One former resident claims to have been visited several times by the ghost of McQuiggin, who he recognised from an old photograph.
Razorback Inn: now part of the The Woolaway Woolshed, the inn is the subject of many spooky stories and the home of a very noisy ghost. Ex-convict Oliver Whiting completed the construction of Razorback Inn in 1850. Originally established as a tannery and vineyard, it has also been used as a guesthouse, residence and restaurant over the years.