Oyster Bay


Oyster Bay is both a residential suburb in Southern Sydney and a bay on the southern shore of the Georges River on which the suburb stands. Green Point and Caravan Head are localities within the suburb of Oyster Bay. Green Point is home to the Green Point Observatory, home of the Sutherland Astronomical Society. Coronation Bay is also located on the Georges River between Green Point and Caravan Head. At Coronation Bay there is a large mangrove area that creates a diverse and dynamic eco-system, which supports a variety of bird-life. The geographical feature and suburb of Carina Bay are located on the western boundary of the suburb, near Como.

The bay takes its name simply from the abundance of oysters that had been found in the bay. The name had appeared on maps prepared by Surveyor Wells in 1840. The suburb's name was officially recognised in 1933. Commercial oyster farms on the Georges River at this and other nearby locations on the Georges River have supplied Sydney's restaurants with their supplies of oysters for many years.

Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.

Green Point Observatory
A private observatory, the Green Point Observatory is the home of the Sutherland Astronomical Society. It is located at the corner of Green Point and Caravan Head Roads. It consists of a dome, library, 41cm Newtonian telescope, a meeting hall seating 100 people, and a roll-off roof observatory with a 35cm Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope. The observatory is used by members of the society for observing stars and eclipses, research, astro imaging as well as hosting public education courses and monthly open nights.
The observatory was first constructed on the site, completed in 1969 following the founding of the Sutherland Astronomical Society, then known as the James Cook Astronomers Club. At that time, the observatory consisted of a dome housing a 41cm Newtonian telescope and small library. The observatory is open for meetings every Thursday evening commencing at 8pm. Visitors are welcome to attend Guest Speaker Talks and SASI workshops. The Observatory is located at the bottom of a reserve off Green Point Road, Oyster Bay NSW. Follow the path for 100 metres.

Kangaroo Point


Kangaroo Point, the eastern headland of Oyster Bay, takes its name from the peninsula which sits on the southern bank of the Georges River. It is completely surrounded by the suburb of Sylvania which it was originally part of and still shares the same postcode. The suburbs of Kareela and Oyster Bay are located opposite the waterway of Oyster Bay. Blakehurst, Kyle Bay and Connells Point are located opposite the Georges River. The traditional owners of Kangaroo Point peninsula are the Dharawal Aboriginal people and their archaeological heritage is evident on the peninsula with middens and rockshelters. After European settlement, the peninsula was acquired by John Connell Laycock as a Crown grant. Thomas Holt, a prominent landowner, financier and politician, bought it a few years later, but it was insurance broker Wynn Roberts who subdivided Kangaroo Point in 1916. It is today one of The Shire's most exclusive suburbs.

Kareela
A suburb in southern Sydney, 24 km south of the Sydney central business district, Kareela is located in the south east corner of Oyster Bay. When it was first developed, the subdivision was originally called Sylvan Headland. The name was changed to Kareela almost exactly after the estate opened. Kareela is derived from an Aboriginal word meaning 'place of trees and water' or alternatively 'south wind'. Most of the streets in Kareela are named after outright winners and line-honours winners of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race between 1945 and 1970. Kareela Golf Course and Kareela Oval are prominent recreational areas located on either side of Bates Drive.

Joseph Banks Native Plants Reserve

Joseph Banks Native Plants Reserve

Manooka Place, Kareela: A flora reserve established by the Sutherland Shire Council in 1970 on the 200th anniversary of the visit of James Cook to nearby Botany Bay which falls within the shire's boundaries. The reserve's name honours the head botanist on Cook's Endeavour who probably came through the area and collected specimens there in April 1770. The reserve is aiming to include at least one example of every plant that may have been seen in the area by Banks and his companion, Daniel Solander. Established on a rugged wooden hillside with Hawkesbury sandstone cliffs, there are a number of boardwalks and paths from which to view the plants. Features a scented garden, fern garden and rainforest.
UBD Map 313 Ref E 14 Facilities: picnic and barbecues, native gardening advice, conducted walks, shop, paved area for weddings and receptions.

Sylvania


22 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district, Sylvania is the first suburb on the Princes Highway after crossing the Georges River via Tom Uglys Bridge at Horse Rock Point. Tom Uglys Point is on the opposite shore. Sylvania is mostly residential but also contains areas of native bushland and some commercial developments on the Princes Highway and Port Hacking Road. Sylvania Heights is a locality in the western part of the suburb. Sylvania Waters and Kangaroo Point share the same postcode (2224).

The traditional owners of Sylvania are the Dharawal Aboriginal people and their archaeological heritage is evident in a number of registered middens, burial and art sites in rockshelters on the Georges River. After European settlement, this land was acquired by John Connell Laycock as a Crown grant. Thomas Holt (after whom Holt Road is named), a prominent landowner, financier and politician, acquired it a few years later as part of the Holt-Sutherland Estate, some 13,000 acres (53 km2). The naming of Sylvania is unclear, but 'sylvan' which means inhabiting the woods, relates to the setting of this suburb. The native vegetation of the suburb is now fast disappearing, as a result of increased development. Thomas Holt built Sutherland House on the foreshore of Gwawley Bay in 1818, on the eastern side of Sylvania. He established the Sutherland Estate Company in 1881 and a village grew here, with a post office opening in 1883.

Sylvania Waters

Sylvania Waters

Much of the land of Sylvania Waters was 'reclaimed' from Gwawley Bay, effectively destroying the highly integrated mangrove flora of the bay. Sylvania Waters Estate was developed by L.J.Hooker in the 1960s; land offered had water frontages with boating facilities on a series of man-made canals and islands. Streets were named after Australian rivers to emphasise the association with water, such as Shoalhaven, Tweed, Murrumbidgee, Hawkesbury and Barwon. Sylvania Waters was a 1992 reality television program which followed the lives of the Donaher family living in Macintyre Crescent. The suburb became infamous when the series screened across Australia and internationally. One of the artificial islands in Sylvania Waters (James Cook Island) was used in the filming of the movie Superman Returns (2006) as the location of Lois Lane's house.

Sylvania Heights: located in the north-western part of the suburb of Sylvania, the suburb overlooks Oyster Bay on its south east shore.



View Larger Map

  • Get Directions











Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone