Location: Northern Beaches
Newport, the most southerly locality on Barrenjoey Peninsula, sits between the Pacific Ocean to the east and Pittwater to the west, 31 north of the Sydney central business district. A prestigious residential suburb, Newport offers its residents magnificent views in all directions. Newport also features many cafes and restaurants, as well as the Newport Arms Hotel on the shore of Pittwater. On the shores of Pittwater are several marinas and small shipyards, including the Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club and the Royal Motor Yacht Club, serving mainly pleasure craft.
Horseshoe Cove, Newport
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
Good facilities and easy access to its sweeping ribbon of sand makes Newport Beach a very popular weekend destination for swimmers and surfers. The beach is curved so surfing conditions vary at either end. An ocean pool caters for children at the southern end. A coastal walkway extends along the far northern beaches and this is the best place to park and access it. Parking fees apply.
UBD Map 118 Ref Q 10. Barrenjoey Road, Newport.
Facilities: patrolled by surf lifesavers, changerooms, toilets, showers, shaded grassed areas, picnic and barbecue facilities, shops nearby.
Its isolation (it can t be seen from Barrenjoey Road) and limited facilities at Bungan Beach make it one of the quietest of the northern beaches. The swell kicks up strong surf and the ribbon of sand, backed by a 40-metre high cliff, is clean, making it a drawcard for keen surfers. This is another recommended starting point for coastal walkers.
UBD Map 118 Ref Q 10. Bungan Head Road.
Facilities: patrolled by surf lifesavers, changerooms, toilets, showers.
The name Bungan is first recorded in a survey in 1814 as Bongin Bongin, referring to the area (700 acres) which included present day Mona Vale and Bungan and was granted to Robert Campbell junior. The land rises to the summit of Bushrangers Hill at 103 metres, a natural lookout point. Despite the name there is no known connection with bushrangers. In 1908 Napier Thomson built the Eyrie and another family lived nearby, in 1914 Betty Morrison, nee Pollock, lived on the slopes above the beach, and in 1919 a medieval-style stone castle was built on Bungan Head in 1919 by Adolph Albers, a German art dealer.
Located on the eastern foreshores of Pittwater in Newport, Salt Pan Cove is pretty little bay with a saltwater baths, a small beach, picnic and children s play facilities in Florence Park at the head of the bay. The area can be accessed via Prince Alfred Parade leading south down to the creek and cove via log timber steps. A few habitat trees such as Spotted Gum, Cabbage-tree Palm, Swamp Oak, Forest Oak and Blueberry Ash remain. Squirrel gliders, a threatened species in NSW and an endangered population in Pittwater, have been recorded nearby also.
Several Aboriginal middens are located along the muddy foreshore: An open midden located above South Beach consists mainly of oyster shell. An open midden is located to the north of the Reserve, consists of 70% shells. The shell types include oyster, mussel, cockle and mud oyster. An open midden severely eroded by wave action, consisting of oyster, mud oyster, mussels and cockle shell types. An open midden, similar to the above site, severely eroded by wave action. Oyster, mud oyster, periwinkle and mussel shell types make up 50% of the midden contents. Middens are piles of discarded shells and bones from meals eaten there by the local Aboriginal clans.
There is an informal track from Prince Alfred Parade leading south down to the creek and cove via log timber steps. It provides access to a sandy beach where some dinghies are located. The rest of the Reserve allows adjacent residents to pass through the Reserve to jetties and the foreshore.
The suburb's name is derived its name from being a new port for steamers carrying passengers and cargo such as local shell lime and firewood. The area came to be called Newport from about 1880. Charles Jeannerett and George Pile built a wharf, the Newport Hotel and subdivided land for sale. They gained the mail contract and all goods for the area would be unloaded at the wharf. Jeannerett also encouraged day trips to Newport either by coach from Manly or by steamer from Sydney, refreshment being provided at the hotel. In 1881 he hosted a visit by the royal Princes, Albert and George, who came overland from Manly and then went aboard at Newport to travel down the Hawkesbury River. Nearby Bayview House, later Scott s guest house, provided accommodation and recreation.
Winji Jimmi Cove
During World War II, the fear of a major Japanese attack on Sydney resulted in numerous attempts by the Australian Army to be ready, should such an invasion take place. Barrenjoy Peninsula was considered an ideal landing place for an invasion, given its relative isolation from the city at that time. Consequently, the Army cut a swathe through the bushland of Newport with the intent of installing tank traps stretching from Pittwater to the Bungan Beach. All the beaches to the south were barricaded with barbed wire and steel posts. A timber bridge spanned the tank trap which was bolted together in such a way that if you knocked one bolt out, the whole bridge would fall into the trap. This bridge allowed cars to drive north along Barrenjoey Road, although there was little traffic as petrol rationing was in force. It was mined with explosives for good measure.
The trap was lined on the southern side with large poles which presented a high vertical face to any intruders. From the end of the tank trap there were large concrete blocks shaped like pyramids which extended part of the way up to Winji Jimmi. All the families living north of the tank trap had to be ready for evacuation at a moment s notice. A Mr Vincent s house at the southern end of Myola Road was requisitioned by the army and fortified with a gun trained on the beach.