Gap Bluff: ocean headland to the north of The Gap at Watsons Bay. On July 2, 1895 the School of Gunnery was established on the heights becoming the School of Artillery in the early 1930's. During World War II, the navy established a radar station here and in 1945, HMAS Watson was established as a Radar Training School shifting to its present site around 1956. In 1982, the Gap Bluff area was gazetted as part of the Sydney Harbour National Park and officially opened to the public on November 3, 1990
Dunbar Head: recalls the British clipper Dunbar which was wrecked here in 1857.
Diamond Bay: its origin remains obscure, but the earliest record of that name appears in a "Report and Map of the Harbour Defences", dated January 3, 1863.
Rose Gully: George Rose (1744-1818), the Joint Secretary to the Treasury in England in Governor Phillip's time played an important part in the establishment of the colony and is remembered by the two Sydney place names.
Murriverie Pass: the name of a fissure in the coastal cliffs which is derived from its Aboriginal name, 'Marevera'.
Ben Buckler: the name first appeared in 1831 and is believed to have been bestowed by Governor Macquarie, who called it 'Ben - becula' due to its resemblance to an island in Scotland's Outer Hebrides. Other theories are that Ben Buckler is a corruption of the Aboriginal word 'Baal - buckalea'; or that Ben Buckler was a convict who lived in the rocks at North Bondi.
Bondi Bay: recalls the Aboriginal name for the bay, Boondi. It is a word which described the sound of waves breaking on the beach.
Mackenzies Point / Bay: recalls a farmer who grazed cattle on his property here in the 1880s. Aboriginal name: Grama Grama.
Tamarama Bay: was first recorded as a name in 1885 when a fatality at the beach was reported. Also known as Dixons Bay after Dr. Dixon, a nearby land owner, it later became Fletcher's Glen when David Fletcher bought a 10 acre frontage. Aboriginal name: Oramaramma, from which the present name is derived.
Nelson Bay: named for Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson, who was given the title of Duke of Bronte by the King of Sicily. It was thus named because of its proximity to the Sydney suburb of Bronte.
Shark Point: presumably after a shark or sharks were caught here.
Clovelly Bay: was once known as Little Coogee and was renamed Clovelly after the seaside village of that name in Devon, England.
Gordons Bay: believed to have been named Gordons Bay after Lewis Gordon, a government surveyor who carried out survey work in this district in early 1939. He built 'Cliffbrook', the old mansion still standing in Gordon Avenue, Clovelly, on land granted to him by the Crown, which part, it is recorded, included the bay below. Aboriginal name: Coojee (see Coogee Bay below).
Coogee Bay: Aboriginal, meaning bad smell, presumably coined because of the smell of rotting seaweed on the beach. Aboriginal name: Bobroi.
Wedding Cake Island
Wedding Cake Island: descriptive of its shape.
Lurline Bay: believed to have been named after a Sydney Harbour tug, in a similar way to nearby Undine Street. Formerly known as Lilli Pilli Bay.
Mistral Point: origin unknown.
Maroubra Bay: of Aboriginal origin (Merro-berah) and meaning 'like thunder', which presumably refers to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. Appears in early records as Brand and Long Bay. Aboriginal name: Mooroobra.
Wreck of SS Malabar
Malabar Beach: named after the Burns Philps ship SS Malabar which was wrecked on the north side of Long Bay on 2nd April 1931.
Magic Point: origin unknown.
Boora Point: Boora was the Aboriginal Name for Long Bay.
Long Bay: descriptive, relative to nearby Little Bay.
Little Bay: descriptive, relative to nearby Long Bay. Prior to European settlement, the bay was used as a burial site by the local Aborigines.
Cape Banks: named by Lt. James Cook in April 1770 after Sir Joseph Banks, Endeavour's botanist and patron of Cook's first voyage of discovery.
Bare Island: descriptive. It was marked as Bare Island by Lt. James Cook in April 1770 when he visited Botany Bay. It was not meant as the island's name, rather a description.
Henry Head: Aboriginal name: Wadba Wadba.
Congwong Beach / Bay: The Aboriginal name for the location, which was first recorded by assistant surveyor-general Robert Dixon when he surveyed Botany Bay and Port Hacking in 1827.