Coastal Features: Botany Bay to Stanwell Tops


Memorial to Forby Sutherland

Sutherland Point: named by Lt. James Cook in May 1770 in honour of Forby Sutherland, a crew member of HMS Endeavour who died and was buried here, becoming the first recorded European to be buried in the Sydney region.

Inscription Point: in 1870 Thomas Holt erected an obelisk here at his own expense to celebrate the centenary of Captain Cook's landing at Kurnell. It was later moved to Cape Solander.

Yana Gap: believed to be the Aboriginal name of the location.

Cape Solander: named by Lt. James Cook in May 1770 in honour of Dr. Daniel Carl Solander, doctor, naturalist and assistant to Joseph Banks aboard HMS Endeavour.

Tabbigal Gap: believed to be the Aboriginal name of the location.

Long Nose Point: descriptive.


Cape Baily

Cape Baily: believed to be named after Joseph Charles Baily, French mineralogist who travelled on Le Naturaliste on Nicolas Baudin's voyage to New Holland 1800-04. He and fellow mineralogist Louis Depuch were the first geologically trained observers to reach Australia. He transferred to Le Geographe in Sydney in 1802. It is believed that eventually he left the expedition in Western Australia, but he has also been listed as one of the five scientists and artists to return to France out of the 23 the expedition had originally started with.

Caravan Head: the locality of Caravan Head is thought to have been named after 'Caravan Rock', which was shaped like a covered wagon or caravan situated on private property on the point of Caravan Head.

Potter Point: origin unknown.

Boat Harbour: origin unknown.

Doughboy Head: Doughboys, sometimes called dumplings or floaters, were a boiled pudding made of dough and sometimes mixed with currants. These were popular throughout the 19th century and up to the 1950s. It is thought that a rock here resembled the shape of a doughboy.

Voodoo Point: origin unknown.


Pimelwi Rocks

Pimelwi Rocks: believed to be the Aboriginal name of the location.

The Merries Reef: origin unknown.

Bate Bay: origin unknown.


Wanda Beach

Wanda Beach: Aboriginal word meaning beach or sand hill.

Elouera Beach: Aboriginal meaning: 'a pleasant place'.

Cronulla Point: taken from the Aboriginal name for the Cronulla peninsula, Kurranulla.

Blackwood Point: origin unknown.

Shelly Beach: descriptive of the nature of the beach.

Glaisher Point: origin unknown.


Port Hacking

Port Hacking: named by Matthew Flinders in 1796 after Port Jackson pilot Henry Hacking. Hacking had told Flinders of a large river south of Botany Bay which First Fleet midshipman of HMS Supply, James Aicken, had discovered. Originally named Port Aicken (alternatively Akin or Aken) after James Aicken. Henry Hacking was a quartermaster on HMS Sirius of the First Fleet. He returned to England after the wreck of HMS Sirius at Norfolk Island. He came back to Sydney in 1792. Between 1792 and 1800, he was involved in several explorations including an attempt to cross the Blue Mountains and was with the party that discovered the "lost cattle". Port Hacking was named after him by Matthew Flinders in 1796. In 1800-01 Hacking was pilot at Port Jackson. In November 1801, he was sent to Hobart in disgrace for having shot and wounded a woman and later for robbing ship's stores. Both times he was condemned to death but reprieved by Governor King for his previous good conduct. In June 1804, he was appointed coxswain of Hobart and was appointed superintendent of the Port of Hobart in 1819. He died at Hobart on 21st July 1831, aged 81.


Jibbon Head

Jibbon Head: also known as Port Hacking Point. Port Hacking Heads were known as Port Aiken Heads in 1870 (see Port Hacking above). Jibbon is believed to be the Aboriginal name of the location. Originally recorded as Deeban.

The Cobblers: origin unknown.

Marley Beach / Head: believed to be the Aboriginal name of the location.

Providential Point: Matthew Flinders and George Bass, in March 1796 found shelter in a violent storm in a nearby cove (Wattamolla).

Martin Head: named after William Martin, the boy who sailed with Bass and Flinders.


Wattamolla

Wattamolla: an Aboriginal name which either means 'place near running water' or was the Aboriginal name of Wattamolla Creek which enters the ocean here. The bay was named Providential Cove by Matthew Flinders and George Bass, in March 1796 as it was here they found shelter in a violent storm.

Curracurrong / Curracurrang: believed to be the Aboriginal name of the location.


Garie Beach

Garie North Head / Garie Beach: first recorded as Garrah, the name of a 130 acre grant here to Andrew Byrne in 1831. There are three theories to its meaning: 1. Aboriginal word meaning: 'sleepy'; 2. Geera, Garie or Geara: not Aboriginal in origin; 3. Named after a bushranger, William Geary, who is said to have camped here while on the run in 1818.

Mid Era Point: Era is believed to be the Aboriginal name of the location.

Clarie's Beach: now known as North Era, it was thus named after Clarie's cattle that grazed in the gully.

Thelma Head: origin unknown.

Semi-Detached Point: origin unknown.

Bulgo Range / Beach: of Aboriginal origin. The locality of Otford was originally named Bulgo.

Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone

v