Located on the shores of Port Jackson on Sydney's Lower North Shore, with Middle Harbour to the north and north east, and Sydney Harbour to the south, Mosman is a charming residential suburb set amidst beautiful bushland surrounds.
Mosman forms a peninsula between the two Harbours and features a number of popular beaches on both harbours. Small arcades, restaurants and exclusive boutiques give Mosman an almost village atmosphere, although the area feels very much alive. Attractive modern townhouses stand shoulder to shoulder with large Federation era houses and Californian bungalows.
Taronga Park Zoo, with its magical location on the shores of Sydney Harbour, was established on Bradleys Head in 1912 when Sydney's Zoo was moved from Moore Park. It is one of sydney's most popular attractions for visitors and locals alike.
The Mosman Rider is a free minibus service provided by Mosman Council. It operates every day between 8am and 6pm. You can track the Rider's location from iPhone and smartphones at m.mosmanrider.net, download the free Mosman Bus Finder app with an Android phone or by sending a blank text to 0459 667 616. Mosman Rider recommends a series of eleven guided walks that begin and end on the Mosman Rider route. Each walk has its own A4 map and set of instructions. They are mostly level or downhill, with 1-2 hour walking times. The website has extensive additional information about points of interest along the way as well as photos, videos and links to other sites. More
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
Mosman was named after Mosman Bay because of it being adjacent to it. The latter was originally known as Mossman s Bay as it was here that Archibald Mossman (1799-1863) established Sydney s first whaling station. It was a successful venture, but its operations were wound down on his retirement because its proximity to a growing residential area and its closeness to the city of Sydney was considered inappropriate. The main objection the locals had, however, was to the smell.
Mosman Bay was originally named Careening Bay as it believed HMS Sirius was careened (beached and its hull cleaned of barnacles) here in 1789. It was then variously called Sirius Cove, Careening Cove and Great Sirius Cove; most of these names are still in use but for other locations. The first subdivision of land for residential development took place in 1853. Taronga Zoo was established between 1912 and 1916 on land previously set aside for a coal mine. The venture did not proceed due to complaints by residents so the company s mining activities were transferred to Birchgrove.
79 known sites within the Mosman municipality have been catalogued though more are believed to exist. These are occupation sites (shelters, middens), religious or ceremonial sites and rock art sites.
Many have been destroyed or lie under buildings, but many others are assumed by archaeologists to survive in the foreshore bushland.
Ashton Park on Bradleys Head contains rock carvings of animals which are located near the steps going down to the beach on the eastern side of Bradleys Head.
Mosman Village Art and Craft Market
Mosman Square. Spit Junction
Trading: 1st Saturday of th Month (except Jan) 8am 3pm
Type: Art & Craft
Phone: (02) 9978 4181
Mosman Bay: According to maps, there are no beaches on Mosman Bay, but if you take a walk through Harnett Park on the bay s foreshore, you will come across a small stretch of sand where young children can enjoy a paddle in the waters of the bay. Mosman Bay is one of the nicest bays in Sydney Harbour. It provides a deep and sheltered cove for numerous boats. In 1789, HMS Sirius was careened at Mosman Bay, also known by some as Great Sirius Cove. Since then, Mosman Bay has been associated in the history books and the minds of locals with Australia s maritime legacy. Public transport: ferry to Mosman Bay.
Whiting Beach: The most secluded beach on Sydney Harbour, Whiting Beach is reached by taking the Taronga Zoo ferry and taking the path to the left on arrival. Follow the narrow ribbon of bushland outside the zoo, then down some steps to Whiting Beach. Look carefully and you can see a few examples of Aboriginal rock art. Further on the track is Sirius Cove Reserve on Little Sirius Cove. The beaches of Sydney and Middle Harbours have been known for years as great spots to catch whiting, particularly from November to March when they are readily caught. No doubt someone in the forgotten past made a good catch at Whiting Beach, hence its name. Public transport: ferry to Taronga Zoo.
Little Sirius Cove
Little Sirius Cove: this picturesque bay has a sandy beach with shaded grassed areas, play equipment for children, toilets and picnic tables and offers good harbour views. The beach and reserve are pet friendly, and are therefore great for a picnic. Entry is via Curlew Camp Road. Aside from being well-known for its nice secluded location, this beach is also famous as the campsite of artist Arthur Streeton, who set up camp here from 1892 to 1897. Streeton and Tom Roberts painted many of the masterpieces of Australian Impressionism while staying at Curlew Camp on the edge of Little Sirius Cove. Public transport: ferry to Taronga Zoo.
Quakers Hat Bay
Quakers Hat Bay: Quakers Hat Bay is on the northern side of Mosman, on Middle Harbour. The bay was named after Quakers Hat rock, so named because of its shape. Quakers Hat Park is the western-most reserve in The Spit Reserves and is a foreshore park with natural bushland and rocky shoreline. The park, used for storing small boats, is located at the end of the foreshore walk from Spit Reserve West along Middle Harbour to the west. A foreshore walk through Quakers Hat Park is accessed through several informal paths from Bay Street, Delecta Avenue and Pearl Bay Avenue. The bushland walk runs from Pearl Bay, through Quakers Hat Park ending at Pulpit Rock. The foreshore walk through Quakers Hat Park.
One of Sydney's most historic headlands, now part of Sydney Harbour National Park. The mast mounted on the point is from HMAS Sydney, which did battle with the German cruiser Emden in 1914. Near the mast is a stone column from the original General Post Office in Sydney. It marks a distance of one nautical mile from Fort Denison.
The semi-circular convict-built waterfront fortifications, a firing wall and single cannon mount were constructed in the 1840s by Gov. Gipps at the time Fort Denison was constructed. The picnic area beyond the car park occupies the quarry site of the stone used to built the forts.
The fortifications located up the hill towards the zoo were built in the 1870s. They comprise of a firing wall, a jetty, powder magazines, a series of tunnels and three gun emplacements complete with original cannon mounted on carriages. A sealed tunnel links the battery to the jetty on Athol Bay.
Military Road follows a path beaten through the bush from North Sydney to Bradleys Head in the early 1870s. It was created by soldiers and local residents to give access to the new Bradleys Head military installations. These were being constructed in response to fears of an impending attack by Russia, an attack which never eventuated. Stumps along the route were dug out by locals who were paid ten shillings for each stump removed. It was along the path they cleared that the three guns for the fort were rolled through the bush from a jetty at Neutral Bay where they had been offloaded from a ship.
Athol Bay has a pleasant yet largely ignored beach that is ideal for a quiet swim away from the crowds or the perfect place to sit and watch a sunset over the city. It can be reached via the waterside path between the Taronga wharf and Bradleys Head.
The Borogegal Walking Trail continues past the point and around neighbouring Taylors Bay. The path continues beyond the bay to Clifton Gardens, Chowder Head, Georges Head and Middle Head. After rounding Bradleys Head and turning north, Taylors Bay, Chowder Head, Clifton Gardens and Chowder Bay come into view.Facilities: grassed areas, picnic facilities, toilets.
Public transport: ferry to Taronga Zoo. Walk beyond zoo entrance to Bradleys Head, or train to North Sydney station, bus. No. 150 to Mosman, alight in Bradleys Head Road at turnoff to ferry wharf.
Australia's most well known zoological gardens, it has a large collection of native and exotic animals all housed in picturesque surroundings with the unforgettable panoramic vistas of Sydney Harbour as its backdrop. Opened in 1916, Taronga Park is home to over 2,600 animals on 21 hectares, making it one of the largest of its kind. With its panoramic views of Sydney Harbour and the city skyline, the zoo is a "must see" for visitors to Sydney.
Arthur Streeton's Sirius Cove (c. 1890) shows the eastern shore of Little Sirius Cove where Curlew Camp was located.
The eastern shore of Little Sirius Cove is the site of Curlew Camp where several famous Australian artists, including Arthur Streeton, Tom Roberts and Sidney Long, used to come in the late 1800s for sketching opportunities. One of the artists had obligingly marked the spot by carving the name and the year into a nearby sandstone rock. At Curlew Camp, Streeton, Thomas and their bohemian friends lived in tents for several years, painting some memorable images of the area. Sirius Cove (c1895), by Streeton is perhaps one of the most adventurous, showing a long 'slice' of the harbour and its sandstone rocks.
Little Sirius CoveOn the headland a narrow path is visible - this is the path leading up to the camp where the artists stayed. 'The Camp, Sirius Cove (1899)', by Roberts, shows the collection of huts and tents nestled in the bush that was Curlew Camp. Both Streeton and Roberts nostalgically returned to the themes they explored during their time at Curlew Camp in later years. In 1897, Streeton (possibly during a stay in London) painted Sydney Harbour: A souvenir. The final painting Tom Roberts completed before his death in 1931, Ring a Ring a Roses, is a version of a landscape he originally painted of Cremorne, during his time at Sirius Cove.
Prior to European settlement, over 3,000 years ago, Mosman was home to the Borogegal and Gamaraigal clans, evidence of which can be seen in the rock shelters, paintings, carvings and middens in the area. European settlement began with a few small farms and the first recorded European settler was Thomas O Neil at Hunters Bay in 1814. In 1831 Archibald Mosman received a land grant at Great Sirius Cove (today Mosman Bay) where he established a whaling station. In 1859 Richard Hayes Harnett Snr purchased Archibald Mosman s holdings and set about subdividing the area. Harnett was responsible for promoting the beauty of the area, encouraging day trippers to visit the waterfall and beaches and subsidising public transport. The increase in the number of visitors led to the establishment of pleasure gardens and various camps, including the artists camps of the 1890s.