Manly and North Harbour



17 kilometres north-east of the Sydney central business district on a narrow neck of land separating the Pacific Ocean from port Jackson s North Harbour, Manly s position has set its destiny as a premier oceanside/harbourside playground for Sydney. For many years Manly was a seaside resort that was seen as being somewhat distanced from the hustle and bustle of Sydney. These days it is very much a part of the Sydney beach scene, greatly commercialised but somehow hasn't lost its feel as a resort and popular playground for holidaymakers and daytrippers alike.

Ferries still ply the waters of Port Jackson, carrying Sydneysiders to its cafes, shops, beaches and recreational facilities that for many locals have become a way of life. Manly Cove is a popular and very busy beach alongside Manly Wharf on North Harbour that is a stone's throw from The Corso and Manly's many indoor and outdoor restaurants, cafes and hotels.

Manly Cove is the starting point for the Manly to Spit Scenic Walkway, a 7 km pathway around the northern shores of Middle and North Harbour.

Manly's biggest drawcards are its beaches which remain popular tourist destinations. Manly features a long stretch of sand on the ocean side, that runs from Queenscliff Beach to North Steyne Beach and Manly Beach. The beaches on Manly Cove - the harbour side of Manly - offer an alterative to the surf of the ocean beaches, with calm water, the ferry wharf, a swimming area, the Oceanworld Manly aquarium, and sailing and yacht clubs. There are more than 20 kilometres of cycle tracks and that can be used to explore the area, most of which begin at Manly Cove.

The Dive Centre Manly offers snorkelling and scuba tours of Manly bay. There are some excellent bush trails and much historical interest on North Head, which can be accessed by foot from Shelley Beach or by road from Manly. Bikes can be hired from Manly Bike Tours near the ferry wharf in order to cycle along the beachfront or up onto North Head. Walks
  • Manly Scenic Walkway
  • Manly Lagoon to North Head Walk
  • Manly Reservoir Reserve
  • Fairfax Walk, North Head
  • North Head Gunners Walk

  • Related Websites
  • Manly and Northern Beaches
  • Manly Surf Watch

  • Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
    Forty Baskets Beach


    Located on a thin ribbon of bushland through which the Spit to Manly Scenic Walkway passes, it is thus named after a haul of 40 baskets of fish by local fishermen in 1885 which were given to a contingent of soldiers quarantined at North Head returning from war in the Sudan. Being off the main drag, it is a quiet beach with a very low swell. Pleasant view across North Harbour to Manly.
    UBD Map 197 Ref M 12. Gourlay Avenue, Balgowlah Heights.
    Facilities: grassed areas, toilets, picnic and barbecue facilities, pool with shark net, limited parking.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly, bus No. 132, 133 from Manly beach; or bus No. 171, E71 from Wynyard. Alight cnr New St & Gourlay Ave, walk along Gourlay Ave.
    Fairlight Beach


    A tiny beach with limited room for swimming but it is somewhat less crowed than nearby Manly Cove. Delwood Beach, midway between the two, has a longer beach than Fairlight and similar facilities.
    UBD Map 197 Ref P 11. Lauderdale Avenue, Fairlight.
    Facilities: grassed areas, picnic facilities, toilets, shops and restaurants nearby, limited parking.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. Walk west along West Esplanade, left into The Crescent and into Lauderdale Ave or follow waterside path from Manly Cove.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    Manly Cove


    A popular and very busy beach alongside Manly Wharf on North Harbour that is a stone's throw from The Corso and Manly's many restaurants, cafes and hotels. Manly Cove is the starting point for the Manly to Spit Scenic Walkway, a 7 km pathway around the northern shores of Middle and North Harbour. UBD Map 198 Ref A 10. West Esplanade, Manly
    Facilities: grassed area, shark proof pool, toilets and showers at pavilion, shops and restaurants nearby, limited parking.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly.

    Little Manly Cove


    A small sheltered beach that is a pleasant, less crowded alternative to Manly Cove during the busy tourist season. It is an interesting place to visit, having not only a pleasant beach with a shark net enclosure located, it is the site of a former gasworks. Signs explain the industrial remnants and history of the site. Stuart Street, Manly.
    Facilities: grassed area, shops and restaurants nearby, limited parking.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. Walk from Manly east along east esplanade, left into Stuart St, right into Craig Ave.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6


    Manly Gasworks: In 1885, the Manly Gas Light and Coke Company was established to bring gas street lighting and coke supplies to the people of the Manly area. They operated a gas works at Little Manly Point in Carey Street. Gas was produced in vertical retorts before being piped to the scrubbers and purifiers to remove any impurities. It then passed through a meter room before being stored in gasholders under pressure. Water gas was also produced in a separate plant on the site and stored in another gas holder. There are believed to have been at least two water gas plants on the site. A number of ancillary structures associated with maintenance of the works were also located on the site. Underground tanks were located next to the purifiers for storage of coal-tar, a by product of gas manufacture. Two tar plants were possibly located on the upper north east portion of the site.

    Modern technologies and rationalisation within the company saw the closure of the gasworks in 1964 followed by demolition of the site in 1970. During its operation, gas production was largely restricted to the southern portion of the site. Brick and concrete footings of the gasworks buildings remain, indicating the location of the former retort house, gas holder and wharves associated with the operation of the gasworks. Today have been incorporated into the foreshore park which now occupies the site. Little Manly Point is today a popular place for scuba diving. Divers often find lumps of coal on the sea bed.

    Spring Cove, Collins Beach


    This picturesque bay was of particular significance to the Camaraigal Aborigines who used it for ceremonies, burials and gathered medicinal plants here. It was here that Gov. Arthur Phillip was speared by an aborigine. On 7th September 1790, Gov. Phillip went to Manly by boat to meet with an Aboriginal named Bennelong at Collins Beach on Spring Cove. As Phillip stepped forward to greet him, one of a group of natives with Bennelong, believing him to be in danger, intercepted the Governor and threw a spear which pierced Phillip's shoulder. Lt. Henry Waterhouse, Midshipman of HMS Sirius, broke off the spear as the Governor bled profusely. He was taken back to Sydney where he was operated on and the barb was removed. He returned to duty 10 days later. The name of the beach honours Capt. David Collins, Judge Advocate with the First Fleet.



    The beach features a small waterfall at its head. It is fed by a creek that drains most of the runoff from the high ground of North Head into Spring Cove. It is best viewed after rain, as it reduces to a trickle at other times. Collins Beach is home to a colony of Little Penguins, the only one on the Australian Mainland. If you do see them, be sure not to disturb them.

    UBD Map 198 Ref E 14. Collins Beach Road, Manly.
    Facilities: toilets, picnic facilities, grassed area, boat ramp at nearby Little Manly Cove.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. Walk from Manly beach. Access to the beach is by boat or on foot only. If approaching by road, follow Stuart Street Manly to the end, past the usually busy Little Manly Cove, and then take the track to the left which will lead you down through some bush and to the beach.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    Store Beach


    Store Beach on Spring Cove was thus named as it was here that stores for the Quarantine Station and persons being quarantines were brought ashore. Not many years ago, Little or Fairy Penguins were quite common on Sydney Beaches. Today, Store Beach is the location of the only surviving colony. In 1952 there were a number of penguin colonies in the Manly area totalling about 500 birds. Their numbers have slowly been depleted from about 500 birds in 1952, to only 65 breeding pairs and less than 150 birds in 2000, by dogs alighting from boats, pollution and the advent of jet skis. As Store Beach has the last breeding colony on the mainland of NSW, steps have been taken by concerned residents, wildlife preservation groups and Government bodies to protect it. Access is by boat or on foot only. No facilities.

    UBD map 198 Ref D 16. North Head Scenic Drive, North Head.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. bus No. 135 (occasional service) or walk from North Head Scenic Dr.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    Quarantine Station


    The site of the Quarantine Station was set aside for this specific purpose in 1825 when the convict ship Bussorah Merchant arrived carrying smallpox and the crew and passengers had to be quarantined. They were unloaded at Store Beach where they were left to fend for themselves for 2 weeks.

    The Quarantine Station was opened in 1832, however its main period of use was between 1870 and the 1920s. In 1881, a smallpox epidemic swept Sydney after the release of a man from the Station who had been wrongly diagnosed as having a mild case of chickenpox. The station was at its busiest during the Bubonic Plague of 1900 and Influenza epidemic of 1918-19, when it handled up to 1,500 people.

    The Station came into occasional use only in the 1930s. After the war, it was converted to a Commonwealth Detention Centre for illegal immigrants. Its final claim to fame was in 1974 when it became the temporary home of 750 Darwin residents whose homes had been destroyed by cyclone Tracy. It was permanently closed for quarantine purposes in 1984.



    Despite its obsolescence and geographical reduction the Quarantine Station remains a city in itself, boasting its own post office, power supply, water reservoir, hospital, morgue, telephone exchange and paved streets lined with various styles and types of buildings. The atmosphere at the Station was always sombre at best, as most of those quarantined had been forced to endure long voyages from the other side of the world on disease ridden ships. Such was the typhus ridden Lady McNaughton which arrived in Sydney Harbor in 1837 after loosing 54 passengers en route. Thirteen more died after arrival in what were then described as "truly appalling conditions with a sense of misery, wretchedness and disease present everywhere."

    Over 500 people died here, and of those detainees who survived, hundreds left messages and poems carved in the sandstone in the grounds of the Station, recording everything from sad epitaphs for long lost lovers to comical anecdotes. Entry fee applies.
    UBD Map 218 Ref C 1. Quarantine Station, North Head Scenic Drive, Manly.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. bus No. 135 (occasional service) or walk from North Head Scenic Dr.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    Ghosts of the Quarantine Station Tours


    The National parks and Wildlife Service (Phone: (02) 9977 6522) regularly conducts a three hour ghost tour after sunset, where visitors are led by tour guides through the winding unlit streets and buildings that constitute the Station. There are no theme park gimmicks or staff dressed up in white sheets to frighten visitors, the emphasis is on the Station's history and documented cases of paranormal phenomena.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    North Head


    The entrance to Sydney Harbour, guarded by the cliffs of North and South Head, is the only accessway by water to port Jackson. The heads are popular picnic spots, especially on Boxing Day (26th December) where crowds gather to watch entrants in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race make their way through the heads and out to open sea. A pair of lookouts are perched on the clifftop of North Head, offering views of the coastal cliffs, down the coast towards Sydney's eastern suburbs and beaches and across the waters of Sydney Heads to Port Jackson and the entrance to Middle Harbour.

    There are a number of lookouts perched on the clifftop of North Head which offer views down the coast towards Sydney's eastern suburbs and beaches and across the waters of Sydney Heads to Port Jackson and the entrance to Middle Harbour.
    UBD Map 218 Ref G 5. Sydney Harbour National Park, North Head Scenic Drive.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. bus No. 135 (occasional service) or walk from North Head Scenic Dr.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    North Head Fortifications


    The fort at North Head was completed in 1938 and was manned continuously until the 1960 2s. It consisted of two 9.2-inch coastal guns in two emplacements connected by an underground tunnel. The guided guns could rotate 360 degrees and had a range of 27 kilometres. They were supported by two searchlight elements, and three 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft guns. This battery was until recently the home of The Royal Australian Artillery National Museum. UBD Map 238 Ref C 16
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    North Head Shipwrecks


    Many tragic incidents occurred in the harbour as the population of the 1788 settlement on Sydney Cove grew into the exciting metropolis it has become today. Even during wartime, Sydney Harbour provided excellent protection but three Japanese mini-subs managed to enter. Although the creating of significant military damage was avoided, the steamer Kuttabul was sunk with the loss of 19 lives. It was, however, during the migration years of the mid to late 19th century that the most tragic shipping incidents occurred, tragic not only in the loss of lives, but the circumstances of their loss, many lives being lost so close to their destination months at sea. The fully-rigged ship Dunbar is just one example of such a tragedy, wrecked outside the Heads in 1858, with the loss of all but one of her complement.

    At 1321 tons she remains the largest vessel lost in or near the harbour. The Catherine Adamson was another tragedy, with 20 lost  after she had negotiated the Heads. Most losses within the harbour have been as a result of collisions or fire, although six vessels have been lost on Sow and Pigs, one of the few navigation hazards inside the heads. There are over 300 vessels recorded as having come to grief in and around Sydney. Of these, more than 90 were lost within the harbour. Many others sank as they attempted to enter the Heads.

    Annie: Wooden barque, 470 tonnes. Forced on to rocks in a gale at North Head about 100 metres from where the Catherine Adamson was lost, 30th June 1858. The S.S. Nora Creina tried to to take it in tow but to no avail. Two of the crew jumped overboard and swam ashore; the remainder including the captain and pilot dropped from the yards into the sea, where they were rescued by several small craft. Scattered wreckage lies in 15 metres of water.

    Capella: Wooden ketch, 24 tons. Built NSW 1913; reg. Sydney, 67/1923. Length 52.5 ft. Lost 600 metres inside North Head, 23rd December 1925.

    Catherine Adamson: Wooden full rig ship, 886 tonnes. Built at Aberdeen, 1855. Entered Port Jackson Heads on the evening of 23th October 1857, but lost steerage way in light winds and was forced to anchor; rockets were fired to attract attention to its plight, and the steamer Williams coming in from Newcastle tried unsuccessfully to take it in tow. At about 3 am on the 24th it swung stern on to the rocks, south of Old Mans Hat, North Head, forcing passengers and crew to the boats, although in the heavy seas some decided to remain on board. Before rescue craft reached the scene, two boats were upset in the rough seas and some of their occupants drowned. Meanwhile the clipper began to break up rapidly and soon its masts had gone over the side as the seas made a clean breach over her, sweeping some of those still on board to their deaths. Some passengers and crew reached safety in a boat but five passengers, fifteen of the crew and the pilot lost their lives.
    The wreck was re-discovered in the late 1950s by scuba divers but all that remains today are unrecognisable pieces of debris scattered over the sand and among rocks, 40 metres off Inner North Head, west of Old Mans Hat. An anchor and chain lie on the scattered site.

    Centurion: Wooden barque, 965 tonnes. Built Scotland, 1869. Struck rocks at North Head, 16th January 1887. It was being towed out from Sydney; the captain of its tug, afraid he might collide with the barque Manhegan which was anchored nearby, stopped and went astern. The Centurion drifted shore wards and quickly went to pieces. Within half an hour very little remained but the crew were rescued unharmed. Twisted rusted metal, timbers, a coil of rope and chain are about all that remains in 18 metres of water off Quarantine Head. Falcon: Three-masted schooner, 195 tonnes. Built New Zealand, 1874. From Sydney to Newcastle, drifted on to rocks where she soon broke whilst passing Old Mans Hat, 14th June 1886. The rocket crew were quickly on the scene and rescued seven of the crew, but one man drowned. Scattered wreckage inside North Head.

    Herald: Iron paddle steamer, tug, 41 tons. Built NSW, 1855. Foundered when the bottom of her boiler blew out, off North Head, Sydney, 1st April 1884. No lives lost. Wrecksite known just east of North Head point in open sea.

    Lady Emma: Schooner, 128 tons. Built Scotland, 1854. Ashore on North Head when leaving Port Jackson, 30th April 1880. Captain was washed overboard and drowned but the remainder of the crew reached safety in her boat.

    Liberty: Wooden schooner, 42 tons. Built Tasmania, 1824. Forced ashore near North Head and lost, 20th January 1830. No loss of life. Only scattered wreckage remain just west of North Head, inside Port Jackson.

    Eagle: Schooner, 125 tons. Built USA, 1848. Dragged her anchors and wrecked when she went ashore on North Head, 28th July 1866. Wreckage lies amongst the boulders about 1 km inside North Head in eighteen metres.

    Emily Ann: Ketch, 39 tons. Missed stays off North Head and drifted on to rocks, 1889. Scattered wreckage off North Head.

    Emily Hort: Wooden schooner, 141 tons. Forced ashore at Old Mans Hat on North Head, Sydney Harbour, in a north- easterly, 12th October 1861. Scattered wreckage in twenty metres just off Old Mans Hat.

    Emma Matilda: Cutter 12 tons. Built NSW. Ashore and lost on rocks at North Head, 30th December 1895. The dinghy was launched but capsized, drowning the captain. His son managed to hang on to wreckage until washed ashore.

    Mat Byrnes: Wooden schooner, collier, 234 tons. Built NSW, 1896. Missing stays, swept on to rocks and lost near the north heads, Port Jackson entrance, 2nd February 1901. Crew landed safely at Manly.
    UBD Map 1 Ref E 6

    North Harbour


    North Harbour is the smallest of the three ocean inlets that combined are known as Port Jackson. North Harbour is that section to the north of Sydney Heads that forms a large bay upon which the suburb of Manly is located at its head. The suburbs on and around North Harbour were created in the mid to late 19th century when Manly was heavily promoted as the beachside holiday playground of the City of Sydney. Like Sydney Harbour, the calm waters of North and Middle Harbours are well used by boat owners and on weekends are filled with an array of small craft from dinghies to cruisers, skifs to yachts.

    Freshwater Beach


    In 1915 Hawaiian surfer champion Duke Kahanamoku demonstrated the art of riding the waves at Freshwater Beach. The waves are more suited to bodysurfing than board riding and there are a few rips to keep all on their toes. A rock pool offers sheltered swimming, though surf does beack over the wall when the swell is up. A good alternative to the busier Manly beach to the south. Location: Cooloora Ave., Queenscliff Bay.
    Facilities: patrolled by lifesavers, changerooms, toilets, grassed area, picnic and barbecue facilities, children's playground, kiosk
    Public transport: ferry to Manly, bus No. 130, alight at Bridge Rd; or bus No. E65 from Wynyard, alight at Carrington Pde.

    Queenscliff Beach


    North Steyne, Manly. Queenscliff beach is the northern section of the 1.5 km long strip of sand that is Manly Beach. Queenscliff also has a rockpool.
    Facilities: patrolled by lifesavers, changerooms, toilets, grassed areas.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. Walk along The Corso to beach.

    Manly Beach


    South Steyne, Manly. The 1.5km beach, incorporating Manly, North Steyne and Queenscliff beaches, is a wide strip of clean sand with good surf. The plethora of hotels, restaurants, cafes, nightlife and other attractions beyond the beach are a bonus. Facilities: patrolled by lifesavers, changerooms, toilets, grassed areas.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. Walk along The Corso to beach.

    Fairy Bower


    A sheltered sea-water rockpool on Cabbage Tree Bay beside the walkway from Manly Beach to Shelly Beach. The swimming pool was built by local residents in 1929. It is the smallest pool in Sydney, apart from those built especially for children and remains almost unaltered from its original state. This location takes its name from a pleasure grounds which operated here in the 19th century. A famous surf spot, Fairy Bower is one of the best point breaks of Sydney, breaking in front of Manly Beach, next to Shelly Beach.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. Walk along The Corso to beach.

    The Fairy Bower dive site epitomises Cabbage Tree Bay Aquatic Reserve. This reserve is one of the few no-take zones around Sydney and supports over 200 species of bony fish, not to mention the occasional turtle, dolphin, sea horse, and weedy sea dragon. Because of its ease of access it s a great place for a night dive. There are fewer fish out and about, and those that are appear in a different colour scheme than the daylight dive, like red rock cod.



    Eastern Water Dragons, impressive native lizards that occur near waterways in bushland and urban areas, are common around Fairy Bower. Unlike many other reptile species which are on the decline, they appear to be coping well in urban landscapes. Eastern Water Dragons are harmless to humansif left alone. Large adult Water Dragons will appear confident and friendly however they should not be approached as they have very sharp claws and can deliver a serious bite.

    Shelly Beach


    Power Street, Manly. A secluded beach nestled behind a headland to the south-east of the main beach at Manly at the head of Cabbage Tree Bay. The beach itself is comprised not of sand but of thousands of tiny finely ground shells, hence its name. It has the distinction of being one of only two ocean beaches on the east coast of Australia bay beach faces directly west. A lookout on the headland behind the beach affords views up and down the coast. Access by car is possible though nothing beats the 15 minute stroll south along the waterfront from the main beach at Manly to this delightful location. Bring a picnic or treat yourself to a feed at the restaurant which has an enviable reputation for fine dining in delightful surroundings.
    Facilities: car park, toilets, picnic facilities, rock enclosed swimming pool, restaurant and takeaway cafe.
    Public transport: ferry to Manly. Walk from Manly beach.

    Manly Scenic Walkway


    This is one of the most popular walks in the Sydney region, and is a must for anyone who enjoys walking and is eager to explore the bushland around Sydney. Allow yourself the best part of a day to make this popular hike along the foreshores of Middle and North Harbours. Lookouts at Grotto Pt, Cutler Rd and Tania Park offer expansive harbour views. Take a dip at Clontarf, Castle Rock, Washaway, Reeef, Forty Baskets, Balgowlah, Fairlight or Delwood beaches on the way. Easy to Moderate walk. 10 km one way.

    How to Get There: ferry to Manly, or Bus No. 190 from Wynyard to Spit Bridge. If you start at Manly, to get a bus back to Manly Wharf, cross under the Spit Bridge and north to the bus stop for buses 143,144 and 169. For City or Chatswood buses cross the Bridge on the eastern side to the bus stop. Alternatively, take the overland route back to Manly via Gallipoli steps, New Street West to North Harbour Reserve and the Fairlight Walk to Manly Wharf.

    The Manly Ferry


    Very few cities in the world can boast an institution as unique as the Manly ferry, a service which takes passengers on a 30 minute ride up one of the most beautiful harbours in the world, past historic sites, a naval dockyard and hundreds of beautiful homes, then gives a taste of the open sea before berthing at one of the world's most delightful seaside suburbs. The journey back is even better, the sight of the Sydney skyline rolling into view as the ferry rounds Bradleys Head and heads for home, particularly at sunset, is quite spectacular.

    This most memorable of ferry trips was born in the 1850s when a successful Sydney businessman, Henry Gilbert Smith, had a dream of developing Manly into a resort, modelling it on Brighton in England. At that time Manly was nothing more than a strip of low scrub between the Pacific Ocean and Manly Cove beaches, whose main claim to fame was it being named ahead of Sydney and the place where Sydney s first Governor, Arthur Phillip, was speared by an aborigine. Smith's dream was to develop Manly as both a high class residential area as well as a tourist resort. He bought and subdivided the land that today constitutes the Manly town centre, and using the catch phrase "Manly - 12 miles from Sydney ... a thousand miles from care"  set the direction in which Manly was to grow.



    Because of its isolation, Smith knew he wouldn t be able to sell a single block of land or entice one tourist to Manly without a reliable ferry service. The first Manly ferry, the steamer PS Nora Creina, which was custom built by Smith for the Sydney to Manly run, made its first voyage on Boxing Day 1854, and started a tradition that continues until today. Smith did his best to attract residents, holidaymakers and day trippers to Manly. German bands played on board the ferry, and at Manly, everything was laid on to make sure visitors came back.

    It was not until the opening of the Spit Bridge in 1924 that the Manly ferry service received competition from any other form transport, though a train or tram service which was first mooted in the 1880s and again in 1915 when the Harbour Bridge was being planned brought more than a little concern to the various ferry operators. From 1924, the ferry service fell into gradual decline, and it was not until the 1970s, when the Government introduced a new fleet of faster ferries, that patronage began to increase as a new generation of Sydneysiders discovered the pleasure of harbour travel.

    Markets


    Manly Design and Farmers Market
    Intersection The Corso and Sydney Road, Manly.
    Trading: Every Saturday  9am  2pm
    Type: Farmers, Produce, Organic
    Phone: 0435 388 410

    Manly Village School Market
    Cnr Darley Rd
    Trading: 3rd Saturday of the Month
    Type: General
    Phone: (02) 9949 2351

    Shelly Beach Markets
    Shelly Beach NSW 2261, Australia
    Trading: Last Saturday of the month; December market TBA  8:00am  2:00pm
    Type: Art & Craft, Antique & Collectables, Artisans, Baby & Kids/Children, Designers, General, Variety, Vintage/Retro, Farmers, Produce, Organic, Fashion, Handmade, *Wheel Chair Friendly, Music, Food, Recycle
    Phone: 0424 940 614




    View Larger Map

    • Get Directions







    • How to Get There:
      Transport services to Manly include a ferry service from Manly Wharf, and bus services to the city and other suburbs. The Manly Ferry journey takes 30 minutes and allows for scenic views of Sydney Harbour, surrounding national parks and Sydney icons including the Harbour Bridge and Opera House. A privately owned and operated Fast Ferry operates between Manly and Sydney CBD on weekdays, offering transport in 18 minutes.

      The Name

      It was here that the local Aborigines, feasting on the remains of a beached whale, first met Governor Arthur Phillip of the new British settlement at Sydney Cove in 1788, naming it Manly for the indigenous people living there, stating that "their confidence and manly behaviour made me give the name of Manly Cove to this place".

      Beach Volleyball


      North Head cliffs

    Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
    Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone