Longueville is one of the suburbs of Sydney s Lower North Shore which fronts onto the Lane Cove River. This small residential suburb occupies a peninsula between Tambourine Bay and Woodford Bay, situated 8 km north west of the Sydney central business district.
Originally a home to manufacturing industries, the suburb had its beginnings as a residential area in the 1870s. Longueville was officially proclaimed a suburb in the 1920s and today it is home to some of Australia s most expensive real estate, with the Sydney Morning Herald ranking it as Sydney s fifth most-expensive suburb.
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
Longueville Reserve is an waterfront park which is accessed from Stuart Street, Longueville. This park is located adjacent to Aquatic Park. It is a gently sloping grassed area with large trees overlooking Lane Cove River. Longueville Park has picnic tables and seats available but no BBQ facilities (BBQs are nearby in Aquatic Park). There is also Children s play equipment. This park is a painters paradise with fabulous water views to city. There are no toilets, however there are some located a short walk to Aquatic Park, near Longueville public wharf. Parking is available on Stuart Street.
Longueville Park offers a different view of the harbour and Sydney city skyline than that normally seen from the more well known vantage points. Aboriginal engravings of a fish and an emu are to be found on the left hand side of the park near the waterfront at the end of Stuart Street. The engravings, which have been touched up and painted in recent times, are situated on a flat rock face above the water and have a timber barrier erected around them. In all probability the engravings identify the location of a campsite where shellfish were caught and eaten. Facilities: toilets, picnic tables, barbecues, grassed area.
Public transport: bus No. 261 from Sydney Town Hall. Alight at Cnr of Stuart and Poole Streets, Longueville, continue down Stuart Street to park.
A riverside park which is accessed from Mary Street, Longueville. It has a sloping grassed area to the Lane Cove River foreshore. The park has BBQ facilities (some wood provided, but take your own to be safe) and Picnic tables are available. There is some parking within park and on-street parking in Mary Street. There is play equipment for the children. Aquatic Park is base for North Shore Rowing Club, Lane Cove 12ft Sailing Skiff Club and 2nd Longueville Sea Scouts. Toilets are located close by below cliff near Lane Cove 12ft Sailing Skiff Club.
Blaxland's Corner, the junction between Northwood, River, Longueville Rds and Kenneth St, recalls Francis Blaxland, the nephew of explorer and agriculturalist, Gregory Blaxland., who owned the whole area. Francis built a house, Kailora, at 15 Northwood Rd. The estate was subdivided in 1919, part of it becoming a small commercial area.
Northwood is the neighbouring suburb to Longueville, situated on the northern side of the Lane Cove River between Woodford Bay and Gore Creek. Northwood is named after Northwood House, designed by colonial architect Edmund Blacket (1817-1883) and built by Mrs Jane Davy in 1878. The name was chosen because it is descriptive of its location, a woodland area in the north. Mrs Davy also built a ferry at her own expense, so that her family could travel to the city by ferry. Northwood was the home of landscape artist Lloyd Rees for many years before his death in 1988. Many of his later paintings are of the area. Lloyd Rees Park on Woodford Bay is named in his honour.
Originally known as Pennys Point, it is one of Sydney s smallest suburbs. Northwood's small and rather exclusive peninsula is full of fine houses in a variety of mostly twentieth century architectural styles. The suburb was known in the three decades after WWII for its arts community, with a surprising number of artists and sculptors living in the area. A number of them, including Lloyd Rees, met regularly and exhibited under the name of the Northwood Group.
The head of Woodford Bay, Northwood, is the site of the first European settlement on Sydney's Lower North Shore. First Fleeter Lt. Ralph Clark landed here on St. Valentine's Day 1790 and established a small settlement. A stone and timber convict-built stockade was erected in 1800 to protect the convicts working there from hostile Aborigines. A well and a number of tunnels dug there in Gov. Macquarie's time remain on private property beyond the end of Kellys Esplanade. UBD Map 215 Ref E 11
The area that is today known as Longueville was originally inhabited by the Cam-mer-ray-gal Group of the Ku-ring-gai Aboriginal Tribe. The group, which inhabited the north shore of Port Jackson, was one of the largest in the Sydney area.
Lt Ralph Clark, of The Marines, landed in Woodford Bay on 14th Febuary 1790 during an early exploratory expedition of the Parramatta and Lane Cove Rivers by the First Fleet settlers. The first recorded meeting in the Lane Cove area between the Cameraygal people and the British took place at that time. Clark recorded a friendly encounter with two Cam-mer-ray-gal men, who were given gifts and food.
The first settlement north of Sydney was established here in that year. A few years later a wharf and road were constructed from the Bay by Isaac Nichols, first postmaster of NSW. It was protected by a small stone and timber stockade, the foundations of which remain under a house in Kellys Esplanade. Remnants of the original road and an old well are also on private property. Woodford Bay still retains glimpses of gentler days with its bush, mud flats and tiny beaches and boatsheds.
The first recorded landowner was Robert Kirk who owned a 120 acre estate here. He established a soap factory here in 1831, other industries followed. Development of Longueville was extremely slow. Longueville had its beginnings as a residential area in the 1870s, and at the time encompassed the Lane Cove area, which in turn was then part of Willoughby.
By 1884, there were just two houses in the area, owned by Joseph Palmer and Henry Lamb. Richard Hayes Harnett, a land speculator, later acquired some of the land and subdivided it into home sites. Subdivision and the sale of land for residential development took off after World War I and during the 1920s after a ferry service to the city was launched, it became one of Sydney s fastest growing suburbs.
A quiet bay on the Lane Cove River featuring a grassed area and rock swimming pool. The Tambourine Bay track is a very pleasant harbourside walk. Situated in a bushland area known as Hodgson Park, the track rises and dips towards sedge and mangrove areas, passing over a bank of shale supposedly from a little shale mine once here. Into the early twentieth century, this was a popular picnic area and a locally built wooden footbridge reached across the creek and marsh from Longueville to facilitate access to ferry wharves. There is little trace of this now.
Mangroves have expanded, shielding the pleasant open area at the head of the Bay from the water. The track climbs and passes under rock overhangs and over some remnant Aboriginal shell middens before reaching the Sea Scouts hut and little harbour pool built by local residents.
Facilities: grassed area, swimming pool, picnic facilities.
Public transport: train to Chatswood, bus No. 532, alight at Tambourine Bay Rd.
Coronation Viewpoint is a lookout located on Pacific Highway south of Osborne Road. This is a small level grassed area looking south with spaces for 10 cars. Seats and gardens are at this lookout.
Stringy Bark Creek Reserve is bounded by Murray, Ralston and Nundah Streets, Karilla and Centennial Avenues. The park accessed in Murray Street is a shaded, grassed area with tall trees. Here you will find children's play equipment, a tennis practice wall, a cricket practice wicket, BBQ facilities and picnic tables and benches. You can join the stringy Bark Creek bushwalks from the reserve. There is only street parking and no toilets are available.
Blackman Park is located in Lloyd Rees Drive (off Wood Street) Lane Cove West. This is a large Park located beside the Lane Cove River consisting of sporting grounds, Picnic areas, large flat open space and river foreshore Bushwalks. There is ample parking for up to 80 cars. In the Picnic area at the far end of the park there are wood BBQs and picnic tables and a small picnic shelter.
Toilet facilities are available. Blackman Park is also the base for 1st Lane Cove Scout Group and Lane Cove/Longueville Guide Group. It is also home of the Lane Cove West Tennis Club having 3 courts with night lights and Tennis practice wall located between courts. The park also has a skateboard ramp, basketball court and practice hoop that are available for public use. The park is a leash free exercise area for dogs (rules apply near sporting fields).
Blackman Park has Gates which close at night: Gates are opened 6am-8.30pm Monday-Friday; 7am-7pm Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays