Liverpool


A major administrative centre in Greater Western Sydney, Liverpool located 32 km south-west of the Sydney central business district. Liverpool continues to undergo a rapid transformation into a major CBD in its own right.

Liverpool is well served by roads such as the Hume Highway (also known as Liverpool Road), the M5 motorway, the Westlink M7 motorway. Liverpool railway station has reasonable services to Sydney CBD and Campbelltown as well as two morning peak services to Parramatta on most weekdays. The Liverpool to Parramatta transitway provides a bus-only route for buses.

A number of long distance coach operators also service Liverpool for Canberra, Melbourne and Adelaide. Priors Scenic Express provides a service six days a week from Liverpool station to the Southern Highlands, Shoalhaven and the South Coast of New South Wales.



Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.

Markets

Collingwood Hotel Market
321 Hume Highway, Liverpool
Trading: Last Sunday of every Month
Type: General
Phone: 0410 928 328

Liverpool Markets
Cnr Cumberland Highway & Viscount Place, Liverpool
Trading: Every Saturday & Sunday - 8:30am - 4:30pm
Type: General
Phone: 1300 627 538

The Dazzling Boutique Markets
The Whitlam Leisure Centre, Memorial Avenue, Liverpool NSW 2170, Australia
Trading: bi-monthly
Type: Art & Craft, Artisans, Baby & Kids/Children, Designers, General, Fashion, Handmade, *Wheel Chair Friendly, Music, Food, Community
Mobile: 0418 260 284

Liverpool Regional Museum

Liverpool is rich in natural and social history, and this museum documents the cultural heritage of the Liverpool district. Cnr Hume Hwy & Congressional Drive, Liverpool. Open Tues - Sat 10.00am - 4.00pm. Other times by appointment
Public transport: train to Liverpool, Bus No. 850, 864, 866 , 868, 869, alight at museum.

Historic Buildings

Unlike neighbouring Parramatta which has retained many of its 19th century buildings and has many of Australia's oldest houses, there are very few early colonial buildings to be seen in Liverpool. Those that have survived intact today, all date back to the convict days of old Liverpool, and are well worth seeing if you have an interest in colonial architecture. Easily the oldest building in Liverpool is the charming Collingwood House. Built by the American whaling Captain Eber Bunker, the main part of the house dates back to 1810. The estate undertook various farming activities for the benefit of the early colony. Collingwood farm grew wheat, grazed cattle and operated a flour mill.


St Luke's Church

St Luke's Church: Although Francis Greenway came to NSW as a convicted forger and died in obscurity, he brought distinction to Australian colonial architecture. Windsor and Liverpool are the two of Macquarie s country towns which retain rare public works designed by Greenway. One of these is St Luke's, the oldest continually used Anglican Church in Australia. It was instigated by the newly arrived colonial governor, Lachlan Macquarie, during a meeting with a small group of colonists on 7th November 1810 to discuss their hopes and requirements for the proposed town of Liverpool. The acting surveyor, Mr James Meehan was directed to mark out the ground for the town with a square at the centre for the town's the church. Nathanial Lucas, who was a convict in the First Fleet, was contracted to build the church.

Work commenced in 1818 but took six years to complete due to arguments between the renowned convict architect Francis Greenway and its builders. After the body of Lucas was found in the mud on the banks of the Georges River after a bout of drinking, he was replaced by James Smith, whose working relationship with Greenway was as bad as Lucas's had been. During the construction of St Luke's a convict hung himself in the unfinished tower. The building was substantially completed during the last quarter of 1819 and opened for its first church service during October 1819. As such, St Luke s claims to be the oldest standing Anglican Church in Australia. You can view the interior of the church during any of its three Sunday services or by appointment.
  • More




  • The cemetery of St Luke's Anglican Church in Liverpool contains the grave of Mary Bateman (1775-1829), wife of First Fleeter George Gess (Guest). Mary was herself a transportee, having arrived on the second fleet's Lady Juliana. Richard Guise was the first recorded burial in St Lukes cemetery in 1821. Robert Cartwright was the chaplain at St Luke's in 1820 and was buried in what is now known as "Pioneer's Memorial Park" in 1856.


    Old Liverpool Hospital

    Old Liverpool Hospital: Now the home of the South Western Institute of TAFE, the Old Liverpool Hospital is another of the busy ex-convict architect Francis Greenway's creations. Parts of the impressive building were completed in 1822, however, the tablet above the entrance reads 1825 indicating the second storey was not completed until then.


    Glenfield Farm

    Glenfield Farm: Located a few kilometres out of Liverpool is Glenfield Farm. The house and two storey barn date back to around 1817. They were built for explorer and colonial officer Dr. Charles Throsby whose family lived at the farm for over 100 years. It was famously a hippy commune of a kind during the ownership of Boer War veteran James Leacock, who died there aged 95 in 1974.


    Old Liverpool Courthouse

    Old Liverpool Courthouse: The administration of law and order in convict era Liverpool was centred around what is nowadays known as the old Liverpool courthouse at the corner of Moore and Bigge streets. It was once flanked by Liverpool's gaol and soldier's barracks and dates back to the late 1820's (although debate rages about the construction date). It served as a working court house until 1972. Its interior still retains its character including the judge's podium, jury and court recorders boxes and creepy underground holding cells.

Leacock Regional Park



The park provides open space between the suburbs of Casula and Glenfield. From the ridge line there are views over Holsworthy bushland and Sydney's skyline. The park is accessed from Leacock Lane off the Hume Highway at Casula. It features a walking track and lookout platform, barbecues and picnic facilities, as well as walking trails along the banks of the Georges River. Leacock Lane, Casula.
Public transport: train to Liverpool, Bus No. 864

Bents Basin State Recreational Area



This deep waterhole, forming part of a gorge on the Nepean River between Camden and Penrith, is a popular retreat for people in Sydney's western auburbs. Visitors can picnic or enjoy water-based activities such as swimming and canoeing.
Facilities: barbecues, picnic areas, disabled access, camping areas, fireplaces, a kiosk, toilets and an education centre. Entry fee applies.
Wolstenholme Avenue, Wallacia. No direct access by public transport

Army Engineer Museum

The museum tells the history of Australian Army Engineers from 1860s until today. Includes convict built military chapel. Open 9.30am - 12.30pm and 1.30pm - 4.00pm Mon - Wed; 9.30am - 12.30pm and 1.30pm Thurs, Fri; 10.00am - 4.00pm Sun and Public holidays. Entry fee applies. School of Military Engineering, Moorebank Ave, Moorebank.
Public transport: train to Liverpool. Bus No. 863 to Holsworthy.

Simmo's Beach Recreation Reserve



Popular local picnic spot created around a natural arc of white sand on the banks of the Georges River. An artificial lake on the upper ground has extended the reserve's capacity to handle the growing number of visitors. A walking trail from the lower car park leads up the river gorge through picturesque bushland. A number of examples of Aboriginal rock art including hand stencils and animals can be seen in caves and overhangs in the less frequented northern section. The 75 ha. reserve s name recalls Bob Simmonds who illegally mined beach sand here in the 1950s.
Facilities: barbecues, picnic tables, grassed area, toilets, bus parking, wheelchair access along riverside boadwalk. Fifth Avenue, Macquarie Fields.
Public transport: train to Macquarie Fields, Bus No. 870, 871, alight at reserve entrance.

Ingleburn Reserve



Another popular local bushland area with picnic and children's play facilities. Walk down a relatively steep path into the river gorge to Ingleburn Weir and walking paths. The rugged scenery of the gorge is worth seeing and this would be one of the easiest locations to access the Georges River.
Facilities: toilets, picnic and barbecue facilities. Picnic Grove, Ingleburn. Picnic Grove, Ingleburn.
Public transport: train to Macquarie Fields, Bus No. 872, alight at cnr Evelyn St. & Bensley Rd, walk south along Bensley Rd, left into Picnic Grove.

Mirambeena Regional Park



The Park consists of a string of parks and nature reserves on the banks of the Georges River and Prospect Creek stretching between the suburbs of Lansdowne and Georges Hall. It caters for a variety of outdoor leisure activities, from model boating to sport and bushwalking. It was here that explorers Matthew Flinders and George Bass camped during their voyage of exploration up the Georges River in the early days of Sydney. Their visit is remembered in the name Flinders Slopes, one of the Park's five sections.

Flinders Slopes: Henry Lawson Drive, Lansdowne. Facilities include an adventure playground, amphitheatre, barbecues, exercise track, look-out, picnic facilities, walking tracks.



Garrison Park: Garrison Point, Beatty Parade, Georges Hall. Derives its name from the garrison of soldiers once stationed here for the protection and assistance of Major Johnston when he was conducting a government census. Johnson, best remembered as the man who led troops of the NSW Corps into Sydney to arrest Governor William Bligh in the infamous Rum Rebellion of 1808, was granted land at the point and built a small cottage there. Park facilities include barbecues, new playground, disabled, an exercise track, picnic facilities, toilets, walks, foreshore views.

Lake Gillawarna: Ashford Avenue, Georges Hall. Facilities include artificial lakes, an exercise track, picnic facilities, a kiosk, a playground, river frontage, toilets.

Lansdowne Reserve: Henry Lawson Drive, Lansdowne Road and Hume Highway, Lansdowne. Facilities include barbecues, bushwalking, cross-country track, off-road model car track, picnic facilities, road cycling track, toilets.

Shortland Brush: Hanly Street), Georges Hall. Facilities include a boating lake, exercise tracks, Barnaby's Restaurant.
Public transport: train to Bankstown, Bus No. 937, alight at park.

Chipping Norton Lakes


Grand Flaneur Beach, Chipping Norton Lake


In the mid-1970s the land around the lakes was wasteland, decimated by more than two decades of sand mining. The State Government came to its rescue and created a 300 hectare reserve featuring lakes, landscaped parklands, sports fields, piers and jetties. The reserve includes a number of river beaches, including Grand Flaneur Beach on Chipping Norton Lake. The beach is named after a racehorse bred by local identity William Long, after whose property the suburb of Chipping Norton is named. Long built a private training track at Warwick Farm which later became Warwick Farm Racecourse. He became famous for his skill in breeding horses. The greatest of them was Grand Flaneur which won nine races in a row and was never beaten, but was most famous for winning the Melbourne Cup of 1880.

The suburb of Chipping Norton was named by William Alexander Long after a village in Oxfordshire, England. Long was born in Sydney and went to England to study law. While there he lived for a time in the Oxfordshire village of Chipping Norton. On his return to Sydney, he purchased numerous former land grants to the east of Liverpool and established a horse stud on his property, which he named Chipping Norton. It was bought by the government after Long s death and subdivided into farming blocks for returned World War I soldiers in 1919. These gave way to industry and residential development after World War II.

Warwick Farm



The neighbouring suburb of Warwick Farm was named after the town of Warwick in England by John Hawley Stroud, the superintendent of the Liverpool Orphans School who received a grant covering the site of the Warwick Farm racecourse. He gave the name to his farm and it was later adopted for the whole area.

Among the first European occupants of land here were Irish political prisoners transported to New South Wales because of their involvement in the Irish rebellion of 1798. Grants were made to other transportees, many of whom were not criminals as we understand the term today, having opposed the government on matters of national interest. Warwick Farm racecourse came into being as a result of numerous farms in the area breeding horses and a course was created to race them. The first race meeting was held in 1889. During World War II, huts were built to create the British Navy shore base HMS Golden Hind. After the war the huts were used as emergency accommodation and named Hargrave Park. Shops and houses now occupy its site.



Miniature Sydney Harbour Bridge: A well known landmark on the Hume Highway at Warwick Farm is a miniature version of Sydney's Harbour Bridge, which stands proudly at the entrance to the premises of motor dealer Peter Warren. First used in a display during half time at the 1987 Rugby League Grand Final at the Sydney Cricket Ground, it was built and assembled by apprentices from Garden Island.

Peter Warren, who was at the Grand Final, decided to purchase it and have it transported and erected at the front of his Warwick Farm motor dealership where it now stands. Numerous engineering modifications had to be carried out to comply with various statutory requirements, eg. road clearance to the bottom of the span to allow semi-trailers etc. to access the dealership under it.

The bridge was officially opened on Sunday 7th February 1988 and was Peter Warren's contribution to the Australian Bicentenary celebrations of 1988. Due to public response and the fact that it became such a recognisable landmark during 1988, permission was sought and eventually granted by all necessary authorities to allow the bridge to remain for perpetuity. The bridge is for display purposes only and cannot be entered or walked across.



Lost Railways - Warick Farm Racecourse Branch Line: Warwick Farm is the location of one of Sydney's abandoned suburban railway branch lines. The Racecourse branch was a 1.6 km line from Warwick Farm to the nearby racecourse, owned by the Australian Jockey Club. The Warwick Farm Racecourse branch line left the Main South line near Warwick Farm station. It then crossed Hume Highway at a level crossing before ending at the Racecourse station alongside Governor Macquarie Drive.

The line had a 200m Horse Dock platform, and facilities for storing up to 8 trains. Race day special trains from North Sydney and the city were able to bring racegoers to the racecourse entrance. This 1.63 kilometre branch line was owned by the Australian Jockey Club and operated by CityRail and its predecessors. The Branch was closed in 1991. The platform as well as the gates on the racecourse boundary near where it crossed Hume Highway are all that remain of the line today. A free bus service now operates between the racecourse and the station is available on racedays.


Brickmakers Creek passing under Lawrence Hargrave Road, Warwick Farm

Brickmakers Creek: this creek flows north from Lurnea through Liverpool before emptying into Cabramatta Crek at Warwick Farm. It is so named because of the Liverpool Steam Brickworks were on its banks. During the late 1800's until the early 1900 s the brickworks was the main source of Liverpool's building materials. Most turn-of-the-century homes in Liverpool were built with bricks that were made at the Brickworks. The bricks are easily identified by the MC stamped on one side and Liverpool displayed on the other.

Mt Pritchard



The name of the neighbouring suburbs of Mt. Pritchard recalls William Pritchard, a land speculator who in the 1880s owned land here and elsewhere in the Macarthur district. To honour Mr Pritchard's releasing from debt a number of landowners whom he'd financed who had defaulted in their payments because of The Great War, the estate was renamed Mount Pritchard in 1919. From the early settler days the general area had been known unofficially as Mount Misery, originally because of a story of one of the early settlers and his family camping there whilst travelling, losing their bullocks, and for three weeks remaining in misery until starvation compelled them to beat a retreat, minus bullocks and dray.

Mount Pritchard was originally home to the Cabrogal people who occupied much of the greater Fairfield area. Land in this area was allocated for settlement by convicts who had been transported to Australia for their part in the Irish Rebellion of 1798, one of whom was Joseph Holt. He was the first of many to establish farming which continued here until the 1960s when Mt. Pritchard was included for development as part of the Green Valley housing development project.

Lions Lookout: Located in Finder Park, Reservoir Road, Mt Pritchard, views from this lookout include many suburbs in the Liverpool area. No facilities.

Lansvale


Developed in the 1950s, Lansvale appears to have received its name as a result of a common practice of the day; to take the first part of a place name on one side and the last part of a place name on the other and come up with a new name for the suburb in between. Hence, in creating the name Lansvale, the Lans from Lansdown was added to thevale from Canley Vale. A subdivision here was sold as River Heights but there is no evidence to suggest it was ever considered as the name for this suburb.



A major feature of Lansvale is Mirambeena Regional Park, which consists of a string of parks and nature reserves on the banks of the Georges River and Prospect Creek stretching between the suburbs of Lansdown and Georges Hall. It caters for a variety of outdoor leisure activities, from model boating to sport and bushwalking. It was here that explorers Matthew Flinders and George Bass camped during their voyage of exploration up the Georges River in the early days of Sydney. Their visit is remembered in the name Flinders Slopes, one of the Park's five sections.
Moorebank


The neighbouring suburb of Moorebank features a mix of residential and industrial areas. Moorebank Shopping Village is the suburb's small shopping centre. Moorebank is named after Thomas Moore, the official Government boatbuilder who used the fine timber of his Marrickville property to build boats. After Parramatta, this area was one of the first to be opened up to the white population of the Sydney region, with the first grant being taken up in 1798. Gov. Macquarie saw great potential in the Liverpool / Campbelltown areas and came here often. He referred to this area, which was at the navigable head of the Georges River, as Moore Bank.

By the time of his death in 1840, Moore's property had been extended to 7,300 acres and included what is now Moorebank, Chipping Norton and the Warwick Farm Racecourse. Around that time, a coal seam some 2 metres wide was discovered here and brought a buzz of rumours of the area turning into a British Newcastle. This did not happen as the main seam was found to be too deep to mine and it remains underground. Orchards and vineyards continued to flourish until after World War II when the suburban sprawl swallowed up the area.

Moorebank is home to a purpose built remote control car race track. The John Grant International Raceway is located in Helles Reserve which is just off Helles Avenue, near the Moorebank Road and M5 intersection. The racetrack is run by the New South Wales Remote Control Race Car Club Incorporated, a not-for-profit club, and was host to the 2001 IFMAR World Championships for 8th scale racing which saw the worlds best 8th scale racers attend this event.

Casula


Casula is neighbouring suburb to the south of Liverpool on the Hume Highway. Originally the land was occupied by the Tharawal Aboriginal people but following the arrival of the First Fleet, they were pushed back from their traditional lands. In 1795, explorers George Bass and Matthew Flinders explored the Georges River and in 1798, grants of land for farming were made in the area. The soil was good and crops of corn, wheat and vegetables were soon being harvested.

The area was originally named by the white settlers after Holsworthy, Devon, England, where Governor Lachlan Macquarie married Elizabeth Campbell, on 3 November 1807. It was originally spelt as Holdsworthy until after World War II, when the 'd' was dropped and the name was applied to that section of the locality on the eastern bank of the Georges River. The name Casula was applied by land grantee Richard Guise after the place where he had lived in England. Another grantee was Ebenezer Bunker, a leading businessman in the young colony whose first contact with area was as master of the William and Anne, carrying 188 convicts of the Third Fleet. Bunker saw the colony's potential and returned, establishing numerous businesses including a successful whaling operation and a trading post on the Georges River at Liverpool.

Being heavily farmed in the 19th century, the area did not become suburbanised until the late 1950s. Much of the acreage in the central and southern portions were subdivided and developed over the next few decades but even now there are pockets of undeveloped land.

During World War I, a large Australian Imperial Forces recruitment and training reserve was located in Casula - a fact reflected by the name of one of its major residential streets, "Reserve Road". Casula's main claim to fame occurred during World War II when a company of 5,000 soldiers stationed there rebelled against the strict training regimen. The soldiers embarked on a drunken brawl, marching on nearby Liverpool, ransacked and looted several pubs, then hijacked several trains to Central station. After a night of destroying shops in the city centre, they sobered up the next morning and all but 15 gave themselves up.



Leacock Regional park: home to one of the last remaining stands of Cumberland Plain Woodland. It is also home to the critically endangered Cumberland Plain Land Snail (Meridolum corneovirens). The ridge line at the top of the park offers views to the Holsworthy bush land. The bellbird walking track takes you through the remnant stand of Cumberland Plain Woodland and can be linked to a track along the Georges River where a lookout can be found by the Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre. The 'Weaving Garden' bush regeneration group are currently bush regenerating within the reserve.



Casula Powerhouse Arts Centre: The Casula Powerhouse, which is situated next to Casula railway station, was a former 1950s power station. It reopened in 1994 as an arts centre housing many culturally diverse exhibitions from artists living in the South West Region of Sydney. Past projects includes Viet Nam Voices, Cybercultures, Shanghai Star, and Belonging. The centre closed in July 2006 to undergo significant renovations. The new centre opened on 5 April 2008 and counts a 326-seat theatre, new exhibition spaces, artist studios and residencies among its facilities.

Collingwood


The village of Collingwood, which once existed alongside the Georges River to the south of Liverpool, was the vision of wool merchant James Atkinson. He was the owner of the large Collingwood estate and had a dream to turn his land into a model English industrial age model town - which he escribed as "the depot for the agricultural and pastoral produce of the southern districts". His Collingwood estate was well positioned next to the Georges River and the great southern road, now the Hume Highway, a mile from the town of Liverpool.
Ashcroft


The neighbouring suburb of Ashcroft lies to the west of Liverpool on Elizabeth Drive, beyond Cabramatta Creek. The residential suburb was formed as part of the Housing Commission's Green Valley development in the 1970s. Ashcroft is named after the Ashcroft family who gave land in the area to the Housing Commission for its housing development here. The Ashcrofts were a pioneering family in the Liverpool area who were active in developing the local meat industry and the Homebush Abattoir. E.J. Ashcroft was a local butcher who served a term as the Mayor of Liverpool.

Parramatta to Liverpool Railside Trail

Photo: railtrails.org.au

If you are a train enthusiast you will enjoy this trail, as it follows the busy Parramatta to Liverpool line, providing enthusiasts lots of spotting on the way. The Parramatta to Liverpool Railside Trail forms part of the Sydney Regional Bike Network. It is mostly a widened concrete footpath beside roads that follow a railway line rather than being on the bed of a disused rail route. Care needs to be taken near railway stations, especially when trains have just arrived due to high pedestrian numbers and the path under the M4 can be tricky to find.
Holsworthy


European settlement in the Holsworthy district occurred in the mid 1790s with the clearing of land for a number of small farms. From 1797 to 1802 there were increasing hostilities between the original inhabitants and the new settlers. Gov. Macquarie visited the district in 1810 and established the adjoining town of Liverpool. Holsworthy appears to have been named after the town in Devon, England where Macquarie married his second wife Elizabeth in 1807.

A township called Eckersley developed within the boundaries of what is now the Holsworthy Field Firing Range. The Parish of Eckersley was opened for settlement under the Crown Lands Act of 1884. It was located between the Woronona and Georges Rivers on the original route from Sydney to Campbelltown, Liverpool and the Illawarra District.

Eckersley's fate was set in 1910 when Lord Kitchener, on a visit to Australia advising on military matters, went to Liverpool and declared Holsworthy as the site for a permanent Army encampment. Once the Army took possession in 1913, the rural settlement of Eckersley was abandoned and drifted into history. Very little remains of the village today. A dry stone wall is one of the few remnants of the suburb that never was.



Aboriginal Sites: The Holsworthy bushland retains many indigenous sites and has been referred to as "Sydney's Kakadu". There are more than 500 significant Tharawal sites in the area including campsites, tool making sites and rock art. The art is mostly engravings of hands, boomerangs and animals. The main difference between the Holsworthy art samples and others in the Sydney region is that red and white pigment appears to have been used equally for hand stencils while in other samples red clearly dominated. Charcoal, however, was the most commonly used pigment for artwork. The area also features a number of engraving sites. All of these are well preserved and appear to be telling a story.

The presence of the firing range since 1912 has restricted public access and urban development, resulting in most of the sites having been preserved in pristine condition. The majority of sites are located around the many watercourses which pass through the area. Located on a key travel route for trade purposes between the Cabrogal clan of the Dharug Tribe, which was centred on the Cumberland Plain, and the Tharawal on the south coast.

The sites recorded at Holsworthy include rock shelters, ochre stencils and carvings of animals and spirit figures. They are contained in 219 shelters with art and/or deposit, one shelter deposit, 69 axe grinding groove sites, five engraving sites, eleven grooves and engravings sites and one open site. Featured motifs include red and white stencilled hands, feet, boomerangs, wombats, macropods, fish, eels, turtles, bats, emus, birds, lizards and other animals.

The open campsite is where tools were made and exposes an indigenous industry with artefacts from the coast and up to the mountains having been found there. Of particular interest is an Aboriginal carving of a four-masted sailing ship, believed to depict James Cook's Endeavour, a rare record of exceptional interest relating to the earliest contact between the new arrivals and the indigenous Australians.



Holsworthy Concentration Camp: Between 1914 and 1919, a German Concentration Camp existed in what is today the Holsworthy Military Area. Under the provisions of the War Precautions Act, essentially any person in Australia with a German or Austrian link was liable under the Act to be termed "the enemy" and subject to internment. 6,890 people were interned there, of whom 700 were naturalised British subjects (Australian Citizens), 70 of which were Australian born. The internees included Serbs, Croats, Dalmatians, Swiss, Bulgarians, Americans, Belgians, Russians, Dutch and a Scot. They were later joined by captured ship crews, including the crew of the German Raider SMS Emden sunk by HMAS Sydney in a naval action off the Cocos Islands on 9th November, 1914, and residents from other British territories in South East Asia and the Pacific Region.
  • More



  • Holsworthy's Lost Railway Line: During World War I the Commonwealth Government decided it needed a branch railway to service the army facilities at Holsworthy, which included the Artillery Range, Ordnance (mounted guns and cannon) and Ammunition Stores, the Remount Depot and the Veterinary Depot and Prisoner of War camp. In fact the line was constructed using internee labour. It branched off the Macarthur Line before Liverpool station, crossing the Georges River via a bridge, the pylons of which remain today.
History of Liverpool

Liverpool is the fourth oldest urban settlements in Australia, founded on 7 November 1810 as an agricultural centre by Governor Lachlan Macquarie. He named it after Robert Banks Jenkinson, Earl of Liverpool, who was then the Secretary of State for the Colonies and the British city of Liverpool, upon which some of the area's architecture is based. Liverpool is at the head of navigation of the Georges River and combined with the Great Southern Railway from Sydney to Melbourne reaching Liverpool in the late 1850s, Liverpool became a major agricultural and transportation centre as the land in the district was very productive.

Until the 1950s, Liverpool was still a satellite town with an agricultural economy based on poultry farming and market gardening. However the tidal surge of urban sprawl which engulfed the rich flatlands west of Sydney known as the Cumberland Plain soon reached Liverpool, and it became an outer suburb of metropolitan Sydney with a strong working-class presence and manufacturing facilities. The Liverpool area also became renowned for its vast Housing Commission estates housing thousands of low-income families after the slum clearance and urban renewal programs in inner-city Sydney in the 1960s.


Collingwood House

The village of Collingwood, which once existed alongside the Georges River to the south of Liverpool, was the vision of wool merchant James Atkinson. He was the owner of the large Collingwood estate and had a dream to turn his land into a model English industrial age model town - which he escribed as "the depot for the agricultural and pastoral produce of the southern districts". His Collingwood estate was well positioned next to the Georges River and the great southern road, now the Hume Highway, a mile from the town of Liverpool.



View Larger Map

  • Get Directions


  • Liverpool Railway Station





Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone