Kingsford is a mainly residential area, situated directly south of the University of New South Wales, which is in Kensington. Many of the residents are students living in medium and high density housing. A large Australian Army depot lies in the east of Kingsford. At the centre of Kingsford, on Anzac Parade and Gardeners Road, there is a large roundabout connecting a public transport system to nine possible destinations via a large number of bus services. For this reason, this part of Kingsford is sometimes referred to as "nine-ways".
Where is it?: Kingsford is located 7 kilometres south-east of the Sydney central business district and less than 5 km from Coogee Beach
In a relatively short time, Kingsford has been transformed from being a relatively nondescript suburb, into an area dotted with good Indonesian and Malaysian restaurants, coffee shops, take-aways and by some of the best well-stocked Asian shops in Sydney. The change came about as a result of an influx of students from all over Asia attending the University of New South Wales, which is located in the suburb. It was the obvious place for these students to settle, being close to the University as well as the city, and serviced by good public transport.
Anzac Parade, from Kensington right through to Marboubra, is now known for its quality, budget priced restaurants and the place to go for nasi goreng, laksa, or gado dado as well as Thai, Malay and Chinese cuisine. That section of Anzac Parade between the University and the Gardeners Road roundabout in particular has become a meeting place for south east Asian students. Further south, in the main shopping area of Maroubra centred around the intersection of Anzac Parade and Maroubra Road, there are a further 20 or so restaurants specialising in the cuisines of South East Asia.
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
East Is East Boutique Markets
199 Anzac Parade, Kensington NSW 2033, Australia (Masonic Hall)
Trading: 1st Saturday of the month - 10am - 3pm
Type: Art and Craft, Artisans, Baby & Kids/Children, Designers, Fashion, Handmade, *Wheel Chair Friendly, University Markets
Phone: 0451 118 330
Fresh Food Market, Mascot
Botany Road & Gardeners Road, Mascot NSW 2020, Australia
Trading: Every Saturday - Rail, Hail or Shine - 8am - 2pm
Type: Art & Craft, Farmers, Produce, Organic
Phone: 0414 602 680
Fax: (02) 9705 0776
Kingsford Rotary Market
Cnr Anzac Pde & Rainbow St, Kingsford
Trading: Every Sunday
Phone: (02) 9326 4411
An open park area near Eastlake, Astrolabe Park's name recalls the French ship Astrolabe which, along with the Boussole, visited nearby Frenchmans Bay on Botaby Bay, around the time of the arrival of the First Fleet in January 1788. Louis XVI of France had commissioned the French navigator Jean-Francois de Galaup, comte de Laperouse to explore the Pacific. In April 1770 James Cook's expedition had sailed onto the east coast of Australia whilst exploring the south Pacific searching for Terra Australis or Land of the South. The Astrolabe and the Boussole were this ships that brought Laperouse and his expedition to Botany Bay. Eastlake was once known as Botany Swamps; it became Sydney's third source of water when water was pumped from here to a reservoir in Paddington from 1859.
The suburb of Kensington is the northern gateway to Randwick City along Anzac Parade. Key land uses include the University of New South Wales, the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) and the large open space area of the Australian Golf Course. The West Kensington Heritage Conservation Area is located in the north western corner of the suburb and is an excellent example of federation and interwar housing. Close to 60 per cent of all dwellings in Kensington are apartments ranging from 1930s to the present. The main town centre of Kensington is in a strip of primarily one- and two-storey shops along Anzac Parade.
The Kensington area started to develop in the late 1800s when the former Lachlan Mill estate was no longer required as a water reserve for Sydney and the ban on development of the water supply area was lifted. In 1889 a town planning competition was held for a model design for the new suburb. The first area to be released for sale was the triangle now bounded by Doncaster Avenue, Anzac Parade and Alison Road.
The locality of Kingsford was once known as South Kensington. It was named Kingsford to honour Australian aviator Sir Charles Kingsford Smith (1897 -1935), as was the nearby Sydney Airport. Kingsford was undeveloped until a land boom in the 1920s. In the 1940s, many Greeks settled in the area, particularly migrants from the island of Castellorizo (or Kastellorizo). Many opened businesses in the area; and, in 1973, they built the Castellorizian Club on Anzac Parade. Kingsford was originally intended to be the terminus of the Eastern Suburbs railway line; but in 1969, as a cost-cutting measure, the line was terminated at Bondi Junction.