Gore Hill


The names Gore Hill and Gore Creek commemorate the first land grantee, William Gore, a Provost Marshal under Gov. Hunter and Bligh who had a property of 150 acres in the area.. When the latter was arrested in the Rum Rebellion of 1808, Gore was also arrested and became one of Australia's first political prisoners. The rebel government sent him to Coal River (Newcastle) where he worked for several years alongside ordinary convicts. In 1810, Gov. Macquarie restored him to his former office and granted him land which today is bounded by Mowbray Road, Elizabeth Street to Artarmon Station and by a line north from Chelmsford Avenue to Mowbray Road.

Gore Hill is best known for being where the Gore Hill Freeway from Lane Cove to the Sydney Harbour Bridge starts and ends and as the location of the ABC's Sydney television transmission tower, which is about 170 metres high. For more than 40 years Gore Hill was probably best known as the location of the ABC's Sydney television studios which were established in 1956 and which operated until 2002, when the site was closed and sold, and the ABC moved its television operations to its combined TV-radio studio facility in Ultimo.

Fox Sports (Australia) has its state-of-the-art headquarters at Gore Hill, operational since late 2012. ATN Channel 7 also had a transmission mast at Gore Hill but this was demolished in the early 1970s. Gore Hill is also home to Royal North Shore Hospital and historic Gore Hill cemetery.


Lane Cove Bushland Park

Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.

Lane Cove Bushland Park
The valley of Gore Creek on Sydney's lower north shore is a beautiful, tranquil strip of bushland that has managed to survive the urbanisation of the surrounding area. The walking track alongside Gore Creek gives access to the Lane Cove Bushland Reserve which is dissected by River Road at Northwood. The section below River Road contains the picturesque Lilly Pilly Falls which can be viewed at close range via stone steps. The falls and water pool below it were once a popular picnic and bathing spot. Urban development upstream has severely affected the amount of water coming over the falls and he pool is heavily silted, but they are still quite impressive after heavy rain.


Lilly Pilly Falls

Cross the road opposite the entrance to Gore Creek Reserve on River Road, Northwood, and you are in the upper section of Lane Cove Bushland Park. You can head north, or east behind the golf course, for easy bushland walking. The north branch is a delightful, lightly wooded area of restored bush with some interesting flora and fauna. Like most bushland localities around Sydney, these natural reserves are at their best after rain, when the creeks and rapids are flowing, however paths can be more slippery. UBD Map 21 Ref A 12.

Gore Creek enters Lane Cove River through Gore Creek Reserve where barges were loaded with timber cut from the surrounding area. Vegetation north of River Road is a mix of open forest and rainforest, the latter being predominant in the steep-sided gullies of the upper section where the creek flows through a series of pools and races. A century ago, Paddy's Flats, located above a series of rapids, was once lush, shaded pasture where cattle grazed. Access to the reserve is from St. Vincents Road, Greenwich; Ronald Avenue, Gore Hill; River Road, Northwood; Cogan Place, Osborne Park. UBD Map 215 Ref H 7.

Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery


Gore Hill Cemetery is one of the oldest and largest remaining cemeteries in metropolitan Sydney. It was established on 19 May 1868 by the New South Wales politician William Tunks. The first body was interred in 1877, and until its closure in 1974, 14,456 burials took place. Most burials took place between 1900 and 1930. Scattered throughout the cemetery are the remains of a number of deceased persons initially buried in the Devonshire Street Cemetery. The remains were transferred before the redevelopment of Devonshire Street Cemetery in 1901. There are 17 war graves of Commonwealth service personnel of World War I, registered and maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Westbourne Street, St Leonards. Website >>

Gore Hill Brickworks Tunnel


Bricks were first made at Gore Hill in 1828 and continued until 1954. In 1873 E R Lanceley took over the Oswin Brickworks. In 1892 Lanceley formed a partnership with brickmakers John B Magney and O W Weynton, who leased the Gore Hill Brickworks later purchasing them in 1901. A siding was constructed from the North Shore Railway to a brickworks operated by the North Sydney Brick and Tile Company at that time. Horses hauled open 4-wheel goods wagons over the line. Soon after 1910, the line was extended through a tunnel under Reserve Road to join Gore Hill Brickworks No 1 Yard and the Oswin Brickworks No 2 Yard. The tunnel remained in use until 1965, when it was blocked from public access. Now forming part of Winevault complex, the Tunnel has been restored and transformed into a fully functional wine storage facility and wine tasting venue, and can be booked for wine tastings for groups of up to 18 guests. 11 Lanceley Place, Artarmon. Website >>





  • Get Directions







Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone