There are hundreds of sites throughout the Sydney metropolitan area which are the resting places of former Sydneysiders, famous and infamous, known and obscure. Many are no longer used as cemeteries with no evidence remaining of their former use. These are some of them, their grave stones a silent reminder of some of the more well known people buried there who helped shape Sydney.
Botany Bay is the resting place the first two Europeans to have been buried in marked graves on Australian soil. On the southern headland at the bay's entrance is the grave of Scottish Seaman Forbus (Forby) Sutherland, of James Cook's Endeavour who died of tuberculosis on 30th April, 1770, the day after the vessel was brought to anchor in Botany Bay. His body was brought ashore and buried the following day near a watering place used by Cook (the small creek still flows today) who named the nearby headland Point Sutherland in his memory.
Memorial to Forby Sutherland
On the northern shore is another grave, that of French Franciscan friar Claude-Francois Joseph (Pere) Receveur, who came to Australia on LaBousole in January 1788 at the time of the arrival of the first fleet. L'Astrolabe and LaBousole, commanded by La Compt de La Perouse, were on an expedition of discovery and exploration into the Pacific. They landed on 6th December 1787 at Maouna, in the Navigator Islands in the Samoan Group, where an exploring party was attacked by natives, 12 being killed and others wounded. Among the latter was Receveur, who was a chaplain, botanist and shoemaker. He succumbed to his wounds after landing on Australian shores.
Grave of Claude-Francois Joseph (Pere) Receveur
His burial, on 17th February 1788 on the La Perouse headland, marks the third recorded death and burial of an European on Australian soil. Forby Sutherland died in 1770, William Dampier's cook, John Goodman, died in August 1699 whilst in Shark Bay and a Dutch sailor of the Duyfken is known to have died and been buried near Cape Keerweer on the Gulf of Carpentaria in March 1606, though his name was not recorded. Receveur's tomb was erected by Baron de Bougainville in 1825 near the grave site. It replaced a copper plate which Gov. Phillip had nailed to the tree under which Receveur was buried which in turn had replaced a board left by La Perouse that had fallen down.
UBD Map 296 Ref P 14 / UBD Map 316 Ref J 5
Sydney's First Cemeteries
During the early years of the colony, no official records were kept of deaths nor was land set aside for burying the dead until 1792, therefore the locations of all burial sites cannot be established with 100% accuracy. It is known that at least four sites were used during the colony's first four years. Two sites in The Rocks are known to have been used for this purpose by the first fleeters. Official records refer to a convict burial site "at the extremities of the lines (four rows of convict huts) where since our arrival the dead are buried". This description places it within the block bounded by Essex, Gloucester, Grosvenor and Harrington Streets.
Another site, used for the burial of seamen and marines, was an area known as Campbell's Ridge at Dawes Point. It later became the garden of merchant Robert Campbell. It was here that Australia's oldest existing gravestone was erected. Its inscription reads: "In memory of George Graves late boatswain's yeoman of HMS Sirius who departed this life ye 10th July 178(8) aged 48 years". The headstone was dug out of the ground in the early 1870s and later found serving as a paving stone in Bethel Street, the lane between The Rocks Visitors Centre and the Old Coroner's Court in George Street North. The stone is now on display in the Coach House at Vaucluse House.
Indications are that the colonial death rate was far higher than expected and that these two sites filled up far quicker than expected. This would have come to a head with the arrival of the second fleet. More than half of its convict cargo died on the journey out or within a few months of their arrival. To cope with the increased demand, a third burial site was opened near the Military Barracks in what is now Clarence Street. No records indicate when this burial ground was first used but it appears to have been some time in 1790. An official letter dated September 1792 which speaks of the opening of a new burial ground on the site of the Sydney Town Hall dates the year in which the Clarence Street site was closed as 1792.
George Street with Burial Ground on left
George Street Burial Ground:
This fourth site, known in its day as the George Street Burial Ground, is referred to today as the Town Hall Cemetery. The cemetery existed on the land now occupied by the Sydney Town Hall. Prior to the establishment of the cemetery, the land had been farmed by a recluse, named Tom Dick. When he was murdered, no one claimed the land so its ownership reverted to the state, whereupon it was set aside for burials. It was used for this purpose from 1792 until 1819 when it was replaced by the Sandhills Cemetery on the corner of Elizabeth and Devonshire Streets, a site now occupied by Central Railway Station.
The George Street site was the first burial ground to be located outside of what was then the town area. It was extended by Gov. Macquarie when the Assistant Surveyor marked out the site for St Andrew's Church in 1812. Over 2,000 bodies were interred at the George Street Burial Ground. When the site was resumed for the construction of Sydney Town Hall in 1869, many remains and grave stones were removed to Rookwood Cemetery.
Burial Ground excavations
In 1974 during excavations for the Town Hall shopping arcade, a number of brick vaults, one of which contained a coffin, were uncovered. The proposed excavation of a services basement in the western half of the Peace Hall led to archaeological investigations being conducted beneath the Town Hall in 2007/2008. Archaeological excavation was undertaken in January 2008 and a total of 66 graves were recorded, with some areas being excavated in late 2009 as they were inaccessible at that time. The majority of graves were found to have been exhumed at the time of the construction of the Peace Hall in the 1880s. The original ground levels had been cut down at that time, in most cases to coffin depth. Nearly all the graves had evidence of coffins.
Sandhills (Devonshire St) Cemetery
The Sandhills Cemetery
Bounded by the Devonshire Street Subway, Barlow (then called Gibbs), Elizabeth and Pitt Streets on the site now occupied by Central Railway Station, the Sandhills Cemetery or Old Devonshire Street Burial Ground was used from 1819 to bury Sydney's dead. This Cemetery served for nearly fifty years between 1819 and 1868.
In 1901 to facilitate the building of Sydney's Central Railway Station, the whole of the Sandhills Cemetery was resumed by the State Government. Relatives of those buried in there were invited to apply for their exhumation and relocation at Government expense. Some were moved to cemeteries at Rookwood, Camperdown, South Head, Waverley and Gore Hill. The rest were transferred to Bunnerong Cemetery near Botany.
A spur line was built to Botany for the sole purpose of transporting exhumed coffins to the Botany cemetery. In 1906, the Sydney railway terminal was moved from Redfern to an imposing new building constructed on the site of the Sandhills Cemetery, known today as Central Railway Station.
Green Hills Burial Ground
South Creek, Bridge St, Windsor: Though there are no marked graves, this burial ground holds the remains of many convicts who died in the early decades of the 19th century. It is believed to be the resting place of Bexley the Highwayman, a bushranger who was hanged for robbery on Pitt Town Road in 1884; Philip Cunningham, the Irish political prisoner who led the Vinegar Hill uprising at Castle Hill on 5th March 1804; first fleeter Edward Whitton and his wife Anne Slater.
UBD Map 86 Ref K 8
All Saints Cemetery, Parramatta
Cnr Brickfield and Fennell Sts., Parramatta: First used in the 1840s, this cemetery contains the graves of many early settlers to the area. These include that of explorer and pioneer settler Gregory Blaxland. A Memorial Wall lists the 2,000 people interred in this historic cemetery. The cemetery has only 175 original headstones remaining.
UBD Map 191 Ref F 15
Graves of Elizabeth and Thomas Ruse, St. John's Cemetery, Campbelltown
St. John's Cemetery, Campbelltown
-Cnr George and Broughton Streets: Contains the grave of First Fleeter James Ruse, the first land grantee in Australia who in 1789 took possession of land in Parramatta for a farm. Ruse was the first convict to be emancipated, completing his 7 year sentence within a few months of arrival in NSW. A replica of Ruse's tombstone stands in the front garden of Barrengarry House, the administration block at James Ruse Agricultural High School.
UBD Map 346 Ref P 6
St Matthews Anglican Church, Windsor
St Matthews Anglican Church, Windsor
St Matthews Anglican Church at Windsor was designed by the convict architect Francis Greenway, and is recognised as one of his greatest architectural achievements.
The church's graveyard is the resting place of many earlier pioneer farmers of the Hawkesbury district. The oldest gravestone, dated 1810, is that of second fleet convict Andrew Thompson, who was Green Hills' (now Windsor) first JP and Magistrate. He arrived a 19 year old son of a Scottish clothing merchant aboard the Pitt in 1792. In time he developed his own business interests which are rumoured to have included an illicit still on Scotland Island on the Hawkesbury River. Gov. Macquarie composed the epitaph on his gravestone.
Grave of Hawkesbury pioneer, Thomas Arndell
Edward Miles is one of a number of First Fleeters buried at St Matthews. Transported on the Scarborough, he married convict Susannah Smith in 1803. Farmers in the Windsor area, both were buried here. Fellow first fleeter James Freeman, a labourer, died a pauper at Windsor on 28 January 1830, aged 67. Freeman escaped a death sentence for stealing flour by agreeing to be the colony's first public hangman. His grave is unmarked. First fleeter John Best was buried on 9th March. 1839, age 82. His grave is also unmarked. After emancipation, Best became a farmer, recorded in 1828 as holding 470 acres with 30 cleared. Henry Kable, transported for house theft, joined fellow businessman Simeon Lord and James Underwood in a successful sealing business. His marriage to Susannah Holmes on 10th February 1788 was one of the colony's first (five ceremonies were performed that day). During his life Kable was a night watchman, an hotelier and chief constable and ran the first stage coach in Australia from his pub, The Ramping Horse (opened 1798). He died on 16th March 1846 at Windsor.
Edward Pugh, transported with the first fleet for stealing a goat, became a respectable farmer, living west of Parramatta. He died a pauper on 30th November 1837. Ann Forbes was transported on Prince of Wales at 15 years of age for stealing 10 yards of material. She married Thomas Huxley and settled near Windsor. Buried at St Matthews, she was the last of the first fleeters to die, age 80 years.
A number of second fleet convicts are also associated with the church and cemetery. Elizabeth Lee was sentenced to seven years for stealing a grey cloak valued at sixpence. Age 20 on arrival on the Mary Anne in July 1791, she died on 11th June 1860 at Richmond, the wife of Thomas Heather. He was also a 2nd Fleeter, arriving on Neptune. Transported for highway robbery, he became a farmer and dealer of Windsor. Heather died in March 1827 and was buried at St Matthews. Mary Harrison, who was sentenced to seven years transportation at the tender age of 16 years for stealing haberdashery from her employer, arrived on the same vessel. She partnered another convict, Edward Robinson, and had the first of seven children at the Convict Settlement at Toongabbie in 1795. A stained glass window of St. Matthews Church is dedicated to two of their children who became well respected citizens of Windsor.
UBD Map 86 Ref E 9
Bunnerong Cemetery, Botany
Numerous graves of early settlers and Sydney personalities are located here. They include Bushranger John Dunn, an accomplice of the infamous Ben Hall and Frank Gardiner. Dunn was just 19 years of age when he was hanged in Darlinghurst Gaol. His headstone was erected by Mrs. Pickard, Dunn's Godmother, which reads: "Memory of John Dunn, who died March 19th, 1866. Aged 19 years. May he rest in peace. Amen. He has gone to his grave but we must not deplore him though sorrow and darkness encompass his tomb - the Saviour has passed through its portals before him and the light of his love was the lamp through his doom".
Grave of John Cadman
John Cadman of Cadman's Cottage who was in charge of the Governor's boats in the time of Lachlan Macquarie's years as Governor of NSW; George Panton, the colony's first postmaster; Barnet Levy the Jewish entrepreneur who introduced live theatre to Australia; Ellis Bent who was Colonial Judge-Advocate in Lachlan Macquarie's time.
William Minchin, the Lieutenant who carried the dispatch to London about Governor Bligh and the Rum Rebellion; The suburb of Minchinbury is named after him as the area was originally granted to him; Mary Reiby, born Mary Haydock who was the colony's first business woman. Convict Mary married Thomas Reiby, the colony's first free merchant. Most of these were originally buried in the Old Devonshire Street Ground, Sydney, also known as the Sandhills Cemetery.
UBD Map 296 Ref M 8
St John's Cemetery, Parramatta
St John's Cemetery, Parramatta
Australia's oldest surviving cemetery and the most intact Georgian cemetery in NSW. In use between 1789 and 1824, it contains the oldest known undisturbed grave in Australia, marked by a slab of river sandstone which bears the inscription: "H.E. Dodd 1791." Henry Edward Dodd was Gov. Phillip's butler. He was buried there on 29th January 1791, a year after the opening of the cemetery. The grave stones of a number of other first fleeters are to be found in the cemetery including NSW's first Surveyor-General, German born Baron Augustus Alt; Surgeon John Harris; John Palmer (Purser of HMS Sirius); convict John Martin.
The grave of Henry Dodd - the oldest known undisturbed grave in Australia
Described as 'a Negro', Martin was sentenced at the Old Bailey an 3 July 1782 to transportation for 7 years, and on 1 November 1782 was put on 'Den Keyser' for Africa on the unsuccessful attempt to establish a penal colony there.
Martin was one of the few to survive the trip, and even rarer, to return to Britain still as a convict. When he returned he was assigned to the hulk 'Ceres' at Newgate, then embarked on 'Alexander' on 6 January 1787 for Australia. At the time of his arrival in Port Jackson he technically had only one year to serve.
Also buried here are pioneer churchman Rev. Samuel Marsden; merchant Robert Campbell after whom Sydney's Campbells Cove is named; bridge builder David Lennox (no headstone remains); explorer and schoolmaster of the Government school, Edward John Eyre; pioneer local settler Rowland Hassall; colonial doctor D'Arcy Wentworth; the founder of Melbourne, William Batman.
Lesser known is convict Sarah Darke whose headstone remains to this day. Sarah was only 18 years of age when sentenced to 7 years transportation for stealing 4 pairs of women's' stays with another girl. She arrived in Sydney on the convict transporter Indispensable on 30th April 1796. Sarah married another convict, Andrew Snowden, in March 1812 at St Johns Church and lived happily with him until her death on 13th July 1828.
Another 18th century convict buried here is Susannah Nairne, transported to NSW on Kitty in November 1792. She died in March, 1814, age 58. Andrew Snowden was sentenced to 7 years transportation for stealing goods, and arrived in NSW per Pitt in February 1792. He married Sarah Darke, a convict, on 21st March 1812 at St Johns Church. He was buried in St John's Cemetery in November 1833 but no headstone remains.
Convicted of assault and theft, convict George Clarke arrived per Royal Admiral in October 1792. He was sent to Toongabbie to work in the fields, removing stumps, clearing timber and planting crops. He enlisted as a volunteer with the NSW Corps. April 1800 and served as one of the eight personal body guards of Lachlan Macquarie. He died on 14th January 1811 and he was buried at St John's, but no headstone remains.
East Street, Lidcombe: when it opened, Rookwood Cemetery was officially named The Necropolis (meaning "City of the Dead"), Haslams Creek. I is the largest multicultural necropolis in the Southern Hemisphere that documents the cultural and religious diversity of the Australian community. Divided into various different areas for religious denominations, it was created in 1868 and has some of the most prestigious, if not somewhat haunting, family vaults anywhere in the world.
Various groups conduct tours which visit the graves of people of note. These include John Gowing, co-founder of Gowings store; David Jones, founder of David Jones stores; Kenneth Slessor, poet; James Toohey, brewer; Jimmy Governor, outlaw; Peter Dodds McCormick, songwriter (Advance Australia Fair); Louisa Lawson, suffragette; Lilian Fowler, Australia's first female mayor; Bea Miles, well-known Sydney eccentric; Jack Lang, former Premier of New South Wales; Joseph Cahill, former Premier of New South Wales; John Fairfax, newspaper proprietor; Abe Saffron, well-known Sydney underworld figure. 121 victims of the Dunbar, which was wrecked on the cliffs below The Gap in August 1857. They were buried in a mass grave.
Rookwood Mortuary Station
Rookwood was served by a rail spur from the main line from 1867 until 1948. Mortuary stations served each of the three sections of the necropolis, with a fourth at the main junction and a fifth on Regent Street adjacent to Sydney Central Station. In 1951 Cemetery Station No. 1 at the head of the rail spur was sold and moved stone by stone to Canberra in 1957 to become the All Saints Church, Ainslie.
Coast Cemetery, Long Bay
Coast Cemetery, Long Bay
This old cemetery is attached to Prince Henry Hospital and began life as the resting place of a number of lepers who lived in a nearby colony during the late 19th century. It was here that people who had died of infectious diseases were buried. These included the Smallpox Plague of 1881; the Bubonic Plague of 1901 which ran rife through The Rocks; and a Spanish Flu outbreak brought home by World War I soldiers.
Grave of Firt Fleeter, Peter Hibbs, Wisemans Ferry Cemetery
Wisemans Ferry Cemetery
-Located on Laughtondale Gully Road, this cemetery contains the graves of pioneer settler George Laughton; miller James Singleton and first fleeter Peter Hibbs. Hibbs was a Marine with HMS Sirius and later captained the Norfolk on its voyage when George Bass and Matthew Flinders became the first to circumnavigate Tasmania in 1798 (they named Point Hibbs in his honour).
The graves of ferry operator Solomon Wiseman and his first wife are also located there. Wiseman was notoriously hard on the 300 convicts assigned to him, so much so he became known as "King Solomon". One convict who died as a result of an horrific flogging he had received at Wiseman's hand is said to have put a curse on Wiseman. Years later, the vault in which Wiseman and his wife were buried at St Mary Magdelene's Church was broken apart by a wild storm in 1884. Many graves were uncovered, Wiseman's vault in caved in and his bones were scattered. The late King's skull was said to have been used by youths as a football. The remains of his skeleton were re-buried in the local cemetery.
Dramatically located on top of the cliffs above the Pacific Ocean at Bronte in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, the Waverley Cemetery is noted for its largely intact Victorian and Edwardian monuments. Australia's most well known cemetery, it was opened in 1877 on the site of an old horse tram terminus. Waverley Cemetery was used during the filming of the 1979 Mel Gibson film Tim. The Cemetery was designed to function along similar lines to Pere Lachaise in Paris and General Cemetery Company's Kensal Green Cemetery in London. Since it opening, there have been over 86,000 interments including burial cremation, memorials and Mausolea.
Grave of poet, Henry Lawson
It contains the graves of many famous Australians, including Reuben Uther, one time owner of Sydney's Imperial Arcade; Australian writers Henry Lawson, Robert Quinn, Dorothea McKellar and Henry Kendall; WH Paling, founder of the Paling's music shops; Lt-Col. George Johnston of Annandale who arrested Gov. Bligh in the Rum Rebellion; Jules Archibald, founder of The Bulletin magazine and benefactor of the Archibald prize; Fanny Durack, who was the first Australian woman to win an Olympic Gold Medal (1912); cricketer Victor Trumper; aeronautics pioneer Lawrence Hargrave.
As well as nationally famous figures the cemetery contains the graves of notable Sydney identities including Robert "Nosey Bob" Howard, the state's first salaried executioner who served until 1904, and Sydney crime figure George Freeman. UBD Map 257 Ref 11
South Head General Cemetery
South Head General Cemetery
South Head General Cemetery located on Old South Head Road in Vaucluse had its first interment in 1869 having been established much earlier to cater for the needs of the growing population of the isolated district. Today the cemetery has over 6,000 gravesites and memorials in four acres. The cemetery was established to cater for the needs of the population in the growing Vaucluse area; its first interment was in 1869.
The unusual headstone of Maroubra Speedway racing champion Reginald Gordon "Phil" Garlick, at South Head Cemetery. He lost his life when he crashed his Alvis during a race on 8th January, 1927.
There are a number of well-known people interred at the cemetery, including Frank Packer, newspaper proprietor, and other members of the Packer family who are buried in a family tomb; members of the Fairfax family, also newspaper proprietors; Sir John Robertson, former Premier of New South Wales; Australia's first Prime Minister Edmund Barton; Sir Walter Edward Davidson, Governor of New South Wales; Roy Redgrave, founder of the Redgrave acting dynasty; and the architect Howard Joseland. There is also a memorial to Juanita Nielsen, who disappeared in mysterious circumstances in 1975, presumed murdered.
St Thomas' Rest Park, Cammeray
St Thomas' Rest Park
West Street, Crows Nest: Resting place of Elizabeth Berry, the wife of pioneer settler Alexander Berry, who gave the land for a burial ground; pioneer settlers and businessmen Edward Wollstonecraft and George Lavender who are remembered in the names of suburbs on the Lower North Shore; explorer Capt. Owen Stanley; Lt-Col. George Barney, the engineer responsible for the construction of Fort Denison and the Victoria Barracks.
UBD Map 22 Ref E 11
Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery
Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery
Gore Hill Cemetery is one of the oldest and largest remaining cemeteries in metropolitan Sydney. It was established on 19 May 1868 by the New South Wales politician William Tunks. The first body was interred in 1877, and until its closure in 1974, 14,456 burials took place. Most burials took place between 1900 and 1930. Scattered throughout the cemetery are the remains of a number of deceased persons initially buried in the Devonshire Street Cemetery. The remains were transferred before the redevelopment of Devonshire Street Cemetery in 1901. There are 17 war graves of Commonwealth service personnel of World War I, registered and maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Westbourne Street, St Leonards
St Bartholomew's Church, Prospect
St Bartholomew's Church, Prospect
Contains the grave of Thomas Willmot, the first Shire President of Blacktown, and William Lawson, one of the three who found a way across the Blue Mountains in 1813. Lawson, a local resident, was active in the building of the church. It was from the top of Prospect Hill that Captain Watkin Tench first saw the Blue Mountains in 1789. In 1791 Governor Phillip settled 12 families on small farms around the base of the Hill. These and later settlers were part of the Parish of St John's Church at Parramatta. St Bartholomew's Church was completed in 1841. The first burial in the church cemetery was of Ann Goodin, aged 15, on July 18 1841. UBD Map 189 Ref E 15
Headstone of John Leys, St Stephen's Cemetery, Newtown
St Stephen's Cemetery, Newtown
The church was built between 1870 and 1874 to a design by Edmund Blacket, a distinguished architect who was also responsible for the buildings of the University of Sydney. The land was a gift by Elizabeth Bligh, widow of the former Governor, William Bligh.
The adjoining cemetery contains the graves of many early pioneers and notable citizens including Edmund Blacket who designed the church; members of Caroline Chisholm's family; John Connell, who settled in the Hurstville area and person after whom Connells Point is named; shopping magnates Anthony Hordern and Joseph and Caroline Farmer; and explorer Sir Thomas Mitchell. The grave of explorer Sir Thomas Mitchell has a milestone alongside it (above), an appropriate addition given he was NSW's Surveyor General for many years.
The most unusual headstone in the cemetery is that of John Leys, foreman engineer at Morts Dock in Balmain during the 1870s. His headstone is actually the blade of a ship's propeller. UBD Map 14 Ref B 10
Balmain Pioneers Memorial Park
Balmain Pioneers Memorial Park
One of Leichhardt's most popular parks, it was erected on the site of the old Balmain Cemetery, the final resting place for over 10,000 people. In the 1860s a group of five people formed the Balmain Cemetery Company. The company purchased land on the corner of Norton and William Streets, Leichhardt and the land was subdivided into small plots and sold as grave sites. In 1886 the area was transferred to the Leichhardt Municipal Council.
The Balmain Cemetery covered 11 acres and by 1912 contained 10 608 graves. The first recorded burial was that of Henry Guttridge, aged 45, on 26 January 1868. The last recorded burial was that of George Holley, aged 79, on 7 May 1912. The majority of burials took place before December 1908.
In 1918 the Commonwealth Government strongly advocated the conversion of the cemetery into a recreation area, but this was opposed by the State Government as the cost of removing the bodies was a particular concern. Over the next 20 years several other unsuccessful attempts were made to convert the area and during this time the cemetery was neglected and the condition of the existing headstones deteriorated.
In 1941 the Cemetery was dedicated as a public park. 14 tombstones were removed to Camperdown Cemetery, two moved to Ebenezer Presbyterian Churchyard, and two to St Barnabas Church ground, Broadway, Sydney. Others were used as monuments or for stone walls and the levelling of the park.
Included among the graves in Balmain Cemetery were those of Edmund Blacket, architect, and his wife Sarah. Their tombstone was moved to Camperdown Cemetery. At this time the tombstone of the merchant and politician who the City of Townsville was named after, Robert Towns, was moved to Townsville. Also buried in Balmain Cemetery were the architect Ferdinand Hamilton Reuss, the merchant William Salmon Deloitte, and Captain Thomas Stephenson Rowntree.
Conversion commenced in 1942 and the park was called Pioneer's Memorial Park, dedicated to the pioneers of Leichhardt. In 1949 the War Memorial which stood at the corner of Marion and Norton Streets was re-erected in the park as a monument to the soldiers killed during both World Wars.
St. Peter's Cemetery, Campbelltown
Cordeaux Street, Campbelltown. Gravestones of First Fleeters Henrietta and her husband, Edward Fletcher. Pioneers buried in St Peter's Cemetery include John Warby, William Bradbury, the James Tyson and the ill-fated Frederick Fisher of "Fisher's ghost" fame. Many emancipated convicts took up land grants in the district, and ended their days here. It is also the resting place for the first Anglican Rector of St Peter s, Thomas Reddall.
Gravestones of First Fleeters Henrietta and Edward Fletcher
Henrietta Fletcher was a first fleeter, born on 22nd October, 1787 off the Cape of Good Hope on the first fleet ship, 'Lady Penrhyn' to Jane Langley and either Phillip Shewing/Scriven (Lady Penhryn) or Thomas Gilbert (Charlotte).
St Peter s Anglican Church was designed and built by Francis Lawless and opened in 1823, and is believed to be the oldest building in Campbelltown CBD. In 1877 the Church had its roof and tower heightened and the box windows replaced with Gothic Style windows. In 1962 the organ gallery was restored and the windows returned to their original box frame architecture. A gallery for the organ and choir was also added. Further restoration of the building took place in 1999. The cemetery has been in use since the 1820s, at a time when iron gangs toiled on the local roads.
St Anne's Church, Ryde
St Anne's Church, Ryde
Cnr Church St and Victoria Rd: Ryde was the first non-convict settlement outside of Sydney and Parramatta and the St Anne's cemetery, opened when the church was erected in 1826, contains the graves of many of its earliest white settlers. These include first fleeters James Bradley and Edward Goodwin. Bradley was transported for 7 years for stealing a handkerchief with a value of 2 shillings. He arrived aged about 23 and died in 1838, a free man and farmer in the Ryde district. Goodwin was sentenced to transportation for 7 years, aged about 22, for stealing material with a value of 100 shillings and was a fellow passenger with Bradley on the transport ship Scarborough. He died in January 1839, also a free man and resident of the Ryde district.
Other people of note buried at St Anne's include Maria Smith, known as Granny Smith, who developed a hybrid apple tree which produced the now famous Granny Smith apple named in her honour; family members of explorer and pioneer local settler Gregory Blaxland; Lady Eleanor Parkes, the wife of statesman Sir Henry Parkes; Emma Oxley, the wife of explorer and Surveyor-General John Oxley.
St. Luke's Cemetery, Liverpool
St. Luke's Cemetery, Liverpool
The cemetery of St Luke's Anglican Church in Liverpool contains the grave of Mary Bateman (1775-1829), wife of First Fleeter George Gess (Guest). Mary was herself a transportee, having arrived on the second fleet's Lady Juliana. Richard Guise was the first recorded burial in St Lukes cemetery in 1821.
St Luke's Church was designed by Francis Greenway in 1817 and completed in 1824. It is the oldest Anglican Church still in use in Australia. Robert Cartwright was the chaplain at St Luke's in 1820 and was buried in what is now known as "Pioneer's Memorial Park" in 1856. During the construction of St Luke's a convict hung himself in the unfinished tower.
Family crypts, Macquarie Park Cemetery
Macquarie Park Cemetery
Macquarie Park Cemetery at North Ryde is the final resting place of a number of significant Australians. Prime Minister, William Morris Hughes, and the pioneer of Australian film making, Charles Chauvel, are buried in the Anglican section. Nearby is the grave of Richard Hayes Harnett Jr. (1850-1938), Mosman's first Mayor when the Council was incorporated in 1893. Others include the former Governor-General, Sir John Kerr; Major General Sir George Wootten, who took the surrender of the Japanese in Borneo in 1945; poet Christopher Brennan; Ethel (Turner) Curlewis, novelist, author of 'Seven Little Australians'; Rev Theodore (Ted) Noffs, Ted Noffs Foundation, Pastor of the Wayside Chapel; author (Shiralee) D'Arcy F Niland.
Many show business celebrities from TV, radio, theatre and movies such as Johnny O Keefe, Ricky May, actors Lottie Lyell and Raymond Longfield are buried there. Macquarie Park, formerly known as Northern Suburbs Cemetery, was opened in 1922 and is one of Sydney's most important North Shore burial places.
Arabanoo was an Aborigine who was taken captive by Marines at Manly in December 1788. Arabanoo became Gov. Phillip's helper, and assisted in the care of aborigines who were struck down with smallpox. He eventually succumbed to the disease himself and was buried in the grounds of Government House in May 1789. His unmarked grave is believed to be located somewhere in the area bounded by Bridge, Bent, Phillip & Macquarie Streets, Sydney
The oldest identifiable European grave site in New South Wales is that of Elinor McGee, wife of convict Christopher McGee, who occupied land in the area of Camellia. A drunken Mrs. McGee and her child were drowned in the Parramatta River in 1793 on their way home from Sydney by boat. Their grave is on the bank of the river behind the James Hardie & Company factory at Camellia near where the pair drowned.
UBD Map 211 Ref M 4.
Bennelong, the Aborigine who befriended Sydney's first Governor, Arthur Phillip, was buried near the river north of Kissing Point in an unmarked grave in what is today Bennelong Park. He was buried in the orchard of brewer James Squire, a loyal friend.
The grave stone of Captain Philip Gidley King, founder of the first European settlement on Norfolk Island and the third Governor of New South Wales, can be found in St Mary Magdalene Anglican Church graveyard, Magdalene Street, St Marys. King died in England on 3 September 1808, but his gravestone was brouyght out to Australia many years later.