Carlingford


Carlingford is a suburb of Sydney on the north-eastern outskirts of the Greater Western Sydney region. It is on the south-eastern outskirts of the Hills District and western outskirts of Northern Suburbs.

Transport: Carlingford railway station is the terminus of the Carlingford Line on the Sydney Trains network. The Carlingford Line, which opened on 20th April 1896 as a private railway, then as a public line on 1st August 1901 is a mostly single-track line. There are limited services outside of peak hours. The M2 Hills Motorway, part of the Sydney orbital road, runs through northern Carlingford providing a route to the city and North Sydney. Since the Westlink M7 Motorwaywas finished, completing the Sydney Orbital, it has replaced the Cumberland Highway as the north-south national highway.

Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.

Bidjigal Reserve


A favourite bushwalking spot on the North Shore, Bidjigal Reserve is an extensive nature reserve which falls within the original Baulkham Hills Common that was set aside for grazing cattle in 1804. Incorporating Eric Mobbs Recreational Reserve, Darling Hills State Forest, Don Moore Reserve and Ted Horwood Reserve, it follows Darling Mills Creek and its tributaries through the suburbs of Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills, Carlingford, North Rocks and Northmead. A number of walking paths give access to the heart of what is the largest remnant of natural bushland in the area. Infamous 1820's bushranger Jack Donahoe, who carried out many robberies in the area, is reported to have used the gorge as a hideout.

Yarralumla Wildlife Sanctuary


Yarralumla Wildlife Sanctuary in North Rocks follows the bushland valleys of Hunts and Pages Creeks, tributaries of Darling Mills Creek which flow into Lake Parramatta. A haven for local native flora and fauna, the 2.3 km long reserve has a walking trail beside the creeks which can be accessed from Statham Avenue and Northam Drive, North Rocks and Lindisfarne Crescent, Carlingford. Upstream from the confluence of the two creeks, Pages Creek passes over a particularly beautiful waterfall. It can be accessed with ease from Palmview Crescent, North Rocks or Ferndale Avenue and Edinburgh Avenue, Carlingford.
UBD Map 191 Ref L 4

Hunts Creek and Seville Reserves are part of a small corridor of bushland linking with Lake Parramatta through a network of significant bushland remnants on the The Kings School property. There are other, larger bush patches, such as Bidjigal Reserve and Pennant Hills Park, within a few kilometres. This is important because some of the more mobile animals, such as parrots and bats, can make use of the wider, regional habitat by moving between these patches. Backyards with native trees, grasses and shrubs can also form an important part of the habitat network.

North Rocks
The nearby suburb of North Rocks appears at first to be mis-named, given it is not north of the Sydney locality called The Rocks. In reality, it has nothing to do with the inner city suburb. The name dates back to the beginning of the settlement at Parramatta and is older even than the name of the city itself, which at first was called Rosehill. In 1789 Governor Phillip reserved large areas to the north and west of Rosehill for the use of Government stock - the present Northmeadand Westmead. The reserve to the north was described as extending as far as 'the North Rocks'. The area was also known as Jerusalem Rocks.


Hunts Creek Reserve

The rocks after which North Rocks was named were a massive sandstone outcrop which terminated the ridge on the south side of Hunts Creek. These rocks so dominated the landscape and were such prominent features that they gave their name to the locality, but were not preserved. In 1841 when it was decided to build a new gaol at Parramatta, a shrewd contractor bought the rocks, as they consisted of the best sandstone in the district - and were very conveniently situated. His tender was accepted in 1844, and much of the rocks that gave North Rocks its name became the walls and flagstones of Parramatta Gaol.

Dundas Valley

Ponds Creek

The name 'Dundas' is one that crops up frequently in Sydney's north. In fact there are over 100 places around the world named in honour of the Dundas family of Scotland, mostly in parts of the former British Empire. The name Dundas was first used in Sydney's north west in 1799, possibly recalling Henry Dundas, principal Secretary of State for the Home Department in London. The name was first used by Rev. Samuel Marsden for the 100 acre property he took possession of in 1796 at Thompson's Corner. The suburb of Dundas and surrounding areas were originally known as "The Ponds", a name still reflected in The Ponds Creek. The first private land grants in Sydney made in 1791 were in what is now North East Dundas and adjoining Dundas Valley and Ermington. A number of streets in Dundas Valley are named after ships of the First Fleet (Sirius, Supply, Alexander, Charlotte and Friendship) and the Second Fleet (Neptune).

Dundas Valley has been shaped by the Ponds Creek, around which many of the area's parks are located. The valley is bounded by both steep and gentle slopes feeding into the creek. The Ponds walk is a marked 6.6 kilometre track which follows the Ponds and Subiaco Creeks from Eric Mobbs Memorial Park in Carlingford to Jim Crowgey Reserve in Rydalmere. This walk follows a number of the parks in the Dundas Valley area. To reach the start of the walk, catch the M54 bus from Parramatta station, along Pennant Hills Rd. to Carlingford (near Marsden Rd.) The track ends not far from Victoria Road at Rydalmere.

Thomas Mitchell opened a quarry in 1832 on the site of the park that now bears his name. The quarry was a supplier of blue metal, used in road construction, into the 20th century. The 'blue metal' was quarried by convicts and carried to Ermington Wharf where it was ferried to Sydney. The quarry exposed a large volcanic formation between 200 and 250 million years old. Due to the geological significance of the area, it was visited by a number of famous scientists, including Charles Darwin and Douglas Mawson.

History of Carlingford
References to Aboriginal people in the Carlingford historical record in the 18th, 19th and into the 20th century remain scant. The inhabitants of the Carlingford area at the time of the arrival of the First Fleet at Port Jackson in 1788 were the Wallumedegal or Wallumattagai people. The Wallumedegal appear to have been of the Eora language group. The clan name seems to have been derived from wallumai, the snapper fish, combined with matta, a word used in association with place  or sometimes waterplace .

Early land grants in the Carlingford area in the 1790s included those to Cox, Mobbs and Arndell. The name Carlingford came into use officially on 16 July 1883 for the name of the post office located at Mobbs Hill. There are varying accounts of how the name Carlingford was suggested. One version was that local Frederick Cox heard one of his employees describe similarities between Mobbs Hill and the town of Carlingford, County Louth, located in the east of Ireland. Alternatively, and perhaps a happy alignment with the former version, was that Carlingford was named in honour of Lord Carlingford, who was the British Under-secretary to the Colonies 1847-1860

Prior to 1883 the locality was known under various names and lacked any clear boundaries. The fluidity in district names in the colonial period reflected changes in the patterns of land use and access to the area as the process of colonisation proceeded. Names of nearby areas were sometimes vaguely associated with what became Carlingford and even after that name was settled usage remained fluid for a time.

Fruit growing had become the primary industry in the area by the 1830s as the larger estates were divided into smaller tenant or owner occupied holdings and a second wave of settlers moved into the area. Orange, other citrus, stone fruit, apple and pear orchards were common interspersed with crops such as potatoes and peas. Timber getting began around 1817 with the government convict sawmill operating until about 1830 at the Pennant Hills Sawing Establishment at Barren Ridges (Epping). Timber was hauled to the Pennant Hills Wharf opened in 1817 at Ermington on the Parramatta River. Timber continued to be cut by private contractors into the 20th century. The Pennant Hills blue metal quarry at Dundas was also active from the 1830s.

As Sydney rapidly expanded, following World War II, Carlingford underwent rapid urbanisation. James Ruse Agricultural High School, established in 1959, is a testament to the agricultural history of Carlingford as well as the rapid pace of urbanisation; which soon made the school, and its large farm, somewhat of an anomaly amongst the 1970s and 1980s housing which dominate the suburb.

Carlingford was a favourite spot for the Northwood Group of landscape painters. In the 1930s-1940s this social group would gather to paint outdoors and included Lloyd Rees, Roland Wakelin, John Santry, Marie Santry and George Lawrence. Wakelin completed a number of paintings inspired by the district. Three include: Carlingford Pastoral (1935) incorporates built heritage elements of the Mobbs Hill landscape - two water reservoirs, St Paul's Church and the church hall; Afternoon, Carlingford (1949) inspired by Carlingford hills, houses and farms; similarly, House at Carlingford(1950) was inspired by the locale's buildings and land.

The area of Carlingford to the east of Pennant Hills Road and North of Carlingford Road, was built mostly in the years, post WWII. There is an area of streets named after famous North African battle fields.

Names and localities in the region

The Ponds

From 1791 The Ponds was the name given to a series of lakes in the nearby valley (later known as Dundas Valley).

The Eastern Farms (east of Parramatta), first settled in 1792, it became the Ryde district.

The Northern Boundary broadly referred to the limits of settlement north of Parramatta and could be used variably to include areas later known as North Rocks, Carlingford, Pennant Hills or North Parramatta.

The Field of Mars Common was established in 1804 in the area to the north west of what was to become Carlingford and the parish of the same name was established in 1821. The name Field of Mars too was used loosely to cover anywhere from Ermington to Epping including Carlingford.

North Brush was also used variously to identify the bush north of the Parramatta River covering what is now known as West Ryde, Eastwood, Carlingford andDundas. Brush Farm on the later border between Carlingford and Eastwood took its name from this usage and was applied to the estate (c. early 1800s) and then the house on the land (c.1820s).

Mobbs Hill was named after the Mobbs family whose land was nearby.

Pennant Hills referred variously to the ridge from Dundas to Mobbs Hill, the quarry in what is now Dundas Valley and the Government wharf at Ermington (1817). Pennant Hills was used in naming the location of St Paul s Church built on Mobbs Hill in 1850 and the associated denominational school which commenced around the same time. The school occupied purpose built premises next to the church from 1872 (demolished in the 1970s). When the new public school opened in the same building in January 1883 it was called Pennant Hills South Public School, changing its name to Carlingford Public School in 1887, shortly before moving into new premises across the road. By that date, the name Carlingford had become associated with the locality up to North Rocks andPennant Hills referred to the area beyond. However, when the railway line opened from Clyde to the Carlingford district in April 1896 the station was called Pennant Hills (the station being on Pennant Hills Road) but was later changed to Carlingford in August 1901.

There was another Carlingford railway station earlier on. When the main northern railway line opened in September 1886 what was to become Epping Station (name adopted in July 1899) was called Field of Mars, then Carlingford (adopted in April 1887) with the area between it and the Carlingford district to the west known as East Carlingford after the post office of that name opened in October 1890. The Epping area had also been referred to formerly as Barren Ridges.



View Larger Map

  • Get Directions









Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone