Caringbah


One of the major shopping, commercial and regional centres of the Sutherland Shire, Caringbah is 24 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district. Caringbah once stretched from Woolooware Bay on the Georges River to Yowie Bay and Burraneer Bay on the Port Hacking estuary. A number of Caringbah localities have been declared as separate suburbs but still share the postcode 2229. These suburbs are to the north, Taren Pointon the Georges River and to the south, Port Hacking, Lilli Pilli, Dolans Bay and Caringbah South on the Port Hacking River. Caringbah features a mixture of residential, commercial and industrial areas.

Transport: Caringbah is a central suburb of the Sutherland Shire, considering some of the main roads intersect here. President Avenue and the Kingsway both run from Sutherland via Miranda in the west, to the popular beachside suburb of Cronulla in the east. Taren Point Road leads north to theCaptain Cook Bridge, St George area and further north to the Sydney CBD. Caringbah railway station is on the Cronulla branch of the Illawarra line on the City Rail network. Caringbah Bus Service runs buses to Lilli Pilli and Westfield Miranda and BusLink runs services to Cronulla and Westfield Miranda. Sydney Buses provide bus services to Rockdale and Westfield Miranda, but there are only limited Sydney Buses services that travel into the commercial area near the railway station.

Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.

Markets
Caringbah Rotary Market
Council Car Park, Kingsway & President Ave, Caringbah
Trading: Last Sunday of every Month - 7am - 1pm
Type: General
Phone: 0458 768 279
Email: caringbahmarkets@gmail.com
Website: http://www.caringbahmarkets.com.au

EG Waterhouse Camellia Gardens


Overlooking Yowie Bay in Sydney s south, EG Waterhouse Camellia Gardens feature camellias, ferns and azaleas in a natural bush setting. It features a large collection of Camellias and Azaleas, with many rare and unusual species. There is nearly eight acres to explore, good parking available and the gardens bloom Four Seasons with many and varied flowers and plants. Location: President Avenue, Caringbah. Open daily 8.00 am - 5.00 pm; 8.00 am - 6.00 pm Sat and Sun in Summer.
Facilities: toilets, picnic and barbecue area, tea-house.

Alcheringa Reserve


Forest Road, Miranda: the reserve incorporates playing fields and a ribbon of natural bushland alongside Alcheringa Creek. The creek flows over a pretty 2-metre high waterfall in the reserve. The bays of the northern shores of Port Hacking once featured many such falls, this is one of only a handful that have survived the encroachment of suburbia.
UBD Map 333 Ref J 8

Aboriginal rock art

Hand stencils in a rock shelter in the Cabbbage Tree basin catchment. Photo: R.J. West

The area we now refer to as Port Hacking was known to the Dharawal People as Djeebahn, or Deeban. That Port Hacking must have been a favourite camping ground of the Aborigines is proved by the number of rock shelters, or, as they are locally styled, gunyahs, along its shores. In 1918 the worst tragedy in terms of human life in and around Port Hacking was reported due to the collapse of one of these shelters.

Sadly, the encroachment of suburbia has seen many of them destroyed by development or vandalism, or covered over by the landscaping of gardens. As with the various Aboriginal people around Australia, the Dreaming stories told through the rock art were the way in which information was archived  and passed on through the generations. Animals feature in these stories because of the prominent place they play in the stories of creation and of their lives - the successes and failures, the reasons for things and so on, but for the coastal peoples, the Orca, or Killer Whale, assumed dominance.

Some engravings, carvings, paintings, tool-making sites and midden sites remain, however, providing a source for research, and the passing of the story by story, song and dance. Middens can also be seen at many points along the shores of the Port Hacking River, including Little Moon and Great Moon Bays, Yowie Bay, Gymea Bay, Beauty Point and Greys Point. Middens reveal much of the Aboriginal life and history around Port Hacking. Flints, a skull and bone implements have been found by archaeologists during an excavation at numerous locations, such as Yowie Point. Spear sharpening grooves are visible on the rocks surrounding creeks in the area. Many overhangs on these shores still bear the stains of smoke from Aboriginal cooking fires.

The existence of surviving Aboriginal cultural sites has been carefully recorded, resulting in an amazing catalogue of artifacts found around Port Hacking. Studies have revealed the particular importance of Warumbul (in the Royal National Park) as a gathering place where the Law would be told, and the surrounds contain clear indications of its importance in the passing down of the story of the local people. Understandably, the most easily identifiable archaeological relics occur in the areas of the least European disturbance, in particular in what is now the Royal National Park. There are well-recorded rock art, paintings, tool making and burial sites. Some of these sites may be easily viewed.

In order to protect what is left of the evidence of Aboriginal culture on the rock faces or Port Hacking, the location of such sites is not widely broadcast. A few sites, such as those on the Jibbon Headland near Bundeena, have been signposted and have interpretive signage. If you are interested in viewing Aboriginal sites, visiting them is recommended. Should you be bushwalking and come across rock art of other occupation sites, by all means stop and look, but please leave them as you found them.

Woolooware


Woolooware is a small suburb located 24 kilometres south of the Sydney central business district. Woolooware stretches from Woolooware Bay in the north on the Georges River estuary to Burraneer Bay and Gunnamatta Bay in the south on the Hacking River and Port Hacking estuary. It borders the suburbs of Cronulla, Caringbah, Burraneer and Kurnell. It was originally a thickly forested area, with mangrove swamps around Woolooware Bay. Those were later reclaimed to create parks and playing fields including Endeavour Field, Woolooware Golf Course and Cronulla Golf Course. The area was subdivided after the railway line from Sutherland to Cronulla was opened in 1939. Woolooware is home to Southern Cross Group Stadium and the Cronulla Sharks Leagues Club.

The name, first used for Woolooware Road, is derived from the Aboriginal word woolowa, meaning a muddy track.

Burraneer


Burraneer sits on the peninsula of Burraneer Point, on the north shore of the Port Hacking estuary. Cronulla is located across Gunnamatta Bay. The suburbs of Dolans Bay, Port Hacking and Caringbah South are located across Burraneer Bay. The villages of Maianbar and Bundeena are located on the opposite bank of Port Hacking. Burraneer is a mostly residential suburb. Burraneer is an Aboriginal word meaning point of the bay. It was named by Surveyor Robert Dixon in 1827, who chose many Aboriginal names for many of the bays in the area. The closest railway station to Burraneer is Woolooware railway station a station on the Cronulla branch line of the Sydney Trains Eastern Suburbs and Illawarra Line or T4 line.

Lilli Pilli


Lilli Pilli is a small suburb on the south west corner of the Caringbah Peninsula on Port Hacking. Lilli Pilli was named for the Lilly Pilly, the native myrtles that grew prolifically on the point. Lilli Pilli is located on the north shore of the Port Hacking estuary, the suburbs adjacent to Lilli Pilli are Caringbah, Port Hacking and Dolans Bay. The villages of Maianbar and Bundeena are located on the opposite bank of Port Hacking.
Dolans Bay



The neighbouring suburb of Dolans Bay, to the east of Lilli Pilli, occupies the south eastern section of the Caringbah peninsula. The suburb is named after the small inlet which opens onto the much larger Burraneer Bay. Houses overlook the bay and some line the water's edge together with boatsheds. Boats are moored in the bay, which provides protection from the southerly wind. Burraneer Bay features a private marina and slipway with full repair facilities.

Dolans Bay was named after a land owner in the area called Dominick Dolan. In 1858 Mary and Andrew Webster paid 108 pounds and 15 shillings plus a yearly peppercorn quit rent for their land in this area. The Websters sold their land to Dominick Dolan in 1863. The suburb is 26 km south of Sydney.

Yowie Bay


Yowie Bay is a neighbouring suburb on the bay after which it is named. The name is derived from an Aboriginal word 'yowie' or 'ewie' meaning 'echo'. Named in 1827 by Surveyor Dixon and spelt by him as Ewey. It has also been suggested that Ewey is a corruption of 'ewes' (female sheep). Sheep were bred there by Thomas Holt (1811-88) in the 19th Century, and he employed some shepherds from Yorkshire, England. 'Yowie' is a Yorkshire word for lamb. The name of the area was also referred to as 'Yowie', being an Aboriginal name meaning 'place of echoes'. Land was originally released here as the Village of Weeroona in 1889. By the 1920s it had become a popular place to build the family holiday house. These days it is part of suburbia.



Alcheringa Falls: There are numerous creeks on the a northern shore of Port Hacking which pass over races and/or waterfalls on their way down the rocky hillside to Port Hacking. Extensive suburban development has reduced the flow of water in them substantially and a handful, including the creek which flows through Alcheringa Park, in Forest Road, Miranda, have been protected from further destruction by the retention of a ribbon of natural bushland around them. Alcheringa Creek flows over a small but pretty series of falls in the bushland beyond the sports oval of the reserve before entering Yowie Bay. The rocks at the top end towards Forest Road contain the remains of Aboriginal rock engravings which are still visible.
Miranda


Westfield Miranda shopping centre

The neighbouring suburb of Miranda is known as a commercial centre for the southern suburbs. Miranda has a mixture of low, medium and high density residential. Miranda is noted for the Westfield Miranda shopping centre (mall), adjacent to the Miranda railway station. The shopping centre runs parallel to The Kingsway. Built on three blocks, crossing over Kiora Road and Wandella Road, this shopping centre was once notable for being the largest shopping centre in the Southern Hemisphere.

Thomas Holt (1811 88) owned the land that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla. James Murphy, the manager of the Holt estate named the area after Miranda, a character in the William Shakespeare play The Tempest. In a 1921 letter, James Murphy said "the name Miranda was given to the locality by me as manager of the Holt Sutherland Company which I formed in 1881. I thought it a soft, euphonious, musical and appropriate name for a beautiful place." It is believed that the character in the play was named after Miranda de Ebro, a town in Spain.

History


The name 'Caringbah' is an Aboriginal word for a pademelon wallaby. The suburb was originally called Highfield, but it is unclear whether this was a position description or whether it was named after an early resident. Caringbah was used from 1911, after the steam trams began operating between Cronulla and Sutherland. Thomas Holt (1811 -88) owned most of the land that stretched from Sutherland to Cronulla in the 1860s. Most of the area around Miranda and Caringbah was used for market gardening from the 1880s. Caringbah was still used for orchards and farming until after World War II. The railway line to Cronulla opened in 1939, which led to a boom in development.



View Larger Map

  • Get Directions





Australia For Everyone: Ph: 0412 879 698 | Email
Content © 2017, Australia For Everyone