Campbelltown Arts Centre
A thriving administrative centre for the Macarthur district on the south-west outskirts of the Sydney metropolitan area, it is easy to forget that Campbelltown was berthed in the formative years of the colony of New South Wales. The area that later became Campbelltown was inhabited prior to European settlement by the Tharawal people. Not long after the arrival of the First Fleet in Sydney in 1788, a small herd of six cattle escaped and weren't seen again by the British settlers for seven years. They were spotted, however, by the Tharawal people. In a rock art site called Bull Cave near Campbelltown, they drew a number of cattle with pronounced horns. The Tharawal described the cattle to British explorers and in 1795 the British found a herd of around 60 cattle grazing in the area now known as Camden.
Old Cambelltown Town Hall
Click on or tap an attraction to read the description. Click or tap again to hide the description.
Fishers Ghost Festival: Queen Street, Campbelltown: An annual event that celebrates one of Australia's most famous ghosts, the unlucky victim of a murder, Fred Fisher. Fred left home on June 17, 1826 and was never seen again - alive that is. His spectral visage was spotted sitting on a bridge pointing to a paddock where his body was later found. Many people have reported seeing old Fred. The Fisher s Ghost Festival runs November 4-19 and ghost tours and a special dinner are held each year. Fisher s Ghost is also remembered in the name of the watercourse, Fishers Ghost Creek. It flows through Koshigaya Park, which was created on the site of the paddock where Fred s body was found.
Public transport: train to Campbelltown.
Bradbury Arts and Crafts Market
Bradbury Shopping Village, The Parkway, Bradbury
Trading: Every 1st Saturday of the Month
Type: Art & Craft
Phone: (02) 4626 1203
Brands On Sale Undercover Markets
Brands On Sale Shopping Centre, 1st Floor Car Park, 32 Queen Street, Campbelltown
Trading: Every Saturday & Sunday. Opens 26th & 27th November - 8am - 3:30pm
Phone: 0449 735 557 or 0419 121 303
Campbelltown Undercover Market
32 Queen St, Campbelltown,
Trading: Every Saturday and Sunday
Phone: (02) 4645 0000
Campbelltown Boot Hill Market
Campbelltown Road, Minto NSW 2566, Australia
Trading: Every Thursday and Saturday
Type: Trash & Treasure
Phone: (02) 9603 9777
Hurley Park resevoir
Hurley Park: An historic corner of Campbelltown which contains a number of restored convict built relics. Built between 1838 to 1840 and financed by local settlers, they consist of a reservoir which was the town's water supply until 1882, a spillway flowing to a tank from which cattle could drink. Dumaresq Street, Campbelltown. Public transport: train to Campbelltown, walk east on Hurely St, left into Dumaresq St. Park at end of Dumaresq Street.
The Stables Museum: 6 Lithgow Street, Campbelltown. UBD Map 346 Ref L 5 Open 1st, 3rd and 5th Sunday of each month. Entry fee applies. Former stables of the historic Georgian homestead Glenalvon (next door). It features a display on the area s history presented by the local historical society.
Public transport: train to Campbelltown station.
Smiths Creek Reserve: Junction Road, Ruse: A preserved strip of bushland stretching from Lumeah in the north to Ruse in the south. Its waterfalls and pools have long gone, thanks to the laying of drainage pipes along the watercourse, however the bushland surrounding the creek has escaped destruction. An important habitat for local native flora and fauna, the reserve is a natural corridor for koalas passing through the area between Wedderburn and Holsworthy. A number of sightings are recorded each year. The reserve is subject to preservation work to by local residents to remove weeds and encourage the regeneration of native flora. UBD Map 347 Ref D 5
Public transport: train to Campbelltowm, Bus no. 883, alight at reserve.
Centenary Lookout: Centenary Park, Macquarie Avenue, Campbelltown: Offers panoramic views towards the Campbelltown central business district and the surrounding area. UBD Map 346 Ref P 6
Facilities: grassed area, children's playground
Public transport: train to Campbelltown, Bus No. 884, 885, 886. Alight cnr Broughton St & Phillip Ave.
Eschol Park: This was once a major winegrowing property which had a 60 ha vineyard and a three-storey winery. Established around 1860 by William Fowler, Eschol Park wines won a Gold Medal at the 1878 Paris Exhibition. An infestation by the Phylloxera mite destroyed the vineyard in the 1890s. Used during World War II as a home for interned staff of the German Embassy, it now houses a restaurant. The estate has been subdivided for housing. The street of the estate recall wine and grape varieties.
14 Eschol Park Drive, Eschol Park. UBD Map 326 Ref H 3. Public transport: train to Campbelltown, Bus No. 878, 897, alight at Epping Forest Rd.
Australia s largest botanical gardens, it features plants from all over Australia and will eventually carry all 25,000 known species. Includes a Wattle Garden, Banksia Garden, Arboretum and local woodland conservation areas. Facilities: shop, bookshop, walking tracks, picnic and barbecues. Mt Annan Drive, Mt Annan. UBD Map 325 Ref K 16. Open daily 10.00am - 4.00pm (April - Sept) and 10.00am - 6.00pm (Oct - March)
Public transport: train to Campbelltown, Bus No. 894 - 899 to Mt Annan
Off Camden Valley Way, Narellan. Open 10.00am - 5.00pm Sun and Public holidays. Entry fee applies.
Features 18 historical aircraft as well as several tanks and ground support vehicles. Flights in hot air balloons, helicopters, a restored vintage de Havilland Tiger Moth and modern aircraft are available at nearby Camden Airport in Macquarie Grove Road. UBD Map 323 Ref J 10
Public transport: train to Liverpool, Bus No. 850 to Camden, Bus No. 32 to airport
Historic farm where the Macarthurs bred their famous merino sheep. The farm contains the most historic farm buildings in Australia, the earliest dating from 1820, and the Macarthur family burial ground. In 1817, Macarthur returned from exile in England with a collection of vine cuttings obtained from the top vineyards of France, which he planted at Belgenny and Penrith. The Belgenny vineyard was tended by German vinedressers whom Macarthur brought out from the Rhine Valley. The winery remained operational for many years. Its ruins remain still visible. It has been replanted in recent times not far from its original site. Owned & operated by NSW Dept. of Agriculture.
Facilities: working farm, educational and environmental tours, historic displays, function centre, childrens playground, picnic facilities. Entry fees apply. UBD Map 344 Ref F 16. Camden Park Estate, Elizabeth Macarthur Avenue, Camden. Open Sundays, other days by appointment.
No direct access by public transport.
Georges River Road, Kentlyn: A sizeable nature reserve surrounding the confluence of Peter Meadows Creek, Punchbowl Creek and the Georges River. A protected habitat for a variety of flora and fauna, the reserve also protects a number of Aboriginal sites including rock paintings and grinding grooves located near the southern bank of Peter Meadows Creek before it enters the Georges River. Other art and habitation sites are located around Punchbowl Creek beyond the Basin but they are in the restricted access area of the Holsworthy Military Reserve on the east bank of the Georges River. There are a total of 27 recorded Aboriginal sites in the Campbelltown region containing 184 individual examples of rock art, most of which is vertical art on cave and overhang walls on the banks of Myrtle Creek (parallel to Hansens Road west of Ben Lomand Road), Peter Meadows Creeks (in the reserves on its south bank) and the Georges River (Simmo s Beach Reserve and other reserves to the south of Ingleburn Weir). UBD Map 328 Ref G 10
Public transport: train to Campbelltown, Bus No. 883 to reserve (limited services).
Camden Valley Way, Catherine Field. Open daily. Historic homestead and winery, part of which were built in the early 1800s with convict labour for a French Nobleman, Gabriel Louis Marie Huon De Kerillion, who was tutor to John Macarthur s sons. The property, then known as Buckingham, was re-named Gledswood in 1816 by its new owner, James Chisholm, who was once baled up by the wild colonial boy , Jack Donahue. It was Chisholm who established the vineyard and a winery which had a cellar with a capacity of 20,000 bottles. Today, the vineyard has 28 ha of Traminer grapes under cultivation. Activities include boomerang throwing, sheep shearing, sheepdog mustering, scenic trail rides, craft shop, barbecue and picnic facilities. UBD Map 305 Ref P 9
Public transport: train to Liverpool, Bus No. 850 to Gledswood
Dharawal State Recreation Area and Nature Reserve is bounded by Lake Cataract, Lake Woronora, Appin and Holsworthy. Dharawal shelters threatened plants and animals in the Sydney sandstone region and has important Aboriginal sites.
Location: 45 km south-west of Sydney CBD, access is from Darkes Forest Road off the Princes Highway or the Bulli-Appin Road. Educational walk through the park (bookings essential ). National Parks & Wildlife Service Bulli, 02 4268 4089.
This park protects Sydney's water supply with pristine bushland and wilderness areas. Limited bushwalking and bush camping are permitted except in the 3 km zone around Lake Burragorang. Walks through wilderness require topographic map and compass, and all walkers should be experienced and well equipped. Located west of Lake Burragorang between Warragamba Dam and Wombeyan Caves Road, 110 km south of Sydney.
No direct access by public transport
Burragorang Lookout: Burragorang Lookout, located some 20km west of Camden, provides breathtaking views of Lake Burragorang, (formed by the flooding of the Burragorang Valley in 1958 when Warragamba Dam was built), the Nattai Wilderness and the distant Blue Mountains. Great scenery, but otherwise there is not a lot to do here, so the vehicle entry fee charged is a bit hard to justify. Reached via a picturesque drive which takes in the villages of The Oakes and Oakdale. Burragorang Road, Oakdale.
Facilities: shaded picnic tables, barbecues, toilets, childrens playground. No access via public transport.
Pioneer settler John Macarthur, wanted to establish sheep in the colony, and took a liking to the prime grazing land that the cattle had found. He convinced the British government to overrule the local administration and grant him 5,000 acres (20 km2) just south of the Nepean River in 1805. Four years later a number of other grants were made to farmers between Camden and Liverpool, and the region's prosperity as an agricultural region was underway. Governor Lachlan Macquarie felt a permanent settlement would lead to order in the area and so Campbell-Town was born in 1820. Campbelltown, like its namesake in Tasmania which Macqurie also established, gets its name from Elizabeth Campbell, Macquarie's wife.
It was during the town's early years that Campbelltown's most famous incident occurred. In 1826, local farmer Frederick Fisher disappeared. According to folklore, his ghost appeared sitting on a fence rail over a creek just south of the town and pointed to a site where his body was later found to be buried. In memory of the incident, the Fisher's Ghost festival is held each November in Campbelltown.
The old town centre, as laid down by Macquarie, is still the main commercial area and includes the Queen Street shopping strip, Campbelltown Mall, Campbelltown railway station and bus interchange, the council chambers and a number of historic buildings. The main residential area is to the south and east of the town centre. To the southwest is a second commercial area based around Macarthur railway station which includes the University of Western Sydney and the Macarthur Square shopping centre.
The City of Campbelltown has a number of connections with bushrangers. It was here that the body of John Dunn, the last surviving member of the Kelly Gang, was placed on display for public curiosity at the Old Butchers Arms Inn after being hanged at Dubbo gaol. Dan Morgan, who was referred to as Mad Dan Morgan because of his wild character, was born in Campbelltown. Morgan terrorised travellers on the Sydney to Melbourne road in North East Victoria long after Ned Kelly had been captured. After being shot dead in the head, Morgan's body was sent to Melbourne for scientific purposes.