Argyle PlaceLocation: Millers Point
Argyle Place is a mostly intact row of Colonial Georgian Terraces beside the Millers Point end of Argyle Street. It is part of an historic streetscape comprised of a row of terraces, a central park and a dominant church, giving Argyle Place the appearance of a typical English village square. The creation of Argyle Place commenced by Governor Macquarie however meant the area was not fully formed until after cessation of quarrying of the nearby rockface in about 1865.
Argyle Street was named by Gov. Macquarie after County Argyle, Scotland, the place where he grew up. In the early years of Sydney, The Rocks was a divided community separated by a rugged and steep rocky outcrop which forms the ridge of the peninsular to the west of Sydney Cove. Building had taken place on either side of the ridge, but people wishing to travel from one side to the other had to either go the long way around Dawes Point or climb a series of rickety stairs which joined the eastern and western sections of Argyle Street. Parts of Observation Hill near where Argyle Street intersects Kent Street was extensively quarried in the early 19th century.
Until the Argyle Cut was created, the part of Argyle Street to the east of the Sydney Harbour Bridges southern approaches did not exist. That part of the street alongside the Garrison Church was within the churchs grounds. Argyle Place was named by Gov. Lachlan Macquarie after County Argyle, Scotland, the place where he grew up.
Argyle Place Park The reserve was known as Argyle Place Reserve until 1933, after which it became known as Argyle Place Park until 1977. The name now refers to the roadway.
22-26, 30, 32 Argyle Place: (1832 onwards) This row of terraces appears much as it did in the mid 19th century.
Osborne House, 34 Argyle Place (1826): A Regency style brick painted stuccoed townhouse with Greek Revival detailing. A carriageway leads to stone flagged courtyard.
46, 48 Argyle Place (c1850): A stone 3 bedroom Italianate terrace featuring an asymmetrical facade. It is constructed of painted stuccoed masonry walls, corrugated galvanised iron roof with decorative cast iron friezes, balustrades and painted timber joinery.
62, 64 Argyle Place (1864): A fine two storey mid Victorian terrace house in mostly original external condition. The building features paint finished rendered masonry with decorative window box ledges, and key stones above arched first floor windows. Corrugated galvanised iron roof, cast iron lace columns and ground floor balustrading in Victorian Italianate style.